Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 04:18 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Schools have assemblies and speeches all the time. Even political ones.

Donald Trump proposes expanded 'school choice' during visit to Cleveland charter school | cleveland.com

Yes, was there a thread about this or a similar occurrence? Or was it okay because it was Donny Boy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Legitimate school sponsored events must be related to curriculum based teaching and learning, and schools cannot decide that classes will be canceled on the basis that the admin holds beliefs about guns.
Can a school decide that a class will be canceled to honor a local veteran who lost his life?

Old 03-19-2018, 04:21 AM

Quote:
What sort of "entertainment breaks" do you think happen during classes in schools?
Oh all sorts!

Field days
Santa's Work Shop
Christmas shows
Talent shows
Awards day
Yearbook day
Class ring day
Senior tea

That's just off the top of my head...

Oh! And many schools allow those attending semi or prom to leave early so the kids can get ready for the event.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
And then what happens when that teacher tells him to have sex with him/her? Just because a teacher tells you to do something, doesn't mean it's right, or lawful! The teachers in my opinion, were breaking the laws by using these kids as pawns. This student seen right through their BS and refused to play their games. I hope his parents sue the hell out of the public school system, then use the money to go to a private school.
https://media.giphy.com/media/xUPGcz...4glW/giphy.gif

Old 03-19-2018, 04:59 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
He had the option of alternative study hall, where he should have gone if he chose not to participate in the walkout.
this x100.
Thread fail. they make is sound like they made him do the anti gun thing.
That being said. Why the hell are schools taking any political side in anything.
If I want to raise my kid to be a gun nut. my business.
If I want to raise my kid to be a rabid anti gun nut. my business.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:06 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
From your link (see below), my impression is that the fault is with teachers who refused to stay at their posts and do their jobs. The student went to school to learn, teachers were hired to teach. Teachers who walk off the job are abandoning their responsibilities, and punishing the student for doing what is expected of students is bizarre.

"School district spokesperson Stacie Raterman said official policy prohibited school officials from leaving Shoemaker unattended in the building for “security reasons,†10TV reported."
Doesn’t seem like much of a protest when the teachers join in does it?

Old 03-19-2018, 06:10 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
this x100.
Thread fail. they make is sound like they made him do the anti gun thing.
That being said. Why the hell are schools taking any political side in anything.
If I want to raise my kid to be a gun nut. my business.
If I want to raise my kid to be a rabid anti gun nut. my business.
The school didn't take a political side. Acknowledging that students were going to walk out anyways, they chose to say -- if you walk out then this is what happens if you don't this is where you go.

The school was trying to allow students the CHOICE.

But what they didn't give is the choice to do whatever.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:39 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

No, he didn't, try getting the whole story. It was because he didn’t go to a designated area of the school where the non-protesters were supposed to be and instead stayed by himself in a classroom.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/st...ying-in-class/

This took me all of 3 seconds to find. The question here is, why didn't you put forth the effort?

Old 03-19-2018, 07:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
No, he didn't, try getting the whole story. It was because he didn’t go to a designated area of the school where the non-protesters were supposed to be and instead stayed by himself in a classroom.
As opposed to where the "protesters" were supposed to be? LOL

Old 03-19-2018, 07:58 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/st...ying-in-class/

This took me all of 3 seconds to find. The question here is, why didn't you put forth the effort?
He stayed in the classroom where he was scheduled to be. Are you against students standing up for what they believe in all of a sudden? Only when it’s convenient for your belief system?

Pathetic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies