Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 12:58 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
If she could afford the plane ticket, she could afford to board her emotional support animal.
It's not an issue of money for dogs though.

Planes straight up won't let you board if your dog doesn't fit easily inside a 9" × 12" × 11" airline approved carrier.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:43 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
She could have made a sign, "Please save my hamster!" A cute girl like that would not have had to wait very long for help. But now she'll be forever known as the hamster killer.
Yes indeed. She was at check in or before security could let her through.
So she easily could have walked to arrivals and offer the animal for free and safe this poor animals life!

She should be banned from ever having an animal and no longer be eligible any benefits

Old 02-10-2018, 02:44 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
She's an obeyer.
She wanted to make it to the top.

Obey and receive.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:01 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That is just awful. Flushing your pet down the toilet. That is one messed up woman.

She could have changed her flight, taken the hamster home and come back later.
This is true. I wonder if flushing a live animal down the toilet is a criminal offence.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:03 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
It can be a pain not to mention expensive to find someone to care for your pets when traveling. This was a college student over T'giving whose friends more likely than not were also away for the holiday. Getting Pebbles the Hamster on the plane as a support animal was no doubt perceived as a good solution.
If you can't afford to properly care for a pet, don't get a pet. It really is that simple.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:04 PM

736 posts, read 353,868 times
Poor hamster, didn't have a chance.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:50 PM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
That's hilarious, but how is this political or a controversy?
I do fell bad for the hamster for having such a dim witted owner who did not bother to find out the rules before boarding.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:41 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's unfortunate that pets are restricted so much. You can't even bring your dog on a plane at all if it's not a purse-stuffer and you don't want it in cargo (very unsafe for dogs).

What about families moving across the country or abroad, where driving is impractical or impossible? What are they supposed to do?

Still, this person was f'ed in the head to think that flushing her live hamster down the toilet was in any way acceptable.
There are companies that offer pet transport. Not sure if there are any who do overseas travel, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were.

One of our rescues was flown up from the south by 'Pilots and Paws'. Pilots of small planes donate their time, and Subaru helps pay for the fuel.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:23 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I do fell bad for the hamster for having such a dim witted owner who did not bother to find out the rules before boarding.
Part of the controversy is that she did contact Spirit who incorrectly informed her that Pebbles would be allowed to board. Not so. (Most airlines don't allow hamsters, only Frontier and possibly Delta.)

Still, the girl's problem-solving skills were terrible. She seems to have spent several hours at the airport after being rebooked on a later Spirit flight to figure out a solution. As others point out, she probably could have re-homed the hamster in the airport itself. Or if that were too dramatic for her, maybe gone on to Facebook with a "Save Pebbles" page. Or what about calling local vets to arrange for an emergency-board? Or, heck, maybe even a PetSmart?

Well, THAT took all of a minute to think about. That this girl spent some time in the airport and came up blank (except for the toilet) is strange. Helpless kids?

If that had been my daughter (with our Sammy the Hamster) I have full confidence that she would have returned to her dorm to boycott T'giving or taken the 24 to 26 hour bus ride to Florida.

Or, more likely, called me for help. At which point, I'd be the person on the phone figuring it out.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:39 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,690 times
It seems that her "emotional support" wasn't going to get in her way of convenience...

I have cats, which I love, they are my little buddies but in no way do I NEED them for emotional support, yet I have made decisions in my life that were inconvenient for me just so I may keep them happy and healthy because I took on a responsibility to them for life. Funny thing is...they weren'y even mine initially, a girlfriend brought them and abandon them with me when she left. I believe that once you take on a pet, you have committed to their care for life...yours or theirs.

They are not to be discarded for convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies