Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:08 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Definitely not, I don't even like the present. I miss the times when humans were not online, still looked at and talked to each other on the bus, when things were slower and simpler...
And yet, here you are, online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 09:09 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Define "near". I don't think it will be as near as some insist it will, and are so eager to force on the rest of us for some reason.
Smart phones are the norm now like smart tv's. You are not forced to use either. An old tube TV and a flip phone still can function. In fact I have one neighbor who refuses to get a cell phone. Buy a newspaper and you will be just as connected as they were in the 1950's. The Amish are doing fine with horse and buggies even in 2018.

More than likely you will be able to live out your life being able to drive your own car depending where you live. Many experts today assert that kids born today will never drive a car. I think cities like New York that are clogged with too many vehicles might be the first to ban human drivers. Just have uber type self driving vehicles that can pick you up on command. It would make life much better for residents of crowded cities.

But change scares some people. Especially older people. I get that.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:18 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
A lot of force will be required to make such a state of affairs widespread or universal. That will take time, and get messy, even if you think the technology is already there or will be there with immediacy.
Cost and convenience are strong motivating factors. Homes would not need garages so they would have more living space. No car insurance or car payments. Having your own autonomous chauffeur who will drop you off at the front door of anywhere you want to go. And pick you up when you are ready to leave. No DUI's or getting hit by a drunk driver. All at a much lower cost than a human taxi could provide.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And yet, here you are, online.
But not outside, my cell phone is ancient (only for emergencies) and I never carry it with me. When I leave the house, I do it like in 1980.
I have come to hate cars, I wish I lived in one of those medieval mountain towns where there are no cars.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I know. I am reading some of these replies in disbelief. I have a friend who has driven a taxi for about 10 years. A year ago he said it will never happen no one will trust a self driving taxi. Lately he has totally changed his tune and for him he is near retirement age but sees no future in the taxi business. He is hoping to survive with his job another two years.
I definitely think self-driving vehicles (trucks, taxis, cars, motorcycles, etc.) will eventually become "mainstream", I just feel while the technology is definitely growing by leaps and bounds, the implementation and integration is what is going to take longer than most people think.

Did you know, I thought I read that Carnegie Mellon University has been working on self-driving vehicles since the 70's (40 years ago)!

Old 01-15-2018, 09:22 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Are you advocating forcing everyone to live in Chicago or similarly densely populated cities?
Quote:
Define "near". I don't think it will be as near as some insist it will, and are so eager to force on the rest of us for some reason.
Quote:
And who will force my neighbors to clean their communal vehicle out every evening? Should every small neighborhood have government officials who force us to pick up after ourselves every evening?

Again there are some situations where such vehicles would eventually be practical, especially for young single childless people in big cities, but those situations are by no means universal.
Quote:
A lot of force will be required to make such a state of affairs widespread or universal.
Quote:
And by your estimation, we better all see the merit of it, regardless of circumstances or desire, because it should be forced on all of us, and right away.
Just so everyone can see the context of what we're responding to.

Question ~ who is 'forcing' you to do anything? Were you 'forced' to get a smart phone or smart tv? Were your neighbors.

Give me a break.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
I think being driven in a self-driving car is rather exhausting because the "driver" likely doesn't trust the car and is thus constantly watching out for possible dangers. Few people will be so confident as to lean back and read a newspaper.

With planes autopilots have been common for decades, yet there still needs to be a full crew.

I wonder how a self-driving car can communicate with drivers of other cars. Here for instance when approaching a zebra crossing, cars usually only stop when the pedestrian steps on the road and keeps a certain pace. There is eye contact and nodding involved, maybe a hand gesture of the driver inviting me to cross.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:33 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Ask the next generation which they want:
1. Driving the same route day after day.
2. Surfing the internet while waiting to arrive.

A self driving car combines the best of public transportation with independence of your own car.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:34 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Smart phones are the norm now like smart tv's. You are not forced to use either. An old tube TV and a flip phone still can function. In fact I have one neighbor who refuses to get a cell phone. Buy a newspaper and you will be just as connected as they were in the 1950's. The Amish are doing fine with horse and buggies even in 2018.

More than likely you will be able to live out your life being able to drive your own car depending where you live. Many experts today assert that kids born today will never drive a car. I think cities like New York that are clogged with too many vehicles might be the first to ban human drivers. Just have uber type self driving vehicles that can pick you up on command. It would make life much better for residents of crowded cities.

But change scares some people. Especially older people. I get that.
There are people in large cities today who have never driven, so I have no doubt some kids being born today will be the same. It won't be universal though, especially for those outside of major cities. And the attempt to shame people by accusing them of being afraid belies the confidence you try to portray in your assertion that the transformation will be immediate and near universal.

A future that is about options will be embraced and a future that is about force or pressure will be resisted. The assumption that all who try to resist the imposition of your vision of utopia will do so out of fear is incorrect.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:41 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Just so everyone can see the context of what we're responding to.

Question ~ who is 'forcing' you to do anything? Were you 'forced' to get a smart phone or smart tv? Were your neighbors.

Give me a break.
As of now, nobody can or will force people to adopt this technology and communal outlook, but from the musings I see whenever this subject comes up, the desire to force people is present in many. This is particularly true among those who seem in such a hurry to get the transition going, and among those who refuse to discern the differences between the lifestyles of those who live within large cities and those who do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies