Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 05:48 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Right. Because $7.25/hour buys a decent standard of living in 2018 $7.25 is barely enough to buy a fast food meal nowadays.
Then they should live in a tent somewhere.

Seriously, that's how these people think.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:57 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
if i ran for office i'd absolutely do the work required to have a comprehensive agenda.

but i haven't, trump did. your post is deflection and an attempt to avoid holding trump accountable for the position he sought.
But, you think juvenile, snarky insults is the way to accomplisj=j tongs.

"great.

"i just question the president's ability to make an intelligent decision once the information comes in"

I DOUBT if you know ANY of the "intelligent decisions" he HS made during his time as Preident becuae of youe pen bias.afainst him.

I'd bet you get all your "news" from the alphabet "news" stations.

ABC, NBC and CBS reporting was over 90% NEGATIVE toward Trump.

The newspapers CONSTANTLY, after being found out their stories are FALSE( I would say outright LIES" have had to do so may retraction and fire people and come on national TV vand APOLOGE saying. "We have an obligation to be RIGHT NOT always FIRST with our reporting"

It is no wonder so many don't think he has done anything good and can't make "intelligent decisions".

The media has, and has had for a LONG time, a LOWER approval RATING THEN EVEN Congress and that is pretty low.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Are they gonna start at the Pentagon?
Through Sequester the DoD has ALREADY taken BIG hits in it's budget.

I thought you KNEW EVERYTHING.

I guess NOT!

Old 04-12-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Cheese has been included to help the dairy farmers stay in business.

I wish Trump would order the same kind of study of Pentagon and military spending.
"Cheese has been included to help the dairy farmers stay in business."

And who is one of the biggest dairy states" NY.

You don't think ole' chucky shumer is going to do anything to them, do you?

Old 04-12-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And he keeps on throwing MORE $$$ at an already bloated military budget with NO mention of trying to curtail those costs. Just another clueless pawn of the MIC. And Lil' DonnyBoy certainly never shied away from taking tax breaks from NYC, heaven forbid his own brand of welfare should be cut.
"]And he keeps on throwing MORE $$$ at an already bloated military budget"

Prove it. Give us the DoD budgets since the Sequester took affect.

P.S. I DO believe there is waste, fraud and abuse in EVERY fed go'vt program including the DoD.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:09 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
There are simple fixes that can be made to food stamp programs that will curb abuse. Eliminate the ability to use them to buy soda, candy, chips, ice cream, and other non essential junk food. Make it similar to WIC so they can only use it for important nutrient rich essential products (meat, cheese, milk, vegetables, fruits, whole grains)... You know, ingredients that focus on making healthy meals.
Eliminate double- and triple-dipping into public assistance food programs for the same daily meals.

The USDA OIG actually identified that problem, at the same time that the USDA admits that those who receive Food Stamps have a significantly higher obesity rate than those who don't. Even among the low-income.

The obesity rates of the poor on food stamps compared to the poor who aren't on food stamps, and compared to the rest of the population:

Income-eligible children on food stamps: 24%
Income-eligible children NOT on food stamps: 20%
Non-poor children who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 13%

Kids who get Food Stamps (and free school meals, and who knows how many additional Nutrition Service benefits) have an 85% higher obesity rate than kids who don't qualify for those benefits.

Income-eligible adults on food stamps: 44% obese
Income-eligible adults NOT on food stamps: 33% obese
Non-poor adults who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 32% obese

Adults who get Food Stamps (and who knows how many additional Nutrition Service benefits) have a 38% higher obesity rate than adults who don't qualify for those benefits.

Do the math, and recognize that this is a SIGNIFICANT problem.

Exhibit 5, here:
http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...-SNAP07-10.pdf

It certainly does appear that the children of poor and low-income families who receive free school breakfast, lunch, etc., program meals, regardless of whether they get food stamps, are being overfed.

Additionally, the USDA OIG (Office of the Inspector General) has found that a full 59% of families on Food Stamps also double-dip and triple-dip, or more, free food benefits from major Federal means-tested free food programs for the exact same daily meals:

Overlap and Duplication in Food and Nutrition Service's Nutrition Programs - USDA OIG
http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/27001-0001-10.pdf

Let that sink in... A full 59% of families on Food Stamps also double-dip and triple-dip, or more, free food benefits from major Federal means-tested free food programs for the exact same daily meals.

Are we really doing the poor any favors by causing their obesity by letting them double-dip and sometimes even triple-dip or more government free food program benefits, thereby enabling their overeating and ruining their health? They are disproportionately obese, and cost us a lot more tax money to pay for their obesity-related health problems, such as heart disease and diabetes.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:13 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
There are simple fixes that can be made to food stamp programs that will curb abuse. Eliminate the ability to use them to buy soda, candy, chips, ice cream, and other non essential junk food. Make it similar to WIC so they can only use it for important nutrient rich essential products (meat, cheese, milk, vegetables, fruits, whole grains)... You know, ingredients that focus on making healthy meals.
This is hilariously stupid. SNAP person buys soda and junk and they get criticized for wasting their benefits on food with low nutritional value. SNAP person buys lobster and steak and they get criticized for using their benefits on things that have too high cost.

Damned if u do

Damned if u don't

Old 04-12-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Most people who get food stamps are children, disabled, or over 60. Most who are able-bodied adults word and only a very small percentage get cash welfare benefits. Food stamps are a supplement, not the full amount that a family spends on food. https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...13-Summary.pdf

I have no problem limiting food stamps to healthy foods in theory, but I think actually doing that without having long lists of rules and exclusions would be too burdensome. Between allergies and special diets, what’s healthy for one person might kill another. Saying no soda or cakes from the bakery seems reasonable. People can just use their own money for those items and use the food stamps for other foods.

The amount that the average working household contributes to welfare is extremely low. Around $36 per year on a $50,000 income. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.des...m/amp/84917512 Of all the things to worry and complain about when it comes to taxes, this really seems negligible. I’d happily pay the $36 for a few of the biggest crybabies.

"Most who are able-bodied adults word and only a very small percentage get cash welfare benefits.
When was the last time ou were in a gov't housing project or section 8 house?"

I WORKED in those places and can tell you stories you would,'t believe about the WASTE FRAUD AND ABUSE OF programs.

I don't think you know what you are taking about.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:17 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I HOPE Trump and other neocons are successful in doing exactly what they want in this country. Maybe people will wake up.

But probably not. They'll blame someone else. As usual.
Exactly. That's why we have SO many on public assistance.

"Gee... I'm in poverty... Time to have 3 or 4 kids that I can't afford to support or raise. It'll be someone else's fault. THEY'LL have to pay to support me and my kids."

Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. That's why we have SO many on public assistance.

"Gee... I'm in poverty... Time to have 3 or 4 kids that I can't afford to support or raise. It'll be someone else's fault. THEY'LL have to pay to support me and my kids."
Yeah sure. That's it. That's the story.

I honestly don't care what any neocons say about this topic. You will not change my mind nor will I change yours.

There was a time I engaged on these welfare threads because I felt people who were against welfare were just uninformed or maybe never knew someone on assistance.

Then I found out the truth: at the root of all of this talk is greed. Can't change that. That's kind of an inborn thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies