Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:32 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Who is “they’re”? Democrats? And if that’s the case and they’re sure it won’t work, of course they would oppose it.

Spending oodles of money on something that doesn’t fix the problem is a waste of money no matter how you look at it. Political affiliation shouldn’t influence one to recognize wasteful spending.

The wall would help deter illegal aliens. I have posted a couple of links proving it. It would not be wasteful spending. No, the Democrats don't want it because it would deter the flow of future voters for their party and cheap labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 03:35 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It worked for San Diego.
It kind of worked for San Diego 12 years ago and led to people dying trying to cross the border. Not exactly a good thing. The nimb r of Mexicans trying to cross into the US is steadily declining, this is no longer the primary issue with illegal immigration. I’ve cited more recent studies and sources several pages back on what illegal immigration looks like now.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You are exactly right. And we have pregnant women coming here from different countries only to give birth so their child will be a US citizen. And it's perfectly legal. We should be focusing on that not a wall.

We still have thousands jumping our border every year. We should be focusing on all illegal immigration whether it's border jumpers or visa over stayers. Why would you ignore the former? You anti-wall people make no sense it all.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:38 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The wall would help deter illegal aliens. I have posted a couple of links proving it. It would not be wasteful spending. No, the Democrats don't want it because it would deter the flow of future voters for their party and cheap labor.
And as I pointed out before your information is outdated and no longer valid. My links show that most illegal immigrants have been here for 10 years or more. This means they were coming when your links were published.

This is no longer the case. You need current information on immigration habits to actually understand what is happening NOW, not 10+ years ago.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Why can't we focus on more than area of immigration, legal and/or illegal?

Don't expect a viable answer from the anti-wall people in here.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
And Trump should have stayed at his con man business deals.....but what we have is a spoiled, rich, man- child as president and commander in chief, listening to other like minded, bigoted, closed minded people. Such a deal.

"The Art of the Deal."

Nothing bigoted or close minded about not wanting to reward people in this country illegally no matter how they got here. Get back with me when our laws state that if you manage to sneak your kids across our border they'll be given a pass on our immigration laws. No such deal should be made on our border security. Border security should be a given all by itself.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I don't agree with you about much but I do agree with most of what you're saying here, although I wouldn't mind seeing a wall be built. I do notice that you hear nothing about everify from either side in these negotiations and you don't hear much at all about going after the employers who are hiring these illegals.

The wall, ending chain migration and visa lotteries...all good to me(especially the latter two) but without going after the businesses who hire the illegals none of that will be a full solution.

Wrong! E-verify is a part of Trump's budge. It was the Democrats who blocked it the last time around.

https://amac.us/dems-block-gop-bills...al-immigrants/

Old 01-22-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
First, I’m not a Democrat. However I would support social programs every day of the week over some of the asinine things our government wastes money on.

Second, the wall won’t work. There is this thing called planes...
So you think that all these Mexicans who are jumping our border are going to fly into our country via private planes undetected? lol.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
And as I pointed out before your information is outdated and no longer valid. My links show that most illegal immigrants have been here for 10 years or more. This means they were coming when your links were published.

This is no longer the case. You need current information on immigration habits to actually understand what is happening NOW, not 10+ years ago.

So you are denying that there aren't still thousands still jumping our border every year even though the numbers might be reduced from years ago?

Why do you anti-wall people keep deflecting to the visa over stayers? We are well aware that's a problem also but why should we only address them but not the border jumpers? We need to address both of these problems but in a different way.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:09 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I realize that anything I say from the media is immediately going to be dismissed as "Fake News," but there are some details emerging of Schumer's talks with Trump. They met in person and had what appeared to be a promising talk. Schumer says he put the border wall funding on the table in exchange for DACA. They left on an optimistic note, with Schumer asking Trump to sell it to his folks. Some hours later, John Kelly called Schumer back and said no deal, it was still too liberal.

If this did in fact transpire in this manner... shouldn't both sides have taken it?

Feels like some hardliners basically blocked what would have been a reasonable compromise.
I don't think hardliners are blocking Schumer since he relented, and I don't even know which 'hardliners' would have been telling him not to take the original deal--he took it. Trump agreed, but then his father, I mean Kelly called and said Trump was mistaken--no deal.

Trump is apparently not allowed to make his own decisions or deals by his minders. He keeps forgetting what it is he is supposed to be in favor of and then Kelly has to tell him.( Although, how can he be against 'chain migration' when it got Melania's into the country and legal? Isn't that really hypocritical?) He was so invisible during the last few days, it was as if they had locked him in his room.

He obviously isn't allowed to make deals without the ok of Kelly and 30-year old white nationalist brat Miller. Kind of embarrassing for a guy who keeps bragging about 'deals.' It is all rather pathetic. Trump's experience is all in NY real estate negotiations--very different than politics. He's calling this a win? What did he win? Reopening the government shut down after only one year in office--hey congrats! Trump's really got thing's running smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies