Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 01:24 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I may have missed it, but where do they state there was the option of going to a study hall?

The way I read it - they're correct in saying a school cannot leave anyone unattended in the building. However, they should have offered another option on the form itself, stating that students who didn't wish to participate could gather in the auditorium or library or wherever where there would be an assigned teacher to oversee them while they studied or did homework.

Unless I'm missing something I didn't see any mention of another option.
You may have already seen it by now but, in case you have not, here is "what you are missing".
It seems that the kids original narrative that got spun into something FALSE on social media that did not tell it exactly as it happened. Surprise, surprise on that score!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.19f974beccb0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 01:31 PM

Default Stufdent gets suspended..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Just another example of liberal teachers and school administrators proving they're more about indoctrination than education.
Have you not been reading the updates in this thread that provide a correction to the original & false narrative put out here by the op? The updates have told what really happened.
This thread, up to the point of your post and now after it, has been full of correct accounts of what really happened at that school so I must ask as to why you are thus still posting an opinion that is not based on the FACTS of the situation?

http://https://www.washingtonpost.co...=.19f974beccb0

Old 03-17-2018, 01:41 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
You may have already seen it by now but, in case you have not, here is "what you are missing".
It seems that the kids original narrative that got spun into something FALSE on social media that did not tell it exactly as it happened. Surprise, surprise on that score!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.19f974beccb0

Thanks, Atler. Someone did point it out to me earlier in the thread. He was given two options and chose to take neither, so now he's suffering the consequences. I don't see what the big deal is, except that the way it's being portrayed is that he was suspended for not protesting, which is a lie.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:46 PM

10,457 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
He was suspended for not listening to his teacher.

Totally normal to get suspended for not listening to your teacher.
And then what happens when that teacher tells him to have sex with him/her? Just because a teacher tells you to do something, doesn't mean it's right, or lawful! The teachers in my opinion, were breaking the laws by using these kids as pawns. This student seen right through their BS and refused to play their games. I hope his parents sue the hell out of the public school system, then use the money to go to a private school.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
And then what happens when that teacher tells him to have sex with him/her? Just because a teacher tells you to do something, doesn't mean it's right, or lawful! The teachers in my opinion, were breaking the laws by using these kids as pawns. This student seen right through their BS and refused to play their games. I hope his parents sue the hell out of the public school system, then use the money to go to a private school.
It was not one "teacher". It was a strategy decided upon by the school to minimize disruption. Basically you could walk out to the memorial for the slain students or you could go to the study hall. The majority of students by the way went to the study hall.

This guy decided neither choice was tolerable. Tough call. But he made it and stuck to it.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:04 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
If the kid did not want to participate with the demonstration, he was supposed to go to study hall.

Very simple, very solvable.

He didn't go to study hall, he was suspended.

Sounds right.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-17-2018, 04:07 PM

Default Student gets suspended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Thanks, Atler. Someone did point it out to me earlier in the thread. He was given two options and chose to take neither, so now he's suffering the consequences. I don't see what the big deal is, except that the way it's being portrayed is that he was suspended for not protesting, which is a lie.
Exactly! A lie.
This leads me to recall the story that was promoted HUGELY on fox news after the Parkland shooting wherein CNN supposedly would not let a student ask the question that he wanted to ask at the on air CNN Town Hall.
The "scandalous" anti-CNN narrative was constantly put forth on fox news. As it happens, the kids father eventually confessed to having altered part of the communication record between his son & CNN which changed entirely the context of the communication record.
fox was forced to retract their story & tucker carlson aired an on air correction.
Which leads to the question of why does the "right" lie in such situations like these and present incorrect versions of these type of stories?
What's to be gained in a lie if the truth (the most important thing!) comes to the light eventually?
The end result of misinformation can be seen over and over such as here on the forum where the op created a thread topic based on an INCORRECT version of what happened at the school in Ohio where the student was suspended.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:13 PM

Default Student gets suspended..

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post

Oh for crying out loud!
Have you not paid attention here as to the FACTS of the situation and how they differ from what the op posted when they created this thread?
The FACTUAL TRUTH is available if you seek it.
I've now posted this link twice so READ IT!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7a53275da68f

Old 03-17-2018, 04:30 PM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times
How about not having these memorials , protests or walk outs during school hours but in the evening after school is over or on the weekends. Then we'll see how many "concerned " kids there really are.

Any time you give kids the option to miss class to do something else - whether they agree with it or not - most are going to do it to get out of class.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:46 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If the kid did not want to participate with the demonstration, he was supposed to go to study hall.

Very simple, very solvable.

He didn't go to study hall, he was suspended.

Sounds right.
But was the suspension justified? Just because he didn't follow the rules, that doesn't necessarily mean he should be suspended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies