Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 02:21 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I should add - they liked to be with us when they weren't at work. My dad was military, and my mom worked full time for the government from the time I was 5. They met in the military in the 50s.
You had a working mom who also spent time with and enjoyed her kids. I had a SAHM who wasn’t at all interested in spending time with us. Guess there’s more to parenting than whether a parent works or not. Guess the childhood experience kids had, even in the 50s and 60s, varied based on their parents attitudes and not just if the mom worked outside the home or didn’t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 02:25 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
I think it was more of a feminist reaction to men, who defined their role in marriage as being a good source of financial support, an insult to women.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:26 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Feminism was just a cog in the redistribution of wealth. “The U.S. court system loves divorce / child support because it takes money from creators (men) and gives it to spenders (women). It's a very common statistic but women do like 80% of consumer spending in USA (and the 20% that the guys are doing is probably just houses / cars / electronics /INVESTMENTS. Women spend their money on crap). ”
If you mean crap like groceries, clothing, toiletries, school supplies, pet food, gifts for birthdays and holidays etc for the whole family, then yes. Women are still the primary person responsible for buying that crap. If men did their fair share of buying things just to make sure everyone was fed and clothed, their percent would be higher. Can’t eat or wear houses, cars, electronics or investments now can you?

Old 02-27-2018, 04:12 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
I would no say my mum was not interested in us, however raising two boys on a farm. On our days away from school it was up at dawn with our dad, working all day, and comming back in the evening.

When we got home we were all expected to chip in assist with the cooking and cleaning then played cards before bed.

This was the 1980's not the 1950's, however the results are my brother and i are equally at home in the kitchen as we are outside. We both agree we are far better at cooking than our wives, and do most of it.

Everyone lives in different "bubbles" however the picture some feminists like to paint of men been lazy slobs who cant even be bothered getting themselves a bowl of cereal, is about as far from my life reality as you can get.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:13 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yes it was a bad thing for many reasons...

Money is power and yes even in the home. Back in those days women performed unpaid work and men went out to work, and men controlled the money, many men abused the power. Because of this women depended on men and if that man was abusive, a cheater, etc, she had to put up with it because she could not support herself.

In her later years it also negatively effected the woman's SS. And if her husband should pass young she was left in poverty. Hillary mentioned this issue early in the 2016 election cycle. By earning your own money you are not dependent and don't have to tolerate abuse and you could earn your own SS and save for your elderly years.

Never depend on anyone. I don't consider myself a feminist, especially todays version of a feminist (I don't wear a pink hat) but if believing in being self reliant and independent is feminist so be it.
Just a point of note, but a full-time mother has the option of putting household money (and that's how my husband and I treat the paycheck he earns) into an IRA of her own.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
If you mean crap like groceries, clothing, toiletries, school supplies, pet food, gifts for birthdays and holidays etc for the whole family, then yes. Women are still the primary person responsible for buying that crap. If men did their fair share of buying things just to make sure everyone was fed and clothed, their percent would be higher. Can’t eat or wear houses, cars, electronics or investments now can you?
It's shocking how many people want to overlook this aspect of consumer spending. Somebody has to take responsibility for filling the pantry every week!

Old 02-27-2018, 04:22 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
It seems like some feminist want to control home life and work life outside the home. I can't control the hostile to male work life dictated by the government, but I'm not going to let some feminist call the shots in my home .

Old 02-27-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It seems like some feminist want to control home life and work life outside the home. I can't control the hostile to male work life dictated by the government, but I'm not going to let some feminist call the shots in my home .
How so?

Old 02-27-2018, 04:41 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And that has changed tremendously in the last decade. A lot of parents simply don't want to be with their own kids. It's really sad.
Maybe you need to hang out with better quality people, because that certainly isn’t common amongst the families I know.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:41 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
How so?
By micromanaging housework, and who does what and when and does their "share" and promoting "equality" in the household.

It's a female thing to keep a house clean and pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies