Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 11:46 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,123,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
They sure know how to restrain themselves in broad daylight when a white mass shooter has shot and killed children at school. Somehow their reasoning skills kick in and they are able to not only talk down and not kill the shooter but arrest him with nary a scratch. But an encounter in the dark with a black man with what could be a gun = automatic death and that makes sense to most of you?
Daniel Shaver was white. So was Justine Damond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
You want me to have empathy towards this poor poor punk. People will feel empathy to people that they can put themselves in their place and say "it could be me".
But this is not the case here. A decent person is not breaking stuff. A decent person is not jumping fences. So what do you want? I say, kill all of those crazy thugs, I don't care, f them.
Even her?

Witness To Justine Damond Shooting Took Video Of Aftermath « WCCO | CBS Minnesota

Old 03-24-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Because over the (western) world there are not so many crazy, armed and dangerous thugs.
Like him?

Video: After shooting, officers left dying boy in car

Old 03-24-2018, 11:54 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
So he deserved to be shot 20 times and killed for an act of vandalism or theft?
Bet he doesn’t do that again. Let’s ask the people whose property he destroyed, see what they think.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Crickets. I guess the libs are speechless.
Because it destroys their narrative that cops are mostly racist, murdering psychopaths.

The reality is that while cops are mostly murdering psychopaths, not all of them are racist.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:56 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
They sure know how to restrain themselves in broad daylight when a white mass shooter has shot and killed children at school. Somehow their reasoning skills kick in and they are able to not only talk down and not kill the shooter but arrest him with nary a scratch. But an encounter in the dark with a black man with what could be a gun = automatic death and that makes sense to most of you?
Who is "they". Youre talking about a totally different city, situation, cops, police force, the list goes on. The hyprocracy that you can generalize against everyone but blacks is ridiculous.

Not only that but it was the cops being racist against white kids because most of the kids being shot were WHITE KIDS! so apparently it was racism against white Kids to let him kill as many as possible. I'm sure the parent of all those dead white kids sure felt that white privelege.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:03 PM

46,967 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Again, put yourself in their shoes, what would you do. Or can't you answer that.
I actually trained to be in their shoes, back in Europe. I sure as all out hope I would have a better grasp on threat containment, de-escalation (OMG! - perhaps you can defuse a situation and have both parties leave alive, what a concept!!!) and restrained use of force than these trigger-happy dolts.

Did you know that the entire German police force fired a total of 84 rounds in 2015? Not 84 dead citizens or 84 events where deadly force was merited - 84 rounds, total. And that was a bad year.

It's a training, recruiting and culture issue, and lots of US police departments have huge problems in those areas. On the other hand - look at Salt Lake City PD. They trained their officers in de-escalation, a bit of give-and-take. It was met with predictable scorn, but it works.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 03-24-2018 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 12:05 PM

46,967 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Every time the nation sees another BLM protest it creates a couple hundred thousand more trump voters.
We already know he's number one with racists, you don't have to point it out.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:16 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Bingo! I've posted the study previously but something like more than 80% of police polled stated they had seen abuse of power on a regular basis, that the culture of brotherhood and protecting one another leads to silence and apathy about it, etc.

Personally, I've never experienced it. I'd have to have my head up my behind, however, to pretend it doesn't exist, is 'just a few bad apples', or won't ever impact me or my loved ones. In large cities, it's pervasive among all forces - I'm convinced of it - yet we seldom hear about it. Laquon McDonald - and a DOJ report revealing the scum in Chicago yet nothing happened beyond a few cops. It's disgusting.

I agree. And I have stated here the un-PC sentiment that one of the reasons jumpy cops shoot a high proportion of black males is because cops are attacked / killed by a higher percentage of black males.

But that's no excuse for what we see. No excuse for playing judge and jury, beating people, or using a gun as their first / only course of action.

It was probably intended to be more anti-BLM, but I can understand why black posters have a problem with these kinds of threads because they almost always end up with people just looking for an excuse to bash black people.

I'm NOT referencing prospectheightsresident, but many of the posters who push the 'it's only a few bad apples' when it comes to bad cops, don't use the same logic of 'it's only a few bad apples' when it comes to black folks.
Im going to leave this right here:

Old 03-24-2018, 12:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 4,348,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
He got shot for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There was no indication that the cops even identified themselves as such. Take the worse case scenario. This guy pops out into his home backyard to make a private phone call and some guys run up screaming at him "Gun,gun,gun" and shine flash lights in his face. Does he have even a vague idea of what is happening?

Again I would wait a while until it sorts. He should not have been shot regardless of whether he was the vandal. But it gets much worse if he was simply a crucified bystander.
I'm not taking a position on whether or not the shooting was justified. I simply pointed out that he wasn't shot for vandalism/theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies