Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 03:47 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,838,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Yes, if you were blessed with success that might be true, but most of us had to work for it.

Gratitude might be more appropriate for people "blessed" with free soda, healthcare and housing. Not to mention their kids education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Did an illegal alien take my job? I should go back to school?

Pretty funny assumptions there! I was an Electrical Engineer, but I don't have a job to loose. We're financially independent, retired in our mid/early 40's. But hey, thanks for the advise!

BTW water comes from a freaking faucet. "Poor" people drinking bottled water on the taxpayers dime

Who knew electrical engineering paid that well. I definitely chose the wrong major.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
There are a great many people in dc that need to be fired some of them jailed
Unfortunately it is the hated policeman that so often is thrown under the bus and not the criminal
We have become a theatre full of movie goers that cheer the villain and boo the hero

Old 04-11-2018, 03:52 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,380,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
There are simple fixes that can be made to food stamp programs that will curb abuse. Eliminate the ability to use them to buy soda, candy, chips, ice cream, and other non essential junk food. Make it similar to WIC so they can only use it for important nutrient rich essential products (meat, cheese, milk, vegetables, fruits, whole grains)... You know, ingredients that focus on making healthy meals.
Are you really concerned about the nutritional habits and the health of poor people, or do you just want to cut off food assistance to them? Poor kids should be able to have a soda every once in a while too. They shouldn't be treated like subhumans.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 04-11-2018 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 03:54 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,838,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Are you really concerned about the nutritional habits of poor people, or do you just want to cut off food assistance to them? Poor kids should be able to have a soda every once in a while too. They shouldn't be treated like subhuman.
Next they'll want to cut cake too, especially if its a birthday cake. Poor people should not have any pleasures at all and should sulk in the corner all day.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:55 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,380,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Oh, I forgot the Dems are the party of compassion and tolerance -- unless you disagree with them. Then they will beat the snot out of you and try to destroy your career and family. Got it!
I don't get where you are coming from. People who advocate for a safety nut are violent sorts?

Old 04-11-2018, 03:56 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,836,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Most people who get food stamps are children, disabled, or over 60. Most who are able-bodied adults word and only a very small percentage get cash welfare benefits. Food stamps are a supplement, not the full amount that a family spends on food. https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...13-Summary.pdf

I have no problem limiting food stamps to healthy foods in theory, but I think actually doing that without having long lists of rules and exclusions would be too burdensome. Between allergies and special diets, what’s healthy for one person might kill another. Saying no soda or cakes from the bakery seems reasonable. People can just use their own money for those items and use the food stamps for other foods.

The amount that the average working household contributes to welfare is extremely low. Around $36 per year on a $50,000 income. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.des...m/amp/84917512 Of all the things to worry and complain about when it comes to taxes, this really seems negligible. I’d happily pay the $36 for a few of the biggest crybabies.
People earning $50K pay SFA in tax. Not even close to their fair share.

Some of us pay millions in tax. I think you'd need a little more than $36 to cover our contribution to welfare. Hell, we paid $200,000 in Obamacare tax alone this year.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-welfare-prog/

Great news...time to trim some fat.

"Despite the strong economy, administration officials said enrollment in welfare programs remains high. The White House said in 2016, more than 16 million “able-bodied adults” were enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps."
Let's trim some fat. Once he turns 50 - Paul Ryan can expect to receive a lifetime salary courtesy of YOU and ME.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:01 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
I guess you have enough time and money to waste whining about whatever you want then, if you’re really raking in millions as a retired electrical engineer (??). Most people who cry over the welfare system probably pay very little in taxes. Some of them even get food stamps themselves or they make just over the maximum allowed. There’s even a recent thread about how angry a guy is about making too much to qualify for food stamps. It’s veey likely that someone making just over the limit is getting back more than they paid in in the first place, which makes their crying even more humorous.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:02 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,836,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Who knew electrical engineering paid that well. I definitely chose the wrong major.
It doesn't, but RSU's and stock options sure do. Especially when the IPO goes well.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:04 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
How about going after White Collar crime, which amounts to tons more money of "waste" than any combined Welfare recipient fraud? Look at the lavish trips his "Drain the Swamp" colleagues are taking and getting recently dinged for? The 50 K dining room table that Ben Carson bought? Oh, give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies