Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
What a dumb thing to say. It's hardly worth a response yet I will indulge you.

How they envision the future even in suburbia ~ is that people will forgo car ownership and instead utilize a 'fleet of vehicle'.

Please DO note that I didn't say for EVERYONE.

Please also note that I work in the insurance industry and they are very concerned when they look into the future - as to how this will impact us. It's not a dream.
Car sharing is an idea I can see the merit of. Fuel, parking, insurance and maintenance are included in the price of a membership.

Now pair that concept with autonomous cars. You could order your car through your mobile device, have it arrive at your door, take you where you want to go, and drive itself home when you have no further need of it. No hassle, no worry, no maintenance, no expense that cars always bring with them. And that would be accessible outside of cities, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
And I wonder why that is. Who is pushing it? We don't really need self-driving cars, networked washing machines and TV's etc. Why can't we just say no, that's enough. Like we did with the hydrogen bomb, humans simply agreed and said to themselves, no, that's just too much.
Oh, dear. You are really not going to like the future.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:57 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I'm not eager to force anything on anyone. I have no control over it. I'm just telling you what's coming. Things are moving exponentially faster than the were even a decade ago. I can't pinpoint an exact date for you, but this is happening already, and technology isn't going to slow down. If anything, it's speeding up.
A lot of force will be required to make such a state of affairs widespread or universal. That will take time, and get messy, even if you think the technology is already there or will be there with immediacy.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:58 AM

30,178 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
A million miles of self-driving cars compared to how many miles of manually driven cars?

Self-driving cars are basically robots, their intelligence only goes so far. Throw a new situation at them and they might fail completely. I don't trust robots.

And on a more general level, I think it is one of those cases where we are just not wise enough to simply say, hey, the status quo may not be perfect, but it is OK, let's leave it at that.

Also, many Americans say they like to drive and thus avoid public transport, so, should people one day no longer drive themselves, why not switch to public transport in the first place?
You go by accidents per mile. The self driving cars have a big enough sample to glean from. And self driving cars are getting smarter as the technology keeps advancing. I don't agree that they can only get to a certain point in intelligence. The advances happening how prove otherwise. And humans are not getting any smarter. That car in San Francisco that ended up in a 2nd story window yesterday might show that we are going backwards in smarts or at least common sense.

A self driving car past the road test in California that humans need to pass to get a drivers license. From that qualification alone they should be able to be on the road.

As far as not trusting robots. OK. That is you. We are talking AI and machine learning, the whole thing is way beyond liking or not liking robots.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Self-driving cars are basically robots, their intelligence only goes so far. Throw a new situation at them and they might fail completely. I don't trust robots.
Look up the term machine learning.

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Oh, dear. You are really not going to like the future.
Definitely not, I don't even like the present. I miss the times when humans were not online, still looked at and talked to each other on the bus, when things were slower and simpler...

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Car sharing is an idea I can see the merit of. Fuel, parking, insurance and maintenance are included in the price of a membership.

Now pair that concept with autonomous cars. You could order your car through your mobile device, have it arrive at your door, take you where you want to go, and drive itself home when you have no further need of it. No hassle, no worry, no maintenance, no expense that cars always bring with them. And that would be accessible outside of cities, as well.

And by your estimation, we better all see the merit of it, regardless of circumstances or desire, because it should be forced on all of us, and right away.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:01 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Why would you still need full coverage? The premiums we pay now, go to pay for other peoples accident claims, they pay for medical bills resulting from accidents too...eventually there will be no accidents or medical treatment needed, because accidents will be extremely rare.

Besides that, I doubt they could demand coverage, when humans are no longer doing the driving, what could they base the rate off?

Most road taxes are in the fuel we buy, that wont be changing.
Accidents may decrease, however there may be lots of other potential insurance problems including theft from vehicles or even new crimes such as people standing in the road to deliberately stop such vehicles before robbing passengers. Also vehicles are becoming increasingly damaged due to adverse weather conditions.

At the same time congestion charging, pedestrianisation and increased public transport are seen as the way forward in many cities, and taxes are already in place to encourage people to use public transport as oppsed to private vehicles, and this looks like continuing whether vehicles are driverless or not or whether they are low emmission or not.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:07 AM

524 posts, read 362,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Where I live in a medium sized city there is rarely a day that goes by where I don't see the aftermath of a serious collision. Usually its someone running the light after it turns red while someone else is making a left.

I really don't trust human drivers. Self driving cars won't make those sort of mistakes. Perhaps there will be other issues with them. But most of the testing has shown they drive much better than most of us do.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/8/1...dent-first-day

Old 01-15-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
And by your estimation, we better all see the merit of it, regardless of circumstances or desire, because it should be forced on all of us, and right away.
Where did I say that? I have no control over the rate of technological advancement. But unlike you, I recognize that the genie cannot be put back in the bottle. Smart homes are already here. There have been commercials advertising connected appliances for a while now. Our cities are becoming connected. The Internet of Things is spreading out into all facets of life.

These things are happening, whether you like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies