Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 10:18 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle bully View Post
nope, sorry. You get scraps with the rest of the rabble. This is as far as your privilege gets you! Jams on the other hand has a career that is immune to all this so he will be scoffing at you condescendingly from his gated community. The one that has it's own exclusive driverless vehicle ride sharing program.

Must be nice ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 10:20 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Basic income. It's going to become a necessity going forward.
No need for basic income, everyone will just become YouTubers/social media entrepreneurs and millionaires!

Old 01-16-2018, 10:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Well if they were actually producing viable working prototypes of flying cars in the 1960's that were ready to be mass produced then it would be comparable to self driving cars today. A better analogy would be the predictions of colonies on Mars in the coming decades. There could be reasons why that will never happen. Flying cars never happened because its simply easier, safer and more cost effective to roll along the surface of the earth than fly above it at least for short distances and with fewer passengers. They have enough trouble keeping the whole drone thing under control.

I am not going to insist that colonies will happen on Mars, no way to know at this point or if so when. But I do think self driving cars will be on the streets very soon. Sooner than most here think.
Well, when people refer to 'flying cars', usually they mean hovering cars, like the landspeeder in star wars, a vehicle that sits about 12" off the ground, and has no wheels. These are the types often seen in sci fi movies.

In reality these would be anti-grav or electromagnetic vehicles, a technology that does exist, but is suppressed due to how devastating it would be on certain industries and economies.

I encourage anyone to read up on how the 'Invention Secrecy Act of 1951' played a major part in keeping technology like this out of public access. Its goal was to suppress any technology that would be too potentially destructive to large industries or the authority of the Govt.

Im actually surprised self drive cars was not suppressed using ISA, its too late now, but they had their chance decades ago.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I agree completely -- technology is
1. destroying more jobs than it creates
2. putting entire classes of people out of work with no skills
3. enriching the rich even further
Thats kind of strange, the Invention Secrecy Act of 1951 was designed and created to suppress any new technology that had the potential to be 'too destructive' to existing industry or effect the Govts ability to exert its authority.

I guess 'too destructive' only refers to effects on the upper class?

Old 01-16-2018, 10:38 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Nope, sorry. You get scraps with the rest of the rabble. This is as far as your Privilege gets you! JAMS on the other hand has a career that is immune to all this so he will be scoffing at you condescendingly from his gated community. The one that has it's own exclusive driverless vehicle ride sharing program.
Nope, I'm right there with the rest of humanity. I work a white collar job, but I'm not myopic enough to pretend that because I'm not an unskilled laborer that I am safe from AI and automation and machine learning. I see the reality ahead of us all.

You will, too. And probably sooner than you want to believe. Technology doesn't care about privilege.

Humans Need Not Apply:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

Old 01-16-2018, 10:40 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats kind of strange, the Invention Secrecy Act of 1951 was designed and created to suppress any new technology that had the potential to be 'too destructive' to existing industry or effect the Govts ability to exert its authority.

Replacing workers with robots hurts the worker not the industry, and removing the ability of citizens to control their own vehicles does not hinder the government's ability to exert it's authority, it enhances it.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:16 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm in automotive design, and am still floored by the aggressive time lines. My guess would have been somewhere within 8-10 years until it hits mainstream.

I'm just curious how a self driving vehicle would handle this situation. Two lane on ramp coming on to a 4 lane freeway. It's snowing out, the plow trucks have been out but have pushed heavy amounts of snow across the lanes, and the road is pretty much snow covered. 500 ft beyond the on ramp the out side lane has been blocked due to a huge pot hole. Vehicles are side by side on the on ramp, with others behind. What will the driverless vehicle on the outside on ramp lane do ?
hard to envision but it sounds like you are viewing self driving cars as individual units. In fact they will be cooperative working together. My car will slow to make room for yours. Your car will signal to plow to clear the way. Pothole would have been reported and filled because this situation was predicted by AI. AI advised a crew should be sent to fill the pothole due to the high chance of a snowstorm.

or there is a jam, poeple get upset and it does not happen again. The absolute beauty of AI driven cars is that once this happens a few times it stops happening ever. The current "human" model we don't learn nearly as fast, but with AI logging any and all issues we fix things fast.

example, it took humans decades to figure seat belts save lives and should be required, AI would have seen that pattern in with days or weeks. I believe we would see the snow plow driver followed by two AI plows or maybe the other way around. 3 AI machines clearing the road and 1 human team clearing the ramps .

There will be many situations where AI is simply not ready, but those areas will be restricted by the AI until they are ready. It will start in cities, suburbs and highways. it will spread into every nook and cranny over time.

it may well be that to leave "normal" driving areas you get into a more independent unit that costs 3 times as much per mile but that has much more advanced abilities that allow it to drive through heavy snows, or off road or out of communications etc.

but what is clear is that we can already build self driving cars, they dont work under all circumstances and they cost too much, but they are real and they work.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

it is a different world now. Our competitors are global and the first corp/nation to create a true AI smarter than humans may become the richest and most powerful corp/nation the world has ever seen.

Thus the madcap race. there is no turning back, but what we can do is form an alliance where the US, japan , china, EU and the rest of the world, work together to build the world an AI. Not for nations, not for power but to avoid a single "winner" nation.

I could bang on for days or i could just repeat the refrain "GOD IN A BOX"

I believe the great boxed god is due to arrive very shortly. As a nation and as a species we are totally unprepared. We may well face the biggest boon and the biggest risk.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:05 PM

734 posts, read 351,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Replacing workers with robots hurts the worker not the industry, and removing the ability of citizens to control their own vehicles does not hinder the government's ability to exert it's authority, it enhances it.
Robots don't pay taxes so the government will need to figure out how to replace that lost revenue. I imagine taxes on everyone will be going up even more.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer6583 View Post
Robots don't pay taxes so the government will need to figure out how to replace that lost revenue. I imagine taxes on everyone will be going up even more.
i think we will need to build a massive trade block that agrees to tax corps at a very high rate and a tax on bots...

anyone wishing to trade with the block must sign up for the enforceable agreement. yep it sounds like globalization, and i am fully open to better ideas that don't make me compete directly with 1 billion robots working 24/7 in the dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies