Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 08:01 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-carefu...001531700.html

GM executives have said they planned to introduce a large-scale fleet of self-driving taxis by 2019, a time frame some analysts consider ambitious.

I assumed this transition would happen within a decade. But within a year? Amazing how fast technology is advancing.

GM should crash and burn. I guess we'll be bailing them out again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 08:19 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Times change and new opportunities open up. We no longer have travel agents but the world survived.
Weird thing is, there are still travel agents out there! Sure the numbers have dropped to record lows, and I personally have never used them, but there was just a thread recently, maybe in the Travel or Employment Forum, about someone trying to get into the travel agent business.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:40 AM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Weird thing is, there are still travel agents out there! Sure the numbers have dropped to record lows, and I personally have never used them, but there was just a thread recently, maybe in the Travel or Employment Forum, about someone trying to get into the travel agent business.
Corporate travel offices, affiliated groups, credit card companies all have/use travel agents. I'm going to Tokyo in the spring and Amex is handling many of the bookings and details. Obviously the numbers have declined, but if a kid grew up wanting nothing else but to be a travel agent they could still do so.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:42 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
A few years back my sister was in the market for a new camera, and the salesperson tried to talk her into buying a digital one. But no, sir, none of that newfangled stuff for her! She insisted on a good old reliable film camera. We laugh about that all the time now, and that wasn't that long ago. Anyone looking to get into the travel agent business today is living in the past. With a few exceptions like Take 57 just outlined, for most it just isn't a viable career path any longer.

All of you deniers on this thread are in for a rude awakening. This isn't the 19th century where it takes years for new technology to reach the masses. It is moving at the speed of light these days. Things you can't even conceive of in this moment will be common place in a few years.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
All of you deniers on this thread are in for a rude awakening. This isn't the 19th century where it takes years for new technology to reach the masses. It is moving at the speed of light these days. Things you can't even conceive of in this moment will be common place in a few years.
I don't know if that was directed at me, but I'm definitely not a denier, and admit self-driving vehicles are in the future, I just feel the implementation and integration into the road network is not going to be as quick as people think it will be.

I think instead of companies coming out every 6-12 months saying, oh by so and so we have this and this, then it doesn't happen, just let the technology happen, if it happens fast, great, if it takes more time and is slower than predicted, so be it. Didn't they say back in the 60's that by 2010 we will all have flying cars!

Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
I don't know if that was directed at me, but I'm definitely not a denier, and admit self-driving vehicles are in the future, I just feel the implementation and integration into the road network is not going to be as quick as people think it will be.

I think instead of companies coming out every 6-12 months saying, oh by so and so we have this and this, then it doesn't happen, just let the technology happen, if it happens fast, great, if it takes more time and is slower than predicted, so be it. Didn't they say back in the 60's that by 2010 we will all have flying cars!
Well if they were actually producing viable working prototypes of flying cars in the 1960's that were ready to be mass produced then it would be comparable to self driving cars today. A better analogy would be the predictions of colonies on Mars in the coming decades. There could be reasons why that will never happen. Flying cars never happened because its simply easier, safer and more cost effective to roll along the surface of the earth than fly above it at least for short distances and with fewer passengers. They have enough trouble keeping the whole drone thing under control.

I am not going to insist that colonies will happen on Mars, no way to know at this point or if so when. But I do think self driving cars will be on the streets very soon. Sooner than most here think.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:06 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Someone attach the Youtube video from " Total Recall" of Arnold and the Jonny Cab. I think there's two.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I am not going to insist that colonies will happen on Mars, no way to know at this point or if so when. But I do think self driving cars will be on the streets very soon. Sooner than most here think.
Colonies on Mars, or even people going to Mars once, will never happen, until they figure out a way to protect people from all the radiation. I was at NASA's Kennedy Space Center last month talking to one of the engineers that works for a sub-contractor and he said getting people there and back isn't the big issue, it's trying to not make it a "suicide mission" once they get there and to protect their health from the lethal doses of radiation both on the planet and the journey there.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:31 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That's not a good development. That whole productivity mania is turning managers into economic fascists that don't give a damn about society.
And as usual it will be the jobs of less educated people that will disappear first. What are those supposed to do? Commit suicide just because they don't have a college degree and the economy would not miss them if they were gone?
I agree completely -- technology is
1. destroying more jobs than it creates
2. putting entire classes of people out of work with no skills
3. enriching the rich even further

Old 01-16-2018, 09:39 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Good for them. I have read the cotton gin analogies.

GM, Uber and lots of other businesses with skin in the game seem to believe its going to happen much sooner.
I'm in automotive design, and am still floored by the aggressive time lines. My guess would have been somewhere within 8-10 years until it hits mainstream.

I'm just curious how a self driving vehicle would handle this situation. Two lane on ramp coming on to a 4 lane freeway. It's snowing out, the plow trucks have been out but have pushed heavy amounts of snow across the lanes, and the road is pretty much snow covered. 500 ft beyond the on ramp the out side lane has been blocked due to a huge pot hole. Vehicles are side by side on the on ramp, with others behind. What will the driverless vehicle on the outside on ramp lane do ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies