Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 09:01 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You are pretty naive if you don't understand they are enriching themselves due to their relationships and access to power far more than the normal type of welfare recipients Trump is trying to squeeze out of their benefits...
Ask yourself why Kushners are able at this stage to buy Vornado out of the 666's debt burden--
The loans that came their way after Jared's meetings with those two banks...
Maybe some money from the Saudis for engineering the Qatar trouble...
Icahn got free lobbying for LNG out of Pruitt on the Morocco trip--against to hurt Qatar's production...
And there are way more than I have read about in the news...
I am not naive and I understand how they are undoubtedly benefitting from government contracts. Maybe you could not be quite so condescending in your posts?

Anyway, this is no doubt similar to how Chelsea Clinton has benefitted from The Clinton Foundation. Oh and remember her absurd salary at NBC for her two weeks worth of work? Meanwhile, I doubt the Obama daughters will ever have to work a day in their lives.

But your post made it sound like Trump's kids collect salaries, and they do not.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:11 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,628,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I agree with all of this, I might have written much the same myself.

However, the real goal is to dump and abandon people in need.
Dump and abandon people who need junk food? Just as well, they probably didn't vote for Trump anyway..

Old 04-11-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
No--their philosophy is really a modernized version of the original Puritan ethic of predestination--
According to the Puritans--God rewarded those who were "right" with Him by giving them wealth and political power, and success from birth--they were chosen...

Those God didn't find "right" were ones who had poor crops, injury/illness, lost their farms/businesses---

Didn't matter if the "losers" were first in the door on Sunday---God knew they were not "right" or chosen...
And the ones who were successful worked even harder at being religious to keep in God's good graces...
They believed in the "real world" evidence of God's influence...that was their reward on Earth for being predestined for Heaven...

It is reverse engineering sort of
There was no evidence to believe it was true or accurate because how can you PROVE anything about God and his role in a person's success or failure but that was their religious philosophy and it lasted for a long time--both in Europe and in America...and justified a lot of bad behavior in the name of God's wishes...

Nowadays people might not believe so much in religious orthodoxy but they certainly believe in the us/them dichotomy of success...
You have completely wandered off the reservation, not to mention the topic, with this post. Wow.

ETA: also there is much incorrect "information" in your post, starting with the idea that predestination was originally (?) a Puritanical construct (if that is what you are saying).

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 04-11-2018 at 09:55 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There is a dental condition called Mountain Dew mouth. This tends to happen when infants/ tots are given Mountain Dew in the baby bottle. It’s most common in Appalachia.
That is really sad.

And do you think banning the purchase of soda will solve this problem? Or is you think lack of education, lack
of health services, etc. equally contribute?

Old 04-11-2018, 09:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You have completely wandered off the reservation, not to mention the topic, with this post. Wow.

ETA: also there is much incorrect "information" in your post, starting with the idea that predestination was a Puritanical construct.
It was an integral part of Calvinism and Puritans embraced that philosophy I'm not sure how you can deny that. Puritanism and Predestination, Divining America, TeacherServe®, National Humanities Center

Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It was an integral part of Calvinism and Puritans embraced that philosophy I'm not sure how you can deny that. Puritanism and Predestination, Divining America, TeacherServe®, National Humanities Center
Sorry, meant to say "originally a Puritanical construct."

Old 04-11-2018, 10:03 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Actually what they want is for all those people to just evaporate--
If that was the case, they'd want all kinds of birth control readily available and free to poorer communities everywhere rather than betting on them "just not having sex" or relying on cheap condoms from the gas station.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,043 times
Hopefully he eliminates them all, top-to-bottom.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If that was the case, they'd want all kinds of birth control readily available and free to poorer communities everywhere rather than betting on them "just not having sex" or relying on cheap condoms from the gas station.
No--they really don't want women to have control over their bodies and they know that in some strata they wouldn't use free birth control ---
They might consider mass sterilization---but I guess they know there are too many liberal judges to get away with that at this point in time---maybe in 10 yrs or so---
And they don't want to wait for them just to die out from old age like the Shakers did...
They really just want them to evaporate--to be gone--to just vanish like people taken in the Rapture
That way they can just ignore they were ever here and the GOP resisted policies that would have ameliorated their distress...

Old 04-12-2018, 12:54 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I am not naive and I understand how they are undoubtedly benefitting from government contracts. Maybe you could not be quite so condescending in your posts?

Anyway, this is no doubt similar to how Chelsea Clinton has benefitted from The Clinton Foundation. Oh and remember her absurd salary at NBC for her two weeks worth of work? Meanwhile, I doubt the Obama daughters will ever have to work a day in their lives.

But your post made it sound like Trump's kids collect salaries, and they do not.
The Clinton Foundation is not paid for with TAXPAYER money..
Get off the Clintons--they aren't the topic of the thread---
Any comment directed in their regard is just diffusion away from Trump's agenda

NBC is a private company---it can pay its employees what it likes--there is no rule about paying someone TOO much as I am sure anyone familar with Steve Wynn's salary or Jaime Dimon's might understand...

And we couldn't pay the Trump kids enough to match what they are raking in off the books so to speak...
Not to mention the win-win from having the estate tax wiped off the books by Dad's friends in Congress recently...
And yes, Chelsea and the Bush twins, and the Obama daughters all benefitted from that windfall since their parents' assets are well within the upper 1% status...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies