Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 03:10 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If you're toting a hog leg, you're worried about something. I've owned guns for 60 years and never considered carrying one. I refuse to live in fear of anything.

Let me explain how that works.

As civilians, we are expected to avoid the places where we think we need a gun. We are suppose to avoid dangerous places.

One carries a gun as much as they can for if they have to use it, then that day was like any other.

One does not want the opposing counsel to be able to show premeditation. Ie, "So, Ms. Ounce, on the day that you shot my client, you were in fear of him. You strapped on your gun so you could shoot him."

It may not have turned out that way but it may be an interpretation that the counsel gets the jury to believe.

So one carries as much as they can so any day is like any other.

IF there is anything to fear, it is how this world likes to crucify people for defending themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 03:42 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
I am so glad I'm not that terrified of living. Too much baggage both physical and mental to haul around all the time.

Why are you so afraid?
Quote:
If you're toting a hog leg, you're worried about something. I've owned guns for 60 years and never considered carrying one. I refuse to live in fear of anything.
It always goes back to "you carry a gun because you are afraid". How can we convince you guys that we aren't. We are prepared. I'm prepared for losing my electricity during a winter ice storm. I'm prepared for being cut-off from a food source due to a natural disaster (I live near the New Madrid fault line and in the 2nd most active tornado area in the US). I'm prepared for a house fire. I'm prepared for having minor car trouble while on the road. I'm prepared for minor injuries. While I never made it out of cub scouts, I do take the boy scout motto seriously.

I've seen numerous family members (one in particular) freeze up during stressful situations. When time is of the essence, you want to have a mental plan and execute it. Whether that's a grease fire on the stove or a guy trying to kick in your back door (I've had that one happen).

It probably goes back to my high school days of playing football. Not only did I physically practice the plays, I also ran through our playbook mentally over and over. I haven't set foot on a field since the mid '80s but I can tell you where all 11 players should be on "28 sweep". Same situation if my smoke detector goes off in the middle of the night. I know exactly what I will do and what my wife will do. We have discussed it. While we didn't meet in the back yard in our PJs as a practice, we know that's where we should be.

So come up with something better than the "afraid idea". It's not who we are.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:11 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

Yeah, I'm saying you are, as it is always the scenario that is brought up of someone entering your house at night to do bad things to you or your wife. Or some random attack on the street.

You have more chance of being hit by lightening. I don't go carrying around an iron rod sticking in the air in a thunderstorm, and I don't go walking around at night in known areas of drug dealers and gang bangers.

I don't need a gun for protection.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:37 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
Liberals are so against teachers with guns, yet teachers in liberal California carry guns.
Only a “handful†of California’s roughly 1,024 school districts had actually initiated programs to grant school employees permission to carry weapons, according to the Sacramento Bee (Associated Press estimated the number at about five). The Wall Street Journal reported that at least eight states currently allowed teachers “in some capacity†to carry guns on K-12 school grounds.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/je...ning-teachers/

Old 03-14-2018, 04:50 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Tens of THOUSANDS of accidents happen EVERY DAY.

Why should this one get CNN attention?
You really can't figure that out? The NRA and their Republican lackeyes in DC are saying all we need to do is arm teachers and everything will be wonderful. So here is an armed teacher who according to this postis also a train police reserve and he 1.) shows off his weapon in his and 2.) injures a student. And you really can't figure out why that's a news story? Realy?

SMH

Old 03-14-2018, 05:02 PM

37,219 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
It always goes back to "you carry a gun because you are afraid". How can we convince you guys that we aren't. We are prepared. I'm prepared for losing my electricity during a winter ice storm. I'm prepared for being cut-off from a food source due to a natural disaster (I live near the New Madrid fault line and in the 2nd most active tornado area in the US). I'm prepared for a house fire. I'm prepared for having minor car trouble while on the road. I'm prepared for minor injuries. While I never made it out of cub scouts, I do take the boy scout motto seriously.

I've seen numerous family members (one in particular) freeze up during stressful situations. When time is of the essence, you want to have a mental plan and execute it. Whether that's a grease fire on the stove or a guy trying to kick in your back door (I've had that one happen).

It probably goes back to my high school days of playing football. Not only did I physically practice the plays, I also ran through our playbook mentally over and over. I haven't set foot on a field since the mid '80s but I can tell you where all 11 players should be on "28 sweep". Same situation if my smoke detector goes off in the middle of the night. I know exactly what I will do and what my wife will do. We have discussed it. While we didn't meet in the back yard in our PJs as a practice, we know that's where we should be.

I worked as a gunsmith for four years, and sold literally hundreds of handguns to a lot of different kinds of people. Some were legitimate target shooters, but they wanted a different type of firearm from the CWP crowd. Some were hunters and fishermen who wanted a sidearm as a backup. The hog hunters loved .44 Ruger Blackhawks, even though four pounds of iron is more of a hindrance than a help in the woods, but reading too many articles by "experts" in the gun magazines had convinced them that a more powerful handgun is a better idea than actually learning to be proficient with something you can handle. The fishermen and plinkers bought a lot of .22 revolvers "in case of snakes", a lot of them because it's easier to kill a snake than to learn to identify which ones are venomous and which are beneficial. Those who wanted pistols to carry other than in the field were by and large either afraid of boogeymen behind every bush, had a James bond complex, or had a romantic notion that all hell would break loose one day and they would be John Wayne for the day and become a hero by stopping the bad guys.

It has been my experience that people who are not afraid do not customarily arm themselves as a matter of course every time they leave their homes.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:03 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
I worked as a gunsmith for four years, and sold literally hundreds of handguns to a lot of different kinds of people. Some were legitimate target shooters, but they wanted a different type of firearm from the CWP crowd. Some were hunters and fishermen who wanted a sidearm as a backup. The hog hunters loved .44 Ruger Blackhawks, even though four pounds of iron is more of a hindrance than a help in the woods, but reading too many articles by "experts" in the gun magazines had convinced them that a more powerful handgun is a better idea than actually learning to be proficient with something you can handle. The fishermen and plinkers bought a lot of .22 revolvers "in case of snakes", a lot of them because it's easier to kill a snake than to learn to identify which ones are venomous and which are beneficial. Those who wanted pistols to carry other than in the field were by and large either afraid of boogeymen behind every bush, had a James bond complex, or had a romantic notion that all hell would break loose one day and they would be John Wayne for the day and become a hero by stopping the bad guys.

It has been my experience that people who are not afraid do not customarily arm themselves as a matter of course every time they leave their homes.
Thanks for your perspective, which is exactly what mine is, without the first hand knowledge you have.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Did you actually ask these people or did you make assumptions about them as well? Statistically your sample size of "hundreds" isn't larger enough to make any assumptions about millions of gun owners.

If you stated your reasons for not carrying a gun then I would respect that decision. I'm not trying to force you to carry one either directly or through a proxy (government). I just asking the same in return.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:17 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The moral of the story: people aren't dangerous, guns are. Ban the guns !
[/sarcasm font off]
No need to ban guns, just keep them out of schools

Old 03-14-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yeah, I'm saying you are, as it is always the scenario that is brought up of someone entering your house at night to do bad things to you or your wife. Or some random attack on the street.

You have more chance of being hit by lightening. I don't go carrying around an iron rod sticking in the air in a thunderstorm, and I don't go walking around at night in known areas of drug dealers and gang bangers.

I don't need a gun for protection.
I've played those scenarios over in my head as well as many others. My next training will cover some of them with force on force using simunition (gunpowder fired paint rounds that hurt like heck.)

The county I live in has a crime rate 10x lower than the national average but there have been two home invasions very close to my house in the last few years. Six months ago a police foot chase came through the empty lot behind my house. The perp tried hiding in an empty house under construction. In these and every other case, the criminal picks the time and location of the incident. My goal is to be prepared for it.

I don't remember reading about anyone being struck by lightning in the 18 years I have lived here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies