Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 07:28 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,896,872 times

Advertisements

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...d-philadelphia

Apparently these 2 black men were just hanging out at Starbucks waiting for a friend before ordering anything. The report said that the store was called the cops because they didn't buy anything.

I've literally seen this happen all the time. I've done this myself several times. I've waited for a friend for 30 mins on a Saturday before ordering anything. If it was super crowded, I would probably get up and order something just so I wouldn't look like I'm taking up a seat, but this story doesn't mention anything about that being the reason. Also, why were there 3 cops called for something like this???

Just seems like a huge overreaction. They seemed like they were just minding there own business like everyone else does at Starbucks.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:35 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,404,678 times
Yawn. So what? 99% of the time there are details that these stories leave out to craft a victim story. And people get arrested constantly in Philly, most for legit reasons. Not falling for it every time a black guy gets arrested. Every detail and the fallout or its not a story.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:37 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,000,292 times
Yawn ^^^^^ seems like their story of waiting for a friend became the one dimensional reason to write the stupid article. Buy something or get out .

Old 04-14-2018, 07:47 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,876,906 times
I'm not buying it either. All Philly eating establishments are used to customers of all races, so there had to be something more to this story that is being omitted. They had to do something to put the workers on high alert and for the cops to react.

Waiting to have a business meeting, huh ?

Old 04-14-2018, 07:49 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,994,565 times
If you enter a business and do not buy anything, you are loitering, and may be asked to leave.
If you refuse to leave when requested to do so, you just might be charged with trespassing and the police will be called.
If you use the rest room without buying anything, and the business states that the restrooms are for customer use only, you could be charged with "Theft of Services" and the police will be called.
Either way, you could be (probably will be) arrested.
All these two guys had to do was buy a cup of coffee each, and maybe a cookie. Then they could have sat there all day waiting for their business associate.
Of course, that would not have given them their "15 Minutes Of Fame".
Oh, right, that is unkind, they probably were not looking for "fame".
or were they?

Old 04-14-2018, 07:50 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,964,875 times
Another race-bait story to add to the heap.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:50 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,065,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Yawn ^^^^^ seems like their story of waiting for a friend became the one dimensional reason to write the stupid article. Buy something or get out .
Have you ever been in a Starbucks? Half the time you sit and wait before your friend gets there....I've never been asked to leave while I'm waiting ...or even if I don't buy anything...

I'm an old naturally blonde white chick though....I guess I wasn't a threat.

Oh and -- someone can buy the cheapest thing on the menu -- sit at the biggest table and hold a conference meeting with six other people -- and they won't chuck you out.......lol

Yeah y'all have never ever been in a Starbucks.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:55 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,404,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Have you ever been in a Starbucks? Half the time you sit and wait before your friend gets there....I've never been asked to leave while I'm waiting ...or even if I don't buy anything...

I'm an old naturally blonde white chick though....I guess I wasn't a threat.

Oh and -- someone can buy the cheapest thing on the menu -- sit at the biggest table and hold a conference meeting with six other people -- and they won't chuck you out.......lol

Yeah y'all have never ever been in a Starbucks.
But I live in Philly. Trust me. This is a non-story unless and until more details are given.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:02 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,601,402 times
I watched the video, but the sound quality wasn't great, so I am sure I didn't catch everything. Unless there is more to the story, the response does seem excessive. On the other hand, is it possible that the whole episode could have been avoided if the men had simply told someone at the counter that they were waiting for a friend, and would be ordering when he arrived? I haven't worked at a Starbucks, but I have worked at other food service establishments, and yeah, when people come in and sit for 30 minutes without ordering anything, you do start to wonder why they are there. Then again, a simple "can I get you anything" often answers that question.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:04 PM

408 posts, read 215,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
But I live in Philly. Trust me. This is a non-story unless and until more details are given.
Top Cop Ross said once the employees said "trespassing" the cops were duty bound to remove them. When they refused a lawful order from the police to leave, that's when the bracelets went on.

Of course hug-a-thug Kenny wants to investigate Starbucks policies.

Former Philly resident here . . . Moved in 2015 from Mayfair to Upper Bucks County.

Best thing I ever did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies