Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:17 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Schumer voted for a law in 2006 to build a southern border wall. It was never built and the wall was never funded. Im pretty sure he is trying to do that again.
There are still eminent domain cases in courts from that border law. A decade later and still fighting to get the land needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 07:17 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Because Trump is the kind of smacked azz who think that when "negotiating," if you give in a little, he can then demand that you give in more. He thinks that people over the years have given in to him because he is a great negotiator, whereas in reality, they just want to be finished with him and his bulling tactics. You can run a business that way and screw over people who are trying to get paid, but you can't run a country that way.
Bingo.

Also, in the past he's used his bullying approach on those with less power. Contractors who accept his thirty cents on the dollar "renegotiations" of what he owes because court costs make a lawsuit out of the question for many.

So now he's wandering the WH in his stupid MAGA hat wondering what the hell happened.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:23 AM

1,705 posts, read 539,094 times
So.. Schumer, who was one of 4 in the room, told the Senate last night, that Trump put a number on the table for the Wall, Schumer accepted thinking they now had a deal.

Schumer did offer $1.6billion for the wall. Trump choose the number, and Schumer agreed!

Then, Trumps turns around shuts down the government.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:23 AM

20,131 posts, read 9,036,439 times
when will Schumer agree to pay our troops?

Old 01-22-2018, 07:24 AM

693 posts, read 357,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post

Maybe when Trump agrees to pay our troops.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Schumer voted for a law in 2006 to build a southern border wall. It was never built and the wall was never funded. Im pretty sure he is trying to do that again.
It was build by "W" and "O".

On the other hand, if you argue the money was never spent, why are they asking for money now?

Old 01-22-2018, 07:26 AM

13,973 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Then, Trumps turns around shuts down the government.
Trump has exactly zero power to "shut down" the government.

And as I asked in one of the other numerous threads on this topic - if the deal is so overwhelmingly bipartisan, they should have no problem overturning a Trump veto. So why no bill sent to Trump?

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I have also heard Trumo wanted four things in this bill (DACA, wall, no lottery, end chain migration)... the democrats added a fifth clause that directed the US government to take in people from countries with no education, no skill, and likely be a financial drain on taxpayers with social programs... Trump wanted to take people with some merit... Democrats refused to remove the fifth item... and here we are, Democrats VOTED against opening the government....
I can understand the Wall being in the budget bill, but can anybody explain why DACA, no lottery, and ending chain migration should be in it? Exactly what do they have to do with the Budget of the United States?
Perhaps that is why the President needs a Line Item Veto, so he can strike out the extraneous B.S. when a Bill comes to his desk for approval, then send that C R A P back to Congress to pass or fail on its own.
The Budget is too important to have it derailed by garbage riders.
HEY, CONGRESS: Pass the Budget! No, not a "Continuing Resolution", THE BUDGET! Forget adding your pet riders to it, just do your job!
It is obvious to me that the halls of Congress need a really good cleaning. I call on everybody reading these forums to NOT vote for ANY incumbent! Kick them all out. Vote the party line if you must, but DO NOT vote for an incumbent. Not in the Primaries, and not in the General election! We have Term Limits IF the voters will do their job!

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
He wants to pay the troops, but Trump refuses to.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:32 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,757,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The wall is smoke and mirrors.

People woke up to the fact that that big cheap house was the result of illegals. That cheap chicken was the result of illegals in the processing plants. They started measuring their cost in taxes to pay for the welfare benefits going to anchor children and their parents That's when the chamber types and their hand picked politicians started in on we cannot do a thing about illegals until we get a wall.

IDKW, they couldn't have beefed up the Border Patrol and started deporting 20 years ago. Had as much time and effort gone into e verify as has been spent pissing in the wind about a wall, this turmoil would not be needed.

The Chamber, the Restaurant Association, the food processors and the rest have now put their politicians in a bind because the base wants the illegals deported. The business owning Republicans and the bleeding heart liberals looking to save mankind are the perfect storm.
I don't agree with you about much but I do agree with most of what you're saying here, although I wouldn't mind seeing a wall be built. I do notice that you hear nothing about everify from either side in these negotiations and you don't hear much at all about going after the employers who are hiring these illegals.

The wall, ending chain migration and visa lotteries...all good to me(especially the latter two) but without going after the businesses who hire the illegals none of that will be a full solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies