Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 07:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Manafort had three US passports and no one needs a passport to get into Prague from another Schengen country.

But wasn't Cohen supposed to be at his son's baseball game or some such event?
I don't remember the specifics
But frankly I trust Mueller vs Cohen...

Old 04-13-2018, 07:22 PM

And Trump has reported strikes on Syria--with UK and France--
So that will make him feel better I guess

Old 04-13-2018, 07:28 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
This is not a rumor, this is a news story. McClatchy is a publicly owned publishing company with about $1 Billion in revenues. This is not the National Inquirer. Don't get me wrong maybe they got this wrong but I don't think want to have egg on their face with something like this. This is a reputable news source.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/mcclatchydc/

McClatchy is also known for being arch-conservative.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
He has to be doing legal work, not just have a law degree. Apparently there is some question about that.

And there are several exclusions to attorney-client privilege - if anyone else was a party to the conversation, for example. Or if the conversation was in furtherance of a criminal activity, there is no privilege.

But no, the price of your house would not be privileged merely because an attorney negotiated the sale for you. If it's publicly reported, the way it is in most jurisdictions, the sale price will continue to be publicly reported regardless of who negotiated the numbers.

And yes, the sloppiness of what was done is becoming ridiculous. We are at the point where if this were a novel being submitted for publication, it would be rejected as being too unrealistic.
Ok
Will watch for future stories with more specifics
I imagine they will be forthcoming after the Monday hearing...

Michael Cohen's attorney called someone on MSNBC today about the Prague story--
She said that Cohen's attorney called her to say that story is definitively not true
So the saga continues

Old 04-13-2018, 07:30 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Nope, thats the GOP. (grin)

Speaking of which.....With Cohen on the finance chair of the RNC, is any of that protected at all? I can imagine some interesting stuff from that.
I'M a GOP!!!

But I'm still happy. Trump said he was going to drain the swamp, and while this is probably not what he envisioned, it IS happening.

Personally, I would love to see Trump be taken down... hard.

And after all the smoke disappears on the GOP ruins, I would like to see the same happen to the DNC.

Then, maybe, we have elections with some decent candidates.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-13-2018, 07:35 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I have said it before-the dossier is not meant to be 100% accurate. Its supposed to be reasonably accurate, but runs risks of having some parts not be true. If you listen to Trump supporters you'd think that one thing being untrue proves it all wrong. If you listen to Trump detractors then one fact proves it all true. I'd suggest looking at it as more of a guide to finding the truth, not a 100% accurate and factual text.
The "dossier" was a series of memos produced over several months recounting what Russians were saying about Trump. Steele was the top Russian expert during his tenure with MI6, and he knew a lot of Russians working in various capacities. Some were people he had done business with over a period of years and trusted. His job was to report the scuttlebutt that may not have made the news.

The actual memos are a mixture of fact, rumor, and gossip. They were never intended to be 100% factual, and at any rate, Steele had no way to verify everything that came his way. That was the job of the people paying for the report. As with any intelligence, it is offered with varying levels of confidence in how true it is. Some of it is undoubtedly untrue.

Steele contacted the FBI because of information he received that Putin might be blackmailing Trump. The FBI invited him in after an initial telephone contact because they already had some of the information Steele had picked up from a different source. They later sent an agent to meet with him to get the rest of the memos and his input. The FBI is the organization that has verified anything that has been verified.

Last edited by cuebald; 04-13-2018 at 08:10 PM..

Old 04-13-2018, 07:36 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Ok
Will watch for future stories with more specifics
I imagine they will be forthcoming after the Monday hearing...

Michael Cohen's attorney called someone on MSNBC today about the Prague story--
She said that Cohen's attorney called her to say that story is definitively not true

So the saga continues
That report is suspect, the timing of the report couldn't be more suspect.

I highly doubt the story is true, but we'll see.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:06 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.6d3467a36442

Washington Post is reporting that the US Attorney has been instigating Cohen for months completely independently of Mueller's investigation mostly for crimes unrelated to his role as an attorney. The more I learn about Cohen, the more I am convinced he is looking at some significant criminal liability.

Quote:
The government’s motion also reveals that prosecutors examined a safe-deposit box used by Cohen — carrying out the searches in part because they feared evidence might be destroyed if they had simply served him with a subpoena. Officials redacted a section in the document explaining why they thought they could not trust Cohen to turn over records willingly.The filing, signed by acting U.S. Attorney Robert Khuzami in the Southern District of New York, also says that while the current investigation was referred by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, the New York investigation “has proceeded independent” of Mueller’s work.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:07 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,036,041 times
Mueller should check with Jake Tapper at CNN, who was able to establish in January, 2017, that the Michael Cohen known to have visited Prague during the period in question is in fact NOT one and the same as Michael Cohen who serves as Trump's attorney. It was a different person altogether who shares the same name.

Imagine that. There could be more than one person named Michael Cohen in the world. You gotta wonder why that possibility never occurred to Mueller or anyone in his group of tax grabbers.

If this is representative of the quality of "investigation" we're getting from Robert Mueller and his flunkies, one could fairly say that we're getting royally ripped off as taxpayers by this Mueller charlatan. He's chasing a factual error that CNN corrected in January, 2017, and CNN didn't ask for the taxpayer to finance their research, either.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/statu...287681?lang=en

Old 04-13-2018, 08:11 PM

Needless to say courts are closed on weekend
And Syrian air strike just happened
So this likely will go on back burner for while
Score one Trump...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies