Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 10:50 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Yes, there is a "logical explanation". It's called statistics. In a non-complaint interaction with police, after committing a crime, you ruin a statistical risk of being shot. This is the risk that anyone takes when they choose to commit a crime and then run from the police.

This is borne out of the risk that police officers take, and their resultant duty to protect their own lives when interacting with non-compliant criminals. Fortunately for society, internet quarterbacks with social agendas do not get to fully prosecute police officers for choices they make in regard to protecting their lives from criminal action (though show trials are often fine, as we saw in the case of Darren Wilson).
It does not matter if I can and you ca not or vice versa. You do not understand the legal status of the police officer. His or her witness carries judicial weight, far more than any non-police officer. This is always necessary for the enforcement of the law. Barring a prior suspect track record, the word of the officers on site is primary.
There is no entitlement for using lethal force unless it is in defense of the Officer's life or the life of another person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 10:51 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Are you intentionally being obtuse about this, jbg? The right to due process under the law.

The right to due process under the law.

Cops don't get to play judge, jury, and executioner no matter how many of you love seeing them in that role.
This is perfect, as it overtly describes how the Left misunderstands the legal role of the police officer.

First, let's get this "due process" garbage out of the way. Yes, due process is essential (except when #metoo, amirite?). However, there is no "due process" until you peacefully surrender. When you are a danger to police officers and the community, you will be subdued by any means necessary. See my recent previous posts for discussions of the nuances of what happens when you choose to run from the police. Stop abusing legal language like you are a prison convict.

Yes, the precise legal role of the cop is most equivalent to "street judge". That's what a cop is. He is first a witness who makes judgements as to who is and is no breaking the law. Later, that cops judgement may get confirmed or rejected by a courtroom judge. Often, though, the system merely enforces the cops judgement in regard to the situation via levying a fine or some other lighter penalty.

A cop does "play" executioner. That's why cops carry guns. Or did you forget? When a cop perceives a danger to themselves or others that will only be stopped with lethal force, then they are exactly executioners. Later, whether or not this use of lethal force was justified will be decided by a higher "street judge", which is usually the district attorney. If the DA decides that the cop needs to go before a courtroom judge o either validate or invalidate his srteet judge choice of lethal force, then that will occur. If the DA decides that the cop was justified, then it will not occur.

The Left seems to think that cops are civilians with the same legal standing. They absolutely are not and could not be if you wish to keep the legal system that keeps us from descending into anarchy.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Apples and oranges. You're underage drinking didn't hurt anyone else. Vandals NEED to be caught and arrested so that they can pay the victims for the damages to their property.
Nope, misdemeanor vandalism is not a crime that would indicate pursuit with guns drawn, it's a minor offense, the police don't run chase down shoplifters or someone who passes a bad check either.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Watch this: https://youtu.be/U7TBm-ma-A0
Then come back and correct me.
I had seen that before but I watched it again, I am not sure what I was supposed to see there that conflicts with anything I have said.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
This is perfect, as it overtly describes how the Left misunderstands the legal role of the police officer.

First, let's get this "due process" garbage out of the way. Yes, due process is essential (except when #metoo, amirite?). However, there is no "due process" until you peacefully surrender. When you are a danger to police officers and the community, you will be subdued by any means necessary. See my recent previous posts for discussions of the nuances of what happens when you choose to run from the police. Stop abusing legal language like you are a prison convict.

Yes, the precise legal role of the cop is most equivalent to "street judge". That's what a cop is. He is first a witness who makes judgements as to who is and is no breaking the law. Later, that cops judgement may get confirmed or rejected by a courtroom judge. Often, though, the system merely enforces the cops judgement in regard to the situation via levying a fine or some other lighter penalty.

A cop does "play" executioner. That's why cops carry guns. Or did you forget? When a cop perceives a danger to themselves or others that will only be stopped with lethal force, then they are exactly executioners. Later, whether or not this use of lethal force was justified will be decided by a higher "street judge", which is usually the district attorney. If the DA decides that the cop needs to go before a courtroom judge o either validate or invalidate his srteet judge choice of lethal force, then that will occur. If the DA decides that the cop was justified, then it will not occur.

The Left seems to think that cops are civilians with the same legal standing. They absolutely are not and could not be if you wish to keep the legal system that keeps us from descending into anarchy.
You're absolutely wrong, and I know that not from watching TV cop shows but from having worked in law enforcement for 27 years.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There is no entitlement for using lethal force unless it is in defense of the Officer's life or the life of another person.
I already rebutted this point precisely in my prior posts.

The criminal caused a situation wherein the cop had to make a judgement for lethal force. This situation was forced by the criminal's choices.

The criminal chose to occupy an area where his actions were continuously suspect but visually unclear. The cops shot him to guard their lives, based on an immediately required decision about his potentially immediate use of lethal force in a dark yard that he ran into. This was all due to the criminal's choices. Gun or no gun, the cops were in their rights to shoot because they perceived a threat to their lives. Because of the actions of the criminal. There is nothing more to argue.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
You're absolutely wrong, and I know that not from watching TV cop shows but from having worked in law enforcement for 27 years.
I'm absolutely correct.

Where was this ever described in a cop show?

Where is your rebuttal other than a plea to supposed authority?

I read nothing of substance.

If the deceased had drawn a weapon on the officer in that dark yard, it seems that you'd rather the officer get shot because he didn't have bright light verification of a gun then to shoot the offender after making a decision that he was drawing on the officer based on every other verifiable factor in the moment. All in the situation that the criminal created.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I already rebutted this point precisely in my prior posts.

The criminal caused a situation wherein the cop had to make a judgement for lethal force. This situation was forced by the criminal's choices.

The criminal chose to occupy an area where his actions were continuously suspect but visually unclear. The cops shot him to guard their lives, based on an immediately required decision about his potentially immediate use of lethal force in a dark yard that he ran into. This was all due to the criminal's choices. Gun or no gun, the cops were in their rights to shoot because they perceived a threat to their lives. Because of the actions of the criminal. There is nothing more to argue.
The "criminal" chose to occupy his grandmother's backyard... The officers had cover but chose to move out and directly confront Clark, they gave him a bizarre order "show me your hands" which could very well have caused him to extend his hands in front of him which made the rookies think he was going to shoot them. If they had an ounce of brains they would have told him to raise his hands

They probably won't face any criminal sanctions for what they did, cops are given wide latitude when it comes to killing people but my guess is that they won't have their jobs after the investigation is completed.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Nope, misdemeanor vandalism is not a crime that would indicate pursuit with guns drawn, it's a minor offense, the police don't run chase down shoplifters or someone who passes a bad check either.
That crime in itself does not warrant it, but the fleeing from police does and will most of the time solicit such response. Yes, I also was an LEO.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
The "criminal" chose to occupy his grandmother's backyard... The officers had cover but chose to move out and directly confront Clark, they gave him a bizarre order "show me your hands" which could very well have caused him to extend his hands in front of him which made the rookies think he was going to shoot them. If they had an ounce of brains they would have told him to raise his hands

They probably won't face any criminal sanctions for what they did, cops are given wide latitude when it comes to killing people but my guess is that they won't have their jobs after the investigation is completed.
I don't disagree with any of this. However, it doesn't make it a social justice issue.

Tragedy resulting from a failed procedure in a dangerous situation is statistically inevitable. Ultimately, individuals should not cause these situations and, if they choose to, they should be aware that there is a statistical incidence of the procedure failing that takes the situation from dangerous to controlled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies