Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 07:24 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I think ALL of the school administrators, from the head of the Board of Education down to the classroom teacher, should be "suspended WITHOUT pay" for participating in a political issue taking away fro class room time.

And any student who did NOT attend class should also be suspended.
Yet you think this student who didn't listen, shouldn't be suspended?

Amazing.

Hope you didn't hurt yourself on that twist of logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 07:27 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,513 times
I am for a bit of regulation of guns, so I am not a rabid pro gun person.

But this suspension is stupid. When I send my kid to school it is for teaching. It is not for protesting. They can do it on their own time in the evenings or weekends, with parents supervising.

The right thing for the school to do was for the teachers and students to remain in the classrooms, and those who chose to protest can do at their own risk and let their parents supervise them if they wish.

Thank God my kid's school had this sensible policy instead of the stupid study hall option. If my kid got suspended for not protesting and staying in the classroom I would sue the school district.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:28 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Especially does not equal exclusively.

Silly game?

Nah. Facts.
so if you are a DITCH DIGGER AND ARE PAID TO DIG A DITCH AND YOU DO not DO IT SHOULD YOU STILL BE PAID?

facts.

Just because you are called "Teacher", does NOT make you one.

If I hire you to be a "salesman" and are paid commissions what you sell and do NOT sell anything, should you still be paid?

Are you REALLY a salesman?

Old 03-17-2018, 07:30 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
I think ALL of the school administrators, from the head of the Board of Education down to the classroom teacher, should be "suspended WITHOUT pay" for participating in a political issue taking away fro class room time.

And any student who did NOT attend class should also be suspended.
There was no class to attend.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:31 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
so if you are a DITCH DIGGER AND ARE PAID TO DIG A DITCH AND YOU DO not DO IT SHOULD YOU STILL BE PAID?

facts.

Just because you are called "Teacher", does NOT make you one.

If I hire you to be a "salesman" and are paid commissions what you sell and do NOT sell anything, should you still be paid?

Are you REALLY a salesman?
Schools every day have assemblies for this or for that. They have forever.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:32 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I can see the student's point about not wanting to be pushed into a political position by either going with the protesters or going to a separate part of the school, which would seem to imply that someone is totally on the opposite end of the political spectrum from the protestors, which may not be the case.

Schools make various policies and rules for students to follow and most of the time they're fairly reasonable, but in this case, knowing that this is such a politicized issue, perhaps it could have been dealt with the student's "protest of the protest" differently.

Schools also know that nowadays when they screw up with a policy decision and the news hits the street, it is going to be publicized and politicized with hyperbole well out of proportion with what the original conflict was (where the student and the administration each have their own side to the story), especially in today's uber sensitive and hyped media environment, from the bottom to the top.

The OP framing this as "Is Liberty dying?" is melodramatic, at least in terms of this example.
Did you miss part of the letter of suspension said, the letter said. “Student not permitted on school property.â€

Old 03-17-2018, 07:47 AM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Did you miss part of the letter of suspension said, the letter said. “Student not permitted on school property.”
No, I didn't miss it. That's generally what "suspended" means. And as stated in my previous post, in this particular case, I don't think the school handled this the best way by overreacting with a suspension concerning something that is an issue where people (especially the young people themselves who are directly affected concerning their sense of safety) are going to have differing and strong points of view.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:49 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Public sector unions (which we pay for through taxes) are some of the largest Democrat Donors, and supporters in the country. The American Federation of Teachers, the National Education Association are some of the largest, not to mention other public unions like SEIU, and AFSCME. Huge, conflict of interest. They are just segments of big government, and the big government agenda.
I take issue with this. Are you in a public sector union? I am. My Union does NOT allow money from Union dues to go to campaign contributions. Full stop. We DO have a PAC that accepts voluntary individual donations--not from dues collected, but from my checkbook. Other unions, other states, other rules. But I am in NO way a segment of big government. My union is about my contract--and making sure the benefits and rights we have as workers are not thrown away.

Do you know why most union support goes to Democrats? Because historically the Democratic party favored initiatives that favored unions. Why would we support someone who would vote for things that would make it more difficult for union workers? It's been about the little guy--the average blue collar worker, who pays taxes, works hard, and cares about how others are treated. Now things have flipped a bit, and gun rights, immigration issues, NAFTA, etc., have made things more complicated. But the one thing that will always remain for union members is the protection of the middle class. It's a battle we are losing, by the way. Unless people get their carp together, the erosion of the middle class will continue.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:53 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This just proves that the whole "walkout" has been politically motivated and these kids are being used as pawns. They are being forced to support it. The suspension notice this kid was given stated the reason for his suspension was "Student refused to follow instructions."
The kid insisted on staying in an empty classroom against the instructions of the school staff. The kid had an option of not going to the protest and not being suspended. The kid chose otherwise.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:56 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is the first time I have ever heard about someone getting suspended for not "protesting".
You still haven't heard it because that is not what happened. So your record is unblemished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies