Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 01:47 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
He is a reserve police officer, fully trained in firearms. And he shows off his loaded weapon and discharges it in a class full of kids.

Fire him. Now.

It will send a message to other gung-ho "educators" who think they will save the day, guns blazing.

Letting teachers carry weapons is a dumb idea from a dumb administration.
I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 02:01 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
My father taught me that there is nothing more useless than an unloaded gun. Every one of my semi-autos in the same has a loaded mag in it. Extra mags are stored loaded. The pistol on my right hip has 15 in the mag and one in the chamber. In fact, there was no discussion in my defensive pistol class about carrying without one in the chamber. It was assumed that everyone did.
I refuse to live life in fear.

I have numerous guns, but none are for "protection". They are for target practice or hunting. I've never even come close to worrying about them fro anything else.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:02 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I refuse to live life in fear.

I have numerous guns, but none are for "protection". They are for target practice or hunting. I've never even come close to worrying about them fro anything else.
I don't live in fear either. Because I carry a gun doesn't mean I am scared of something.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:13 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
You don't know how I live. This discussion is just a small aspect of my very fulfilling life with my family.

Do I live in fear of being stranded during a trip because I have AAA? Do I live in fear of a house fire because I have smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher? Do I live in fear of death because I have a life insurance policy? No. These are things that responsible adults do.

I love my family and I will protect them against every threat.
You walk around with a gun attached to your hip and a small arsenal in a safe.. Having a gun in your house is a proportionately much LARGER threat than the wild beasts you are expecting to come through your door at any moment. You have an arsenal in a safe in your home, that creates a much bigger threat to everyone in your neighborhood as well that you or someone in your family will slip up or go nuts and have the means to slaughter.

Your mentality is one of fear and paranoia. It's what drives the vast majority of gun fetish types, and it basically encompasses in a microcosm the exact predicament we are in as a nation. Take a step back..what is different about our country than others in the west that we have gun massacres and they don't? It's not anti-depressants, it's not the internet, it's not video games..all western nations have those as well. The difference is the obsession and possession of guns, and people like you continue to perpetuate it, and worse yet think you are heroes for doing so.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:26 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,398,607 times
The NRA insists some teachers pack guns in our school classrooms.

Tell you what NRA . . . let's do that! Let's make a deal. Let's allow one teacher in each and every school in the USA to pack one gun.

How is that? Do you like that? Does that make you happy? How does that feel?

Let's assume the suggestion of gun-packing teachers across the USA blows your skirt up to the point of euphoria. Hey! Congratulations! You are now a happy, red-cheeked, beaming, broad toothed, chipper, smiling NRA advocate.

OK. Here's the trade-off:

You can have your one gun-packing teacher per school as long as the NRA pays for and supply each and every student in the USA with a bullet proof vest.

How was that, baby?

How 'bout that?

Old 03-14-2018, 02:43 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You walk around with a gun attached to your hip and a small arsenal in a safe.. Having a gun in your house is a proportionately much LARGER threat than the wild beasts you are expecting to come through your door at any moment.
The old "if you own a gun, you are more likely to die by a gun than people who don't own guns. If you know statistics, then you know if you have stairs in your house you are more likely to die falling down them than someone who lives in a single story house. I took both theoretical and applied statistics when getting my graduate degree so your statement means nothing to me.

Quote:
You have an arsenal in a safe in your home, that creates a much bigger threat to everyone in your neighborhood as well that you or someone in your family will slip up or go nuts and have the means to slaughter.
I have both the means and the know-how to slaughter without ever picking up a gun. I could definitely do much more damage but I won't. I'm not a violent person. I've never been in a fight and I'm pushing 50 years old so I think I can keep that streak alive. I don't hunt because I really don't want to kill an animal.

As far as being a threat to my neighborhood, you should see the number of NRA, Ducks Unlimited (hunters) and gun stickers on trucks around here. The guy across the street works at a gun range and sells home built target stands out of his garage. Before you think this is a bunch of rednecks in a trailer park, we are just your average suburb full of "McMansions".

Quote:
Your mentality is one of fear and paranoia.
How can you judge me when you don't know me?

Quote:
It's what drives the vast majority of gun fetish types, and it basically encompasses in a microcosm the exact predicament we are in as a nation.
Why the sexual reference? Do you apply the same to car guys? There are 3 guys in my neighborhood who restore old Corvette Stingrays.

Quote:
Take a step back..what is different about our country than others in the west that we have gun massacres and they don't? It's not anti-depressants, it's not the internet, it's not video games..all western nations have those as well. The difference is the obsession and possession of guns, and people like you continue to perpetuate it,
A massacre is a massacre despite the tool being used. I don't like violence in any form.
At Least 80 Dead in Norway Shooting - The New York Times
What happened at the Bataclan? - BBC News
https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/22/europ...oes/index.html
Kenya attack: 147 dead in Garissa University assault - BBC News

I could keep going but you get my drift.

Quote:
and worse yet think you are heroes for doing so.
No I don't. I'm just a guy who likes to be prepared. If I never use my gun, I will be happy. Same with my fire extinguisher or my supply of dehydrated food.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:55 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
My father taught me that there is nothing more useless than an unloaded gun. Every one of my semi-autos in the same has a loaded mag in it. Extra mags are stored loaded. The pistol on my right hip has 15 in the mag and one in the chamber. In fact, there was no discussion in my defensive pistol class about carrying without one in the chamber. It was assumed that everyone did.
I am so glad I'm not that terrified of living. Too much baggage both physical and mental to haul around all the time.

Why are you so afraid?

Old 03-14-2018, 02:55 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,310,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
He is a reserve police officer, fully trained in firearms. And he shows off his loaded weapon and discharges it in a class full of kids.

Fire him. Now.

It will send a message to other gung-ho "educators" who think they will save the day, guns blazing.

Letting teachers carry weapons is a dumb idea from a dumb administration.
Exactly

Old 03-14-2018, 02:57 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I am so glad I'm not that terrified of living. Too much baggage both physical and mental to haul around all the time.

Why are you so afraid?
That is one opinion......it does not happen to be mine.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:00 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That is one opinion......it does not happen to be mine.
If you're toting a hog leg, you're worried about something. I've owned guns for 60 years and never considered carrying one. I refuse to live in fear of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies