Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 07:55 AM

12,985 posts, read 13,738,537 times

Advertisements

I waiting for after the college basketball championship is won and students go out into the street and become criminals who are vandalizing and the police open fire on them.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 03-24-2018 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 08:01 AM

16,344 posts, read 8,135,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The hands have to be clearly visible at all times. You cannot have police guns pointed at you and reach for ANYTHING, not even if you pants are falling down.

That cop was an idiot and it could have been avoided, but with those kinds of cops around it is important to remember to keep hands visible and make it much harder for them to have a reason to fire.
Yes, I agree with that. If the cops saw what appeared to be a gun in Clark's hand, and he hesitated in dropping it, it could be argued that they were justified in opening fire. And I understand the practice of shooting until the threat is stopped. But it looked to me that Clark went down almost immediately, maybe by the second or third shot. Yet the cops kept shooting, and from a position of cover (the corner of the house), well after the point that the threat had been stopped.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:03 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,696,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's amazing that people can't see the parallels between their own lives/micro examples (such as the Stanford Prison Experiment) and society at large/macro examples (the State).

We aren't even saying that all police are inherently bad people. The paradigm we've created for them to function makes them extremely susceptible to bad habits/indulging the worst parts of them.

It would for any of us. The best of us.

You eliminate competition, give one group a monopoly of force, and then create special rules for these folks and hell yes you're going to turn otherwise normal folks into monsters.

It took what? Two days for the cops in the experiment to start throwing their weight around?

2 freaking days people.

Wake up!

Bingo! I've posted the study previously but something like more than 80% of police polled stated they had seen abuse of power on a regular basis, that the culture of brotherhood and protecting one another leads to silence and apathy about it, etc.

Personally, I've never experienced it. I'd have to have my head up my behind, however, to pretend it doesn't exist, is 'just a few bad apples', or won't ever impact me or my loved ones. In large cities, it's pervasive among all forces - I'm convinced of it - yet we seldom hear about it. Laquon McDonald - and a DOJ report revealing the scum in Chicago yet nothing happened beyond a few cops. It's disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ok, mostly everyone's favorite.

The thing that bothers me most about the majority of these situations, even ones where it's abundantly clear someone needed to stop a crazed person from hurting another so the cops did use lethal force, is that the overwhelmingly number of cops who respond are already hopped up with adrenaline flowing.

Humans convey that crap to each other. We sense it. Escalating a situation greatly reduces your ability to rationalize. It also freaks out the suspect too.

Yes, I know there are times when they are in one hell of a situation and even the coolest cat can be hyped up but it just seems like we have a huge contingent of cops who are adrenaline junkies. It's how they want to function. It's no wonder that you have a good number of ex-military now in blue. Hard to kick that habit.

I agree. And I have stated here the un-PC sentiment that one of the reasons jumpy cops shoot a high proportion of black males is because cops are attacked / killed by a higher percentage of black males.

But that's no excuse for what we see. No excuse for playing judge and jury, beating people, or using a gun as their first / only course of action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Where do you find that it is anti-black?

It was probably intended to be more anti-BLM, but I can understand why black posters have a problem with these kinds of threads because they almost always end up with people just looking for an excuse to bash black people.

I'm NOT referencing prospectheightsresident, but many of the posters who push the 'it's only a few bad apples' when it comes to bad cops, don't use the same logic of 'it's only a few bad apples' when it comes to black folks.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:16 AM

2,828 posts, read 830,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh bull.

I don't buy that for one minute.

And even if I wanted to give the little boy in uniform the benefit of the doubt, there is no reason to shoot at someone TWENTY times.
Again, put yourself in their shoes, what would you do. Or can't you answer that.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:18 AM

3,659 posts, read 3,804,378 times
I grew up in a large city and used to run the neighborhoods hard. There was lots of crime in some of the areas.

So, when I read and heard about this guy being out in his grandparents yard, talking on the phone, while there were cops searching the area with helicopter support I figured he was either really stupid, and if so his family should have gotten him indoors, or he was part of the problem.

You see the helicopter up with the search light and even a grade school kid knows there is bad stuff happening. You get inside. If for no other reason than not to be mistaken for being "part of the problem" or to not catch a stray bullet.

If innocent of everything, is stupid a reason to die? No. But stupid gets people killed quite often.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:20 AM

2,828 posts, read 830,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
They sure know how to restrain themselves in broad daylight when a white mass shooter has shot and killed children at school. Somehow their reasoning skills kick in and they are able to not only talk down and not kill the shooter but arrest him with nary a scratch. But an encounter in the dark with a black man with what could be a gun = automatic death and that makes sense to most of you?
What about the Maryland school shooting where the resource officer confronted the shooter and stopped him, every situation and every cop is different.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:31 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,663,053 times
You want me to have empathy towards this poor poor punk. People will feel empathy to people that they can put themselves in their place and say "it could be me".
But this is not the case here. A decent person is not breaking stuff. A decent person is not jumping fences. So what do you want? I say, kill all of those crazy thugs, I don't care, f them.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 AM

603 posts, read 448,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We dont know if it was him hopping the fences, and it is irrelevant if he was speaking on the phone of just holding it.

You obviously didn't watch the video.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,392,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Again, put yourself in their shoes, what would you do. Or can't you answer that.
Its simply amazing how trained officers the world over don't engage in this kind of violence but somehow American cops just can't help themselves.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,806,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
You obviously didn't watch the video.
I did. There was a guy hopping fences, but was it the same guy? The video did not show that.

Either way, why do the police engage a vandal like he was a terrorist shooting at them with an M-60?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies