Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 07:57 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You mean indoctrinated government worker, don't you?
You should be happen that the student gets to avoid a day on indoctrination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 08:09 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
You still haven't heard it because that is not what happened. So your record is unblemished.
While I agree it was not a protest the school called it a protest so in that way he was indeed suspended for not protesting. In reality since this was not a protest he was suspended for protesting.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:18 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Looks like School Policy is NOT EDUCATION, it Political Agenda of the Teacchers & Staff.
It was a school day, the student had every right to expect to be in school and not forced into a Political Protest.

What next? Brown Shirts & Arm Bands?
this.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:31 AM

19,643 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Ooh those kids are such rebels and radicals, their "protest" is organized by the school. The only real protester was the kid who wouldn't do it.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:46 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Ooh those kids are such rebels and radicals, their "protest" is organized by the school. The only real protester was the kid who wouldn't do it.
The student was a protester. He didn't like the options he was given so he decided to do his own protest. He did it on school grounds and disobeyed the school staff while doing it. When you disobey school staff on school grounds there is a good chance you will be suspended.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:57 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
He had the option of alternative study hall, where he should have gone if he chose not to participate in the walkout.

Segregation?

Old 03-17-2018, 09:02 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Agree. This student was suspended for refusing "to follow instructions." He didn't want to make any political statement at all. So he stayed in class.

Walking out of class, whether to study hall or going outside was the same thing. He disagreed with it.

Reminds me of all the cases in which a victim of police brutality is charged with failing to obey police orders.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:14 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOL!!!

Yes, he should listen to his teacher or suffer the consequences. He was given a CLEAR choice...protest or not. Neither of which would have lead to suspension. He chose his hill to die on by NOT listening.

Would you be upset if a kid got suspended for walking out after being told not to?

My kids have my complete support in walking out next month (April 20). If they get suspended, then so be it. They know the consequences. But sometimes you have to suffer the consequences to stand up for what you believe in.
Complete mischaracterization of what happened. His choice was to protest or leave class for “study hall.” He was the only one doing what he was supposed to do and got suspended for it. It was the teacher who left him in the class by himself because he or she wanted to go protest. I hope the parents sue. I would.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:33 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,628,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Looks like School Policy is NOT EDUCATION, it Political Agenda of the Teacchers & Staff.
It was a school day, the student had every right to expect to be in school and not forced into a Political Protest.

What next? Brown Shirts & Arm Bands?
exactly..I find it disgusting that these kids were forced...FORCED to participaye in this..just left wing fearmongering BS

Old 03-17-2018, 10:06 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,742 times
All of you getting all frothy about this student, let me ask you this. If there is going to be a school-wide presentation that the admin has decided has value to the student body, and it is on something like health & wellness. My child is in band, and the teacher says, "Okay, everyone, we're going to the auditorium for a presentation." Is my child then supposed to say, "Nope, you are here to teach me band."? No. Things change sometimes, so the argument that it's completely static in schools is silly.

No kids were forced to participate that I have heard of. Both of my children had alternatives. One of my kids opted to stay and work on homework while others went outside for less than 20 mins. All were back in there seats, and missed half a class. My daughter (in middle school) participated in a project and opted to write a letter to families of those that lost their lives offering her condolences. Students leaving her school would have been subject to discipline. I don't know if any did, and neither does daughter.

And you may not know all the details about teachers that DID participate & got in trouble. But schools and their teachers have a responsibility to keep kids safe.

When I was in 6th grade, there was a program where we could be safety patrols. "Safeties" would be posted in hallways during dismissal and in the morning before classes to keep kids in order. There were also Safeties on the playground. I didn't want to be one. I wanted no part of it. There was one other kid who didn't want to either. So, during the Safety training, this kid & I went to a "study hall." We read books, did our homework, and that sort of thing. It was an alternative to the other thing. I had a choice. I was NOT given the option of staying alone in my seat in my classroom, which I would have preferred, frankly. But it was no big deal. It was for my own well-being. I was in a place where I could be supervised. What is the big whoop?

All across the country, kids made this decision. And different schools handled it in different ways.

The kid in the original thread? If he decided to "take a stand," fine. But he has to bear the consequences because he was offered an alternative. But get it out of your heads that he was suspended for not protesting. That isn't true in any way, shape, or form. He made his bed, he must lie in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies