Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 05:01 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
President Trump orders top-to-bottom review of welfare programs

EVERY gov't program should be included.
That’ll never happen. This is America, where only the powerless get screwed out of their goodies.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:03 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Yes, if you were blessed with success that might be true, but most of us had to work for it.

Gratitude might be more appropriate for people "blessed" with free soda, healthcare and housing. Not to mention their kids education.
Maybe not. Mom and I had to work for the food stamps (when we had food stamps) healthcare and subsidized housing. There is no such thing as a free lunch. You have to be on a long waiting list for the housing program and they are still not going to pay all of it for you..just a portion and you have to maintain a good living environment when they check up on you.
Food stamps and healthcare are less work but you still have to sign paperwork and prove that your income is low enough. I was also in a job seeking program at the time for the food stamps and I hated that because I knew it would imagine to a whole lot of nothing. I got up early that morning to fill a quota that was all. They didn't care about securing me a job. I remember saying to them "how is any of this going to help? I did all this crap in the past" They shrugged it off basically saying just to do it and they're not worried if I don't land a job. Yes they actually admitted that!
This doesn't even include the fact that if you are on Section 8, you can't own a house..only if you are first time buyer. They will not pay for your mortgage otherwise. I like my complex but living in an apartment has enough drawbacks. It's even worse now since Trump became president because they no longer took my mom's weird hours into consideration. It was always bad though because if they had it their way I would be walking to work. They don't consider a car a necessity. Meanwhile they probably take lavish vacations a few times a year and probably already have their car payed off (government employees have benefits) I shudder to think what would happen if I ever drove and got my own car. Then I've got two cars to pay for. That's literally all I'm doing with my money right now is trying to pay off the debt.

This is excluding the fact that it's just not a good life to have. A blessed life..at least to me is working in a job you want and being able to easily pay for things yourself. Free healthcare is nothing. It won't pay for trips to the Vitamin Shoppe or GNC. The majority of people seem to be fine with it but they shouldn't be in some cases. I only go when I really have to. I'm done going to the doctor because all they ever want to do is put me on pharmaceutical toxins. Thank god I have been more proactive with being an advocate for my own health because if I had listened to them I would end up with worse feet and no sense of smell for example.

I'm afraid to get a better job too because if I make one dollar too many they are likely to cut it all off and then I'd be more in the hole. As they said they do not operate dollar for dollar so they're trying to help encourage me to stay in a job I never wanted.

I wasn't blessed when I didn't have a job and I'm not blessed now. Both situations suck albeit in different ways.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I agree with you in theory.

However soda is CHEAP, and I wonder if that's why it is the number one item.

Two liters can be had for less than a dollar.

If a case of 24 goes on sale for $5.00, that is roughly 20 cents a can.

Think about that in terms of packing a lunch.

I buy my son bottled juice which is about .67 each, or chocolate milk, which is over $1.00 each.

Soda is definitely not healthy (especially the diet kind) but it is cheap.
There is a dental condition called Mountain Dew mouth. This tends to happen when infants/ tots are given Mountain Dew in the baby bottle. It’s most common in Appalachia.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:04 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
There are simple fixes that can be made to food stamp programs that will curb abuse. Eliminate the ability to use them to buy soda, candy, chips, ice cream, and other non essential junk food. Make it similar to WIC so they can only use it for important nutrient rich essential products (meat, cheese, milk, vegetables, fruits, whole grains)... You know, ingredients that focus on making healthy meals.
How is Trump going to order food-supplement programs to require only nutritious food to be purchased by recipients, when he subsists entirely on unhealthy junk food?

Old 04-11-2018, 05:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
That's true but are you going to put that in a school lunch or to the park for a big cook out?
School - age children from families receiving SNAP benefits automatically qualify for free lunch at school. In some schools, this includes breakfast and an early dinner. There are Summer programs to feed children, too.

Lastly, there are 501c 3 orgs that supply kids with mi rowavabke Mac and cheese to tide them over the weekend.

The family’s SNAP benefits are not reduced despite the children eating one or more meals at school and receiving weekend care packages.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:15 PM

1,704 posts, read 749,919 times
Quote:
Did you read the article?

There is no agenda to "exclude the needs of the impoverished".

There is a goal to help people find work and create social structures that help eliminate extended dependence on welfare.

"Give a man a fish" vs. "teach a man to fish"....
No!

That's merely the pretense of an introduction!
The actual agenda is to gut all governmental programs in order to cover for the tax cuts given to the wealthy...

It's actually nothing new!

If you really wanted to teach one to fish, you'd grant free educational tuition to those who cannot afford it.

That would increase self-esteem and independence amongst those who previously had none....

Old 04-11-2018, 05:17 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Who or what blessed me?
Most people could work themselves nearly to death for their entire lives every single day, and still never make even a fraction of the kind of income that would pay $1M+ in income taxes.

That level of income takes extraordinary luck as well.

I don't know who or what blessed you. Random chance by the universe? God? Reincarnation?

Whether you believe it or not, luck is a huge factor of where we end up in life.

Hard work and common sense decision-making are necessary factors too, but without an unusually high amount of luck, it only guarantees at best a middle class existence.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:17 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,402,596 times
Let's start with the obvious. This executive order was red meat for his base. The link was to the Washington Times, a very conservative publication. Whenever, a conservative needs to rally the base Welfare reform is the rallying cry. Not that the programs do not have issues, but the timing itself is suspicious as Trump is under siege from all sides. His base is losing confidence in him and needs something for them to rally behind.

As Trump's position continue to deteriorate, look to Trump to throw ever more red meat to his base. That means more divide and conquer strategy, anything to keep his power. Desperation is what is driving Trump now.

Last edited by TreeBeard; 04-11-2018 at 05:31 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 05:18 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Cheese has been included to help the dairy farmers stay in business.

I wish Trump would order the same kind of study of Pentagon and military spending.
There is supposed to be an ongoing audit at the Pentagon. What happened to that? Did they run out of money to pay auditors?

Old 04-11-2018, 05:21 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
No!

That's merely the pretense of an introduction!
The actual agenda is to gut all governmental programs in order to cover for the tax cuts given to the wealthy...

It's actually nothing new!

If you really wanted to teach one to fish, you'd grant free educational tuition to those who cannot afford it.

That would increase self-esteem and independence amongst those who previously had none....

On the job training would be nice too. I learned from one of my coworkers that to become a manager all the training was online. No one is there to help you learn it. Thank god I have no desire to become one but that is terrible.
Or maybe more legitimate recruiters or helpful job coaches. In today's world they want you to have so much experience out the gate and there are so many of these listings to navigate through.
I think a lot of us need better help to secure good jobs. It is a nightmare out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies