Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:55 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Yes, Assad using chemical weapons defies any, and all logic.

It simply isn't believable that Assad is the one launching these attacks.
He's won it. This doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't put it past the Islamists to be the instigators one bit. Just watch the ISIS videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 10:39 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,123,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I’d usually agree with you on a false-flag attack but from what I’ve seen there seems to be enough evidence to suggest Assad has done it (perhaps due to protection by the Russian Air Force).

Nonetheless this is not an excuse to start bombing Damascus to the ground and installing an Islamist government that allows US military bases and access to their oil fields.

Saudi Arabia has done worse and MbS walks around the US like a king.
Even if he did do it it's none of our business and not worth one American dollar to stop it.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:55 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Even if he did do it it's none of our business and not worth one American dollar to stop it.
Completely agree with you on that.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:59 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Simple solution. Let the UN handle it.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:28 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
Outrage, on some level, implies a degree of surprise or maybe shock. We seem to be beyond that stage. Nothing shocks us anymore over what Assad and Putin decide to do or their denials. Alleged lack of outrage does not imply acceptance.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:18 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Outrage, on some level, implies a degree of surprise or maybe shock. We seem to be beyond that stage. Nothing shocks us anymore over what Assad and Putin decide to do or their denials. Alleged lack of outrage does not imply acceptance.
Do you share the same disgust in the US and Saudi government over their destruction of hospitals and schools in Yemen that has caused the largest global humanitarian crisis?

I’m only asking for a sense of consistency, i in no way support what Assad has done.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:15 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Simple solution. Let the UN handle it.
Russia is on the security council, the UN is useless here. This is an international war crime, the community of civilized nations may have to do something. I agree that this is not worth risking our troops on the ground and I would not support any ground intervention. However air and missles strikes to destroy the chemical weapon stockpiles and/or destroy his Air Force may be necessary. The President should consult with the European powers and see what can be done and who is willing to act. I support that being done, this ongoing crime against humanity needs to be confronted. We can continue to use air power to prevent or punish further use of chemical weapons.

Russia is the other problem, like it or not we are looking at Cold War part 2. We need to demand Russia leave Syria, level maximum sanctions against them, move military assets to deal with thier threats (as we did in the Cold War) and if need be cut diplomatic relations with them. They invade thier neighbors, are primary agitators in this brutal Syrian war, poison people in the UK and of course they have interfered in our national elections, society and economy. Even Trump seems to have accepted that relations with Putin cannot be repaired. Time for the US and our NATO allies to start projecting strength again, that is the only way we will have peace. Weakness emboldens bullies, dictators and other evil powers. When the world (including Russia) fears us again then the boogie man will think twice before rearing his ugly head.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Russia is on the security council, the UN is useless here. This is an international war crime, the community of civilized nations may have to do something. I agree that this is not worth risking our troops on the ground and I would not support any ground intervention. However air and missles strikes to destroy the chemical weapon stockpiles and/or destroy his Air Force may be necessary. The President should consult with the European powers and see what can be done and who is willing to act. I support that being done, this ongoing crime against humanity needs to be confronted. We can continue to use air power to prevent or punish further use of chemical weapons.

Russia is the other problem, like it or not we are looking at Cold War part 2. We need to demand Russia leave Syria, level maximum sanctions against them, move military assets to deal with thier threats (as we did in the Cold War) and if need be cut diplomatic relations with them. They invade thier neighbors, are primary agitators in this brutal Syrian war, poison people in the UK and of course they have interfered in our national elections, society and economy. Even Trump seems to have accepted that relations with Putin cannot be repaired. Time for the US and our NATO allies to start projecting strength again, that is the only way we will have peace. Weakness emboldens bullies, dictators and other evil powers. When the world (including Russia) fears us again then the boogie man will think twice before rearing his ugly head.
So what makes this our responsibility to solve? What makes this a US tax payer bill to pay? Syria slaughtering Syrians seems to be a Syrian problem. We have our own problems that need to be solved. Ill say this. All the blood in Syria is not worth one drop of a US service person's blood. Syria is not worth us wasting 1 tax dollar.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:22 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
So what makes this our responsibility to solve? What makes this a US tax payer bill to pay? Syria slaughtering Syrians seems to be a Syrian problem. We have our own problems that need to be solved. Ill say this. All the blood in Syria is not worth one drop of a US service person's blood. Syria is not worth us wasting 1 tax dollar.
I do understand this sentiment and my gut tells me to feel this way too. However history tells me that the responsible democratic nations do need to sometimes act when extreme barbaric acts are taking place. Rwanda is an example of a situation where the world should have acted to prevent millions of deaths. Kosovo is an example where intervening did stop genocide. During WW2 some in the free western nations hungered for peace and isolation so much they allowed an evil dictatorship to matasticize and cause a terrible war. Isolation and weakness lead to war, lead to mass migrations of people and chaos. We should be very cautious about military intervention and should avoid it if we can, but when we can act in concert with other world powers to stop something like this then we should. This situation will cost the US taxpayers of course but we have proven that air power can be used with little risk to our airmen, shoot downs are rare.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:33 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
I will be interested to see if there is any correlation between any Trump decision to escalate or de-escalate our role in Syria and the amount of pressure put on his administration by the Mueller investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies