Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 05:47 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
When he was standing in his grandmothers yard with his hands over his head, was he fleeing police?

Or do they get to shoot him once he stops.....just because?
Well to be fair. It's much easier to hit a standing target v.s a running target.
That said.
It's much easier to be shot by the police when you act like a lunatic and go around destroying private property.
Suicide by cop? At any rate, Darwin got a win, society is better off, and the cops who did the shooting need to be investigated by a Federal police agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 06:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well to be fair. It's much easier to hit a standing target v.s a running target.
That said.
It's much easier to be shot by the police when you act like a lunatic and go around destroying private property.
Suicide by cop? At any rate, Darwin got a win, society is better off, and the cops who did the shooting need to be investigated by a Federal police agency.

This is the second time I've read suicide by cop in this thread. No. You want a great suicide by cop? It happened 12 minutes up the street from me. Guy walked into the police station with a gun pointed at the cops and just kept walking toward them. In his pocket was a note he'd written apologizing to them for putting them in that situation.

All these examples of trigger happy cops (and there are many cases where I sided with the cops) were not instances where someone wanted to die and I see nothing in this case to suggest that's what it was.

Anyone who acted like he allegedly did, is off. Why did they expose themselves? No corner of a house to peer around as a means of protection?

Old 04-05-2018, 06:19 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,710 times
Quote:
I'm a moderate Democrat but I know bull ****e when I smell it, and this situation is utter b.s.

He was shot in the back. Were they afraid he was holding a gun backwards over his head ready to shoot?

Gimme a break. There's a reason they cut the audio. Stop and think.

As for the rest of your post - thank God we live in a country where the laws don't mean what you think they do and police aren't tasked with what you think they are. What a dope.
Watch this: https://youtu.be/U7TBm-ma-A0

I will even explain it for you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
The helicopter deputy says "He just broke a window" right before Stephon jumps over the fence into his grandmother's backyard.

The cops first encounter Stephon in the DRIVEWAY where Stephon is looking into the SUV and order him to show them his hands at which point Stephon runs to the back yard. They order him to STOP twice. The police pursue Stephon into the back yard. The helicopter deputy says that Stephon is running towards the field to the south (meaning they expect him to hop the fence again and continue south.) The officers then round the corner only to see that Stephon has turned back toward them (he's next to the picnic table at this point.) Due to the overhang and the helicopter's position, the helicopter deputy would have lost site of him after Stephon ran across the back yard (to the south.) The officers see Stephon facing them and they jump back behind cover of the corner.
And if you watch the helicopter video alone, you can clearly see that when the police started shooting Stephon was walking towards the officers. You can clearly see his leg take a step towards the police.

So... when the shooting started Stephon was FACING the police. He fell forward and to his left. His right side and back took most of the shots (they fired 20 rounds in 5 seconds).

Old 04-05-2018, 06:37 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Not who you were talking to, but....
That is a reasonable position and there is merit to it.
However, this guy, through his own actions, put the police in a tough position.
He chose to smash a house window. Police have to wonder if he is armed and dangerous and would break and enter a home. Police know he has done other acts of vandalism. Police know that he has refused their orders and ran. It is night and they can't see well. They don't know if he is armed and he has something in his hand. He was running one way, then doubled back at the cops - the cops will see this as confrontational as he is not following their orders.
What would be a good police policy in your mind? Don't shoot until fired upon, with a few exceptions?
I know his family was describing him as a great guy, but he did have a history of bad choices (or else he wouldn't have been in jail most likely) and he made a series of bad choices that night that put the cops in a tough position.
I do not agree that he 'doubled back on the cops' it's not like he charged at them, look at the helicopter video if you haven't.

A good policy in this situation would have been for the helicopter to give the suspect directions over the PA, if Sac PD helicopters don't do that they should, Sac Sheriff does it all the time.

The two cops in the backyard had cover, they could have waited for backup, or they could have stayed there and given better directions to Clark on what to do.

His criminal history has nothing to do with this, since the Officers had not identified him they had no idea that he even had a criminal history. People who break the law should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law but that does not mean that they deserve to be killed.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Watch this: https://youtu.be/U7TBm-ma-A0

I will even explain it for you:

And if you watch the helicopter video alone, you can clearly see that when the police started shooting Stephon was walking towards the officers. You can clearly see his leg take a step towards the police.

So... when the shooting started Stephon was FACING the police. He fell forward and to his left. His right side and back took most of the shots (they fired 20 rounds in 5 seconds).

The cops weren't exposed, as I had thought. They were peering around the house or garage.

Why shoot him at that point instead of telling him to drop whatever he was holding? They got to a position
where they could see him, they weren't exposed, and they shot him.

No wonder they cut the audio. They had to discuss it off the record.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
The cops weren't exposed, as I had thought. They were peering around the house or garage. Why shoot him at that point instead of telling him to drop whatever he was holding? They got to a position where they could see him, they weren't exposed, and they shot him.

No wonder they cut the audio. They had to discuss it off the record.
^ THIS is exactly the point I have been trying to make.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
^ THIS is exactly the point I have been trying to make.

Just like the trigger happy cop who shot Philando Castille that some are trying to justify. They don't understand the point because they don't want to understand. They enjoy this kind of thing, I think.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:15 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,710 times
I do not believe he was charging the police. I think he simply realized he was stuck in the back yard and turned back to the patio. Unfortunately, the police were not ready for that to happen.

In the video I posted, if you look at the police cam 2 at the 3:02 moment and freeze it, you can see Stephon at the other end of the picnic tables (just a dark figure against the back drop.) 3:08 is where he takes his last step towards the police (in the helicopter side of that video.) In 6 seconds, he had to navigate between the picnic tables and the side of the house. If he was charging/running he would have been much closer to the police. The 21 ft rule estimates that an average adult can close a 21 foot gap in 1.5 seconds. If Stephon had been charging the police, he would have been on the the police in those 6 seconds.

It is hard to tell what happened in those 6 seconds because the helicopter and police cams are obscured. He was definitely moving towards the police though.

21 Ft Rule: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

Old 04-05-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I do not believe he was charging the police. I think he simply realized he was stuck in the back yard and turned back to the patio. Unfortunately, the police were not ready for that to happen.

In the video I posted, if you look at the police cam 2 at the 3:02 moment and freeze it, you can see Stephon at the other end of the picnic tables (just a dark figure against the back drop.) 3:08 is where he takes his last step towards the police (in the helicopter side of that video.) In 6 seconds, he had to navigate between the picnic tables and the side of the house. If he was charging/running he would have been much closer to the police. The 21 ft rule estimates that an average adult can close a 21 foot gap in 1.5 seconds. If Stephon had been charging the police, he would have been on the the police in those 6 seconds.

It is hard to tell what happened in those 6 seconds because the helicopter and police cams are obscured. He was definitely moving towards the police though.

21 Ft Rule: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill
He didn't move far look where his body is. And why did the cops move out toward him, they had no reason to. They could have given him directions while they had cover what they did was just a pure rookie move.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:42 PM

35,058 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Are you intentionally being obtuse about this, jbg? The right to due process under the law.

The right to due process under the law.

Cops don't get to play judge, jury, and executioner no matter how many of you love seeing them in that role.
Sorry, the rights of the law-abiding citizenry trumps the rights of those that would destroy ordered society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Criminals acted like a criminal and died for it. No loss. Cops need to be investigated as vigorously as a civilian would be for the same shooting.
For doing his job? No. I say not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies