Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:41 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree that the writing is in the wall with regard to my son's generation. He lives in Chicago and is a fan of public transportion and/or Uber. He says he doesn't miss driving at all - though he doesn't seem to mind driving when he comes home.
Are you advocating forcing everyone to live in Chicago or similarly densely populated cities? Because if not, any such transition to a state where nobody drives manually in any circumstances is simply not feasible any time soon, or possibly ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 08:42 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
A million miles of self-driving cars compared to how many miles of manually driven cars?

Self-driving cars are basically robots, their intelligence only goes so far. Throw a new situation at them and they might fail completely. I don't trust robots.

And on a more general level, I think it is one of those cases where we are just not wise enough to simply say, hey, the status quo may not be perfect, but it is OK, let's leave it at that.

Also, many Americans say they like to drive and thus avoid public transport, so, should people one day no longer drive themselves, why not switch to public transport in the first place?
Please educate yourself by doing some research on connected cars and IoT. This is the near future. You should at least have an idea what you're talking about if you want to be taken seriously.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Please educate yourself by doing some research on connected cars and IoT. This is the near future. You should at least have an idea what you're talking about if you want to be taken seriously.

Define "near". I don't think it will be as near as some insist it will, and are so eager to force on the rest of us for some reason.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
You would still have to insure your vehicle and would pay road tax, indeed more taxes may be applied to such vehicles especially in relation to congested cities.
Why would you still need full coverage? The premiums we pay now, go to pay for other peoples accident claims, they pay for medical bills resulting from accidents too...eventually there will be no accidents or medical treatment needed, because accidents will be extremely rare.

Besides that, I doubt they could demand coverage, when humans are no longer doing the driving, what could they base the rate off?

Most road taxes are in the fuel we buy, that wont be changing.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:47 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Define "near". I don't think it will be as near as some insist it will, and are so eager to force on the rest of us for some reason.
I'm not eager to force anything on anyone. I have no control over it. I'm just telling you what's coming. Things are moving exponentially faster than the were even a decade ago. I can't pinpoint an exact date for you, but this is happening already, and technology isn't going to slow down. If anything, it's speeding up.

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, this has been in the R&D stages for many years. Its literally right around the corner. The conversion will happen first to tractor trailer trucks from what Ive been reading.

Personally I think it will be a good thing, one it goes mandatory, there will not any more traffic jams, traffic lights, no more need for full coverage insurance, no need for police to be out patrolling the streets, no more traffic accidents, offenses or DUIs.

When my grandkids are grown up, they will be looking back and joking about the 'old days', when people had to drive manually!
I think a lot of resistance will come from sectors that are making money on some of the things you mentioned. Car insurance companies, cities that make a lot of money on traffic tickets and DUI's.

Just as the taxi driver will be out of work so will the car insurance salesperson.

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Are you advocating forcing everyone to live in Chicago or similarly densely populated cities? Because if not, any such transition to a state where nobody drives manually in any circumstances is simply not feasible any time soon, or possibly ever.
What a dumb thing to say. It's hardly worth a response yet I will indulge you.

How they envision the future even in suburbia ~ is that people will forgo car ownership and instead utilize a 'fleet of vehicle'.

Please DO note that I didn't say for EVERYONE.

Please also note that I work in the insurance industry and they are very concerned when they look into the future - as to how this will impact us. It's not a dream.

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Why? Are they not robots in a way? I do not like the idea of machines doing the thinking and making decisions where it matters.
And yes, I am against the internet of things. I want humans to remain in charge of independent things, even if they screw up from time to time.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
I'm not eager to force anything on anyone. I have no control over it. I'm just telling you what's coming. Things are moving exponentially faster than the were even a decade ago. I can't pinpoint an exact date for you, but this is happening already, and technology isn't going to slow down. If anything, it's speeding up.
And I wonder why that is. Who is pushing it? We don't really need self-driving cars, networked washing machines and TV's etc. Why can't we just say no, that's enough. Like we did with the hydrogen bomb, humans simply agreed and said to themselves, no, that's just too much.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
~mindless insult snipped~

How they envision the future even in suburbia ~ is that people will forgo car ownership and instead utilize a 'fleet of vehicle'.

Please DO note that I didn't say for EVERYONE.
What about families with kids? Communal vehicles would not work in my situation. I have child seats and all sorts of activity related items packed up in my minivan and even if I am able, I am not willing to transport all of those items to external storage every evening and put them back in to a new communal vehicle every morning. Not to mention, I'm in a semi rural situation and neighborhood communal vehicles would be neither feasible nor desirable. And who will force my neighbors to clean their communal vehicle out every evening? Should every small neighborhood have government officials who force us to pick up after ourselves every evening?

Again there are some situations where such vehicles would eventually be practical, especially for young single childless people in big cities, but those situations are by no means universal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies