Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:42 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I agree with that, but it's a bigger mystery how everyone without a medical degree or real knowledge of the situation seems to think their diagnosis is better than the one of a real doctor.
I haven't seen a diagnosis here. But anyone who's paid attention to their own health and looked at their BMI and cholesterol numbers can see that Trump's are bad. And he's already on medication.

I have seen doctors in the media talk about the fact that he has heart disease, high cholesterol, and is borderline obese. These statements are strictly based on the numbers the doctor released. You don't have to have examined trump (eeuuww) to make these assertions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 08:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't think that anyone thinks that their diagnosis is better...I think that folks are being realistic and realizing that while Trump is in good health....for a man in his 70's who is borderline obese -- it clearly doesn't mean he is 'healthy'.
Ya know, I keep seeing this "borderline obese" statement being tossed around. I see everyone is basing this on the "BMI" table like it's some sort of gospel. A table that I've found is totally incorrect many times.
From WebMD:

Quote:
While it is a simple, inexpensive method of screening for weight categories, it is not a diagnostic tool. Health professionals need to do further assessments to fully evaluate health risks. These assessments would include measurements of body fat percentage, diet history, exercise patterns, and family history.

Further, BMI does not take into account age, gender, or muscle mass. Nor does it distinguish between lean body mass and fat mass. As a result, some people, such as heavily muscled athletes, may have a high BMI even though they don't have a high percentage of body fat. In others, such as elderly people, BMI may appear normal even though muscle has been lost with aging.
https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/...ss-index-bmi#1

Quote:
Why BMI is inaccurate and misleading

BMI (body mass index), which is based on the height and weight of a person, is an inaccurate measure of body fat content and does not take into account muscle mass, bone density, overall body composition, and racial and sex differences, say researchers from the Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania.
People with a BMI of 30 or more, i.e. obese individuals, have a significantly higher risk of eventually becoming diabetic, developing cancer, cardiovascular diseases, osteoarthritis, and liver and gallbladder diseases.

Being obese heightens the risk of premature death.

However, a number of studies have demonstrated that some obese individuals have lower cardiovascular risk and an improved metabolic profile, while a subset of "normal-BMI" people are metabolically unhealthy and have increased mortality risk.

BMI exaggerates thinness in short people and fatness in tall people
Nick Trefethen, Professor of Numerical Analysis at Oxford University's Mathematical Institute, in a letter to The Economist explained that BMI leads to confusion and misinformation.
BMI = weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared.

Professor Trefethen believes that the BMI height2/weight term divides the weight by too much in short people and too little in tall individuals. This results in tall people believing they are fatter than they really are4, and short people thinking they are thinner.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265215.php

Old 01-18-2018, 10:10 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Looks like liberals have started a "girther movement".
the difference is we have documented PROOF of what we are saying. We are not making anything up, we are not overstating it we are not lying nor misleading anyone.

instead we are merely stating obivious facts.

1 Trump is OBESE.

2 Trump has heart disease.

now what part of that are you going to disagree with Skeddy? hmm, are you going to claim that a calcium score of 133 is NOT heart disease? Are you skeddy? or are you going to just rant and stamp your feet, hurl some insults etc...?

I am guessing you will do what you always do. ie continue to deny the facts and fail to provide any support for those denials.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:10 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Ya know, I keep seeing this "borderline obese" statement being tossed around. I see everyone is basing this on the "BMI" table like it's some sort of gospel. A table that I've found is totally incorrect many times.
From WebMD:

Your post is an example of deflecting. Sure, there is some arbitrariness in the body mass index. Sure it doesn't apply equally to every single person. Its a question of the law of averages. The point is we don't know where DT fits in these averages.

In order though to diminish the impact of Trump being mildly obese according to the BMI, you'd have to show why he personally does not fit within these averages. You haven't done that at all. You haven't shown why these numbers are not applicable to him.

A decent President would take advantage of this moment to tell everyone about the dangers of fat and cholesterol. He would initiate a highly visible exercise program and encourage others in the country to follow him. Hasn't happened. I don't expect it to happen. Because, deep down, all DT is trying to do here is create a better photo op for himself.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:16 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
From WebMD:

WRONG JIMI..

BMI fails when applied to many of the worlds body types... BUT Trump is exactly the body type it was designed to measure!

BMI was developed to measure tall white european people. Trump is a tall white european.
so so so sorry to tell you if the BMI says Trump is OBESE , it applies to him more than 90% of the world.
The damn thing was invented for his body type, so YES Trump is OBESE..

you should have researched BMI instead of researching reasons BMI is no good....
this is what happens when you seek to find support for you desired outcome rather than seek to learn with and open mind.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:38 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
WRONG JIMI..

BMI fails when applied to many of the worlds body types... BUT Trump is exactly the body type it was designed to measure!

BMI was developed to measure tall white european people. Trump is a tall white european.
so so so sorry to tell you if the BMI says Trump is OBESE , it applies to him more than 90% of the world.
The damn thing was invented for his body type, so YES Trump is OBESE..

you should have researched BMI instead of researching reasons BMI is no good....
this is what happens when you seek to find support for you desired outcome rather than seek to learn with and open mind.
I haven't read the report. Did they do a body fat % on him? I would think it's over 40%.

We've all seen people, especially men, who have a very low body fat percentage but are overweight based on BMI. Trump is not one of those men.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:03 PM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
And its quite apparent you know less than Dr. Gupta does.

Trump's own physician had to concede when questioned that the President has heart disease.

Its also worth noting he is mildly obese. Trump is 6 feet tall. He weighs 237 pounds. Under the BMI guidelines he is mildly obese.

You know, you Trump supporters are really interesting. This didn't have to become anything at all. It became something because of Trump's undeniable desire to exaggerate everything. If his doctor had not insisted on publicly proclaiming he is "in excellent health" this never would have happened. Why not concede the truth? Why not concede at the outset that the President needs to lose a little weight and watch his cholesterol? It could be turned into a teaching moment for the whole country. Too many people are exactly in the situation Donald Trump is. They need to watch their weight. They need to eat a better diet. They need to exercise more. They need to take statins for their cholesterol. But, instead of using the moment to make those points, Trump the narcissist intervenes. He tells his doctor he has to stand up in front of everyone and proclaim that he is the very picture of health. He just can't stand hearing anything about himself that isn't perfect. What happened yesterday is the perfect example of it.
I was discussing this with a colleague this morning.

Later it got me thinking that Trump is a very lazy person. Certainly he can be hooked up with a treadmill while he watches his 6 hours plus of TV per day.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:23 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,005 times
You deny science when it goes against your beliefs; you liberals sound like global warming deniers! Lol!

Old 01-18-2018, 03:30 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,033,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
id like to see about half the cult members on these forums take a test.
I've taken that same test. My score was 27 out of 30.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:36 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
When in danger
Or in doubt,
Run in circles,
Scream and shout
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies