Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:26 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The NRA is composed of 5 million American citizens who join for a variety of reasons, none of which is the facilitation of the murder of innocent school students.
5 million members, imagine that, a whopping 2% of the adult population of the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 11:27 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
aurora - ar-15
orlando - ar_15
las vegas - ar-15
sandy hook - ar-15
texas church - ar-15
san bernardino -ar-15
parkland, fl - ar-15
That is a popular type of gun. I'm not sure all of these used an Armalite model 15 semi automatic rifle. Could you double check the brands? It's like saying someone ran a red light and killed people with one of those dangerous BMWs when it was a Ford, eh? Especially when it is your point they should all be illegal.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:35 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times

Old 02-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Post # 2491
Well, some differences are there, especially the little lever that enables rapid fire and full automatic. Semi automatic 30-06 would actually be worse. Bullets are more lethal.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:41 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
aurora - ar-15

orlando - ar_15

las vegas - ar-15

sandy hook - ar-15

texas church - ar-15

san bernardino -ar-15

parkland, fl - ar-15
They weren't all AR-15s, actually. The AR-15 is made by Colt, but it has also become a catch-all name for "scary black rifle." However, the commonality here isn't what firearm was used. Unless I'm mistaken, every single one of them was being treated for some sort of mental illness and taking or withdrawing from some sort of SSRI medication. Perhaps you should be pointing at Big Pharma rather than firearms manufacturers.

Aurora - Criminal who should have been stopped long before he ever purchased a gun due to his insanity.

Las Vegas - Criminal

Sandy Hook - Criminal who should have been stopped long before he killed his mother and stole her gun, also due to his insanity - as well as a mother who refused to admit that there was anything wrong with the psychotic little demonspawn.

Texas Church - Criminal

San Bernardino - Criminal

Parkland, FL - Criminal who had so many red flags the police should have had a duty desk in his front yard.

Not a single one of these cases was because of the weapon used. Every single one was perpetrated by someone who used the available tool for the crime. Ban AR-15s and similar types of firearms, we'll be having the same conversation a month later with another firearm in its place. You aren't going to stop a single shooting by going after the weapon used.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:43 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yes indeed let's go back to the 50's where wife beating was perfectly ok, even with the police and we could keep those pesky blacks out of our restaurants and schools., we were oh so very good back then

Seems like you LIKE the way things are now? Or maybe you want complete societal breakdown where anything does? Funny thing is that in that scenario it's people like you that won't survive long! The Conservative gun-owning ex-military prepper types will out last you by a far margin! Besides, it's not us doing the shootings, it's the left and spawn of the left with all their no-consequences drug induced behavior that does them.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Just so that I understand you clearly. You are for people with pre-existing mental illness to have access to firearms but not healthcare?
Let me answer for the poster. He probably isn't in favor of either. The Trick is to identify them. The puzzle, and disappointment here is that Medicaid does a lot of the providing for mental health. That is a serious issue. We should separate Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid from any calculations on the federal budget. Probably a couple of other social departments as well.
No one is horrified if you have the flu. People, family, and friends will shun you if you are crazy. The stigma is hard to deal with, and there is no test for it.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Do I detect a bit of aggression here?

I guess I should consider myself fortunate that I'm not within your firing range....
If you are in MY firing range, you'd best be behind the safe line.
"and be wearing ear and eye protection."

Old 02-17-2018, 12:18 PM

1,704 posts, read 750,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Let me answer for the poster. He probably isn't in favor of either. The Trick is to identify them. The puzzle, and disappointment here is that Medicaid does a lot of the providing for mental health. That is a serious issue. We should separate Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid from any calculations on the federal budget. Probably a couple of other social departments as well.
No one is horrified if you have the flu. People, family, and friends will shun you if you are crazy. The stigma is hard to deal with, and there is no test for it.
The essential problem here is two fold. One is the fact that the U.S. is far behind most other technologically advanced "civilized" countries in terms of healthcare. Most civilized countries have some form of universal healthcare (which automatically involves governmental compensation).

Secondly, IMHO everyone has their moments of mental instability. For example, I'm usually a very calm and mentally stable kinda guy. But don't ever cut me off while driving, otherwise you might not think so!

To be labeled "mentally unstable" is quite a hurdle to overcome, but it's the entire field of mind therapy that concerns me!

Most of the so-called psychologists and psychiatrists have mental issues of their own. Brain doctors and neurological pathologists have my complete advocation. However psychologists, not so much! There's very little science involved in talk-therapy....

You might as well meet someone at the coffee shop or neighborhood bar for a much better experience, at a substantially reduced price....

Old 02-17-2018, 12:19 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
No!

You're wrong!

It's a mass-shooting every 60 hours! Not every two or three months!

This crap is absolutely ridiculous!
Nonsense. Everything is a mass shooting now. We have redefined the term to make it DRAMATIC. Mass shooting REALLY only happens every few months. If one guy shoots his wife and kids it is NOT a mass shooting. I f a robber goes into a mall and shoots a couple of people during a robbery it is NOT a mass shooting. We need to stop with the silly Kimmeling of every situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies