Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 04:21 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Since you like to complain about liberal Hollywood, why haven't conservatives started their own entertainment studios? I'm not talking about the fringe stuff that Kirk Cameron does. I'm talking about Meryl type talent. I'm sure that there must be talented conservatives.

There's a lot of money with conservatives so what has stopped them from getting studios, finding good actors who are conservatives, building movie theaters, tv stations, starting a Netflix type business, etc?

I would think that the audience would be there based on the Hollywood hatred here. There must be some reason that no one has done it. Look at what Tyler Perry has done just by focusing on the black community. Conservatives make up a larger percentage than black people. Instead of expecting Hollywood to change, why don't conservatives get off their soapbox and do something about it?
Because there isn't much artistic drive or talent among conservatives.

My theory is that Republicans/Conservatives are usually all about the nuts and bolts of money. That's why, politically, they're anti-tax, pro-corporation. There's money to be made in Hollywood, of course, but it's not a sure thing. And, meanwhile, Republicans evidently don't nurture creativity in their kids, and we already know that they're against arts funding, so they rarely grow up to be in the cinematic arts.

This would be a good question for the Movie forum, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 05:18 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

My theory is that Republicans/Conservatives are usually all about the nuts and bolts of money. That's why, politically, they're anti-tax, pro-corporation. There's money to be made in Hollywood, of course, but it's not a sure thing. And, meanwhile, Republicans evidently don't nurture creativity in their kids, and we already know that they're against arts funding, so they rarely grow up to be in the cinematic arts.

I am a conservative/libertarian and was an English Lit major, and writer before I got my MBA. So your entire post is crap, as I know many others with similar, creative backgrounds. We just chose to actually, ya know, work, and be successful.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:23 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am a conservative/libertarian and was an English Lit major, and writer before I got my MBA. So your entire post is crap, as I know many others with similar, creative backgrounds. We just chose to actually, ya know, work, and be successful.
And Hollywood is not successful? Box office was a billion dollars last month. That's billion with a B.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:31 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,602,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
There's a lot of conservative and "family values" being made, some are pretty good. Conservatives gripe about "Hollywood" but they have movies being made for them and by them, too. They just have to look for it.
I'm not into movies and TV a whole lot these days. But any (or most) action-adventure flicks implicitly promote conservative agendas of a highly muscular self-defense, especially a "lone self-reliant person literally battling the odds type" with "strong personality" airs. That's an image appealing to a lot of social conservatives and even many libertarians. Arguably, The Hunger Games and Mockingjay fall into that category, even if Katness is female - especially if you care more about the values promoted than the gender or sex of the lead character promoting them.

If you want to go back further, Touched by an Angel and especially Promised Land also fall into that category.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:42 PM

37,224 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Don't feel bad. There are a lot of people who can't make a living writing cause nobody will actually pay for their work. I understand a few of them are Liberals, too. Hard to believe, ain't it...?

Old 03-05-2018, 05:44 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This. Even movies like the God's Not Dead series and the Left Behind series are wildly successful compared to most films of the ilk. Anybody seen movies like War Room, The Grace Card, Facing the Giants, or What Would Jesus Do?
Have seen Facing the Giants and War Room. They were great.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

Creativity is being forced out of kids by the public school system. I was one of the lucky ones, though I had to work hard to keep it intact. Besides, I lucked out, Common Core came up right behind me and I just missed it.

I intend my first published work to be to Common Core/Fed Ed/Crony Capitalist Workforce Development/open borders, etc what Uncle Tom's Cabin was to slavery or what the Christmas Carol was to the Industrial machine or what The Jungle was to the meatpacking industry.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:50 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Then why so much complaining? It's never going back to being conservative in the forefront. Accept it or start your own business.

You don't have to explain Hollywood to me. I know all about the history.

"Accept it or start your own business."

I'm sure you posted along those same lines during the #OscarsSoWhite stink a couple of years ago. Oh...no?

I see.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:53 PM

37,224 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
This. Even movies like the God's Not Dead series and the Left Behind series are wildly successful compared to most films of the ilk. Anybody seen movies like War Room, The Grace Card, Facing the Giants, or What Would Jesus Do?
I saw "Jesus Camp". Scariest horror movie I've seen in years.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I believe War Room was up there as a top seller at one point: https://www.christianexaminer.com/ar...eeks/49623.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies