Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:20 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer6583 View Post
Robots don't pay taxes so the government will need to figure out how to replace that lost revenue. I imagine taxes on everyone will be going up even more.
It would be difficult to collect when so many people have been displaced and aren't earning anything to begin with. I don't pretend to understand how this will shake out in the end. I just know big changes are coming, and we obviously are not ready for them. The time to start planning for this massive shift that automation is going to bring to the workforce is now, and not when we're in crisis. But most likely, that's what is going to happen, given the level of denial we see about the inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 12:26 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,712 times
It's probably a good move. People now won't be able to wrap their brains around how people will live in the future.

For example, it's entirely possible NO ONE will ever own a car in the future once automation takes over. You just pay a monthly subscription to Ford, GM or whoever and order up an automated ride whenever and wherever you are. No need to ever have to worry about things like parking, car registration, tagging etc. ever again. Ford will do all of that.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:30 PM

734 posts, read 351,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It would be difficult to collect when so many people have been displaced and aren't earning anything to begin with. I don't pretend to understand how this will shake out in the end. I just know big changes are coming, and we obviously are not ready for them. The time to start planning for this massive shift that automation is going to bring to the workforce is now, and not when we're in crisis. But most likely, that's what is going to happen, given the level of denial we see about the inevitable.
Yeah I agree. I certainly don't have the answers.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:44 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer6583 View Post
Yeah I agree. I certainly don't have the answers.
i think this is why we need to plan now. if God in a Box delivers what gods can none of this really matters. because solutions will be found for us.

But if it is a less able AI future, one where it merely devalues human work , then we might have real trouble.

we need a real plan, and a plan that does not place blame on people like we currently see.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:50 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
It's probably a good move. People now won't be able to wrap their brains around how people will live in the future.

For example, it's entirely possible NO ONE will ever own a car in the future once automation takes over. You just pay a monthly subscription to Ford, GM or whoever and order up an automated ride whenever and wherever you are. No need to ever have to worry about things like parking, car registration, tagging etc. ever again. Ford will do all of that.

Why are some people so eager to get rid of car ownership? Not everyone lives in a city you know, and some people have equipment and other belongings they need to take with them where they go and need to store in their vehicle.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:19 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm in automotive design, and am still floored by the aggressive time lines. My guess would have been somewhere within 8-10 years until it hits mainstream.

I'm just curious how a self driving vehicle would handle this situation. Two lane on ramp coming on to a 4 lane freeway. It's snowing out, the plow trucks have been out but have pushed heavy amounts of snow across the lanes, and the road is pretty much snow covered. 500 ft beyond the on ramp the out side lane has been blocked due to a huge pot hole. Vehicles are side by side on the on ramp, with others behind. What will the driverless vehicle on the outside on ramp lane do ?
Lots of variables here, making it a excellent case study. I dont have enough information to say But the cars will. They can see all of the issues, and where everything is-something a human cannot do. Worst case right now is that they will alert the driver to take control. But eventually they will treat it just like most humans would.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
If your driverless car runs a stop sign or a red light how will the police be able to pull it over?
They will turn on their lights, and the car will pull over and stop for them.
Quote:
Who gets the ticket?
Right now its the companies because they are ll company owned. But in the future I believe you would still get it. Most likely because if it ran a red, there is a maintenance issue.

Quote:
Is the programming company the one who has to have insurance?
Nope, still you. But it should be VASTLY cheaper as it will be a 10X safer driver.

Quote:
Can you be a passenger/owner of the driverless car and be completely intoxicated?
Currently no. You still have to be able to take control of the vehicle. It may be different with the vehicles without controls.

Quote:
I know this is mostly moot since none of this is going to happen any time soon.
Well except for the part where it is happening right now. There are self driving cars on the road.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:51 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
hard to envision but it sounds like you are viewing self driving cars as individual units. In fact they will be cooperative working together. My car will slow to make room for yours. Your car will signal to plow to clear the way. Pothole would have been reported and filled because this situation was predicted by AI. AI advised a crew should be sent to fill the pothole due to the high chance of a snowstorm.

or there is a jam, poeple get upset and it does not happen again. The absolute beauty of AI driven cars is that once this happens a few times it stops happening ever. The current "human" model we don't learn nearly as fast, but with AI logging any and all issues we fix things fast.

example, it took humans decades to figure seat belts save lives and should be required, AI would have seen that pattern in with days or weeks. I believe we would see the snow plow driver followed by two AI plows or maybe the other way around. 3 AI machines clearing the road and 1 human team clearing the ramps .

There will be many situations where AI is simply not ready, but those areas will be restricted by the AI until they are ready. It will start in cities, suburbs and highways. it will spread into every nook and cranny over time.

it may well be that to leave "normal" driving areas you get into a more independent unit that costs 3 times as much per mile but that has much more advanced abilities that allow it to drive through heavy snows, or off road or out of communications etc.

but what is clear is that we can already build self driving cars, they dont work under all circumstances and they cost too much, but they are real and they work.

Sure, I get that. Once the majority of vehicles on the road are automated, they will behave like a hive.
That isn't going to happen next year, or in the next 5. I have no plans on purchasing a vehicle in the next 5 years , and I'm sure there are many like me. Is the Government going to subsidize the automated auto industry to ensure everyone gets a new automated tin can ?
There are still many variables to think about and hurdles to jump. It is coming, for sure but the speed that it is being pushed seems a bit strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Lots of variables here, making it a excellent case study. I dont have enough information to say But the cars will. They can see all of the issues, and where everything is-something a human cannot do. Worst case right now is that they will alert the driver to take control. But eventually they will treat it just like most humans would.

What will the driver take control of ?
https://blog.caranddriver.com/gm-to-...eel-or-pedals/

Old 01-16-2018, 02:06 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post

It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

I for one am not giving up my freedom to drive my car my way and putting it in the hands of Ford or GM

Old 01-16-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Sure, I get that. Once the majority of vehicles on the road are automated, they will behave like a hive.
That isn't going to happen next year, or in the next 5. I have no plans on purchasing a vehicle in the next 5 years , and I'm sure there are many like me. Is the Government going to subsidize the automated auto industry to ensure everyone gets a new automated tin can ?
There are still many variables to think about and hurdles to jump. It is coming, for sure but the speed that it is being pushed seems a bit strange.

What will the driver take control of ?
https://blog.caranddriver.com/gm-to-...eel-or-pedals/
Those cars without steering wheels or pedals are in much more controlled areas, however they too will run into issues, and if they cannot figure out a safe path-they're going to call for help. Because if they can't find one, the odds are pretty high that there is not one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies