Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 02:45 PM

39,867 posts, read 26,492,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Oklahoma?

I sincerely hope they’re happy there.

Not for me
Everybody has their preferences. California has horrid traffic, smog and deserts. Lots of people seem to like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 03:14 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The guy said he got the idea to move to Oklahoma from an article about moving to Oklahoma for retirement. I've never heard of Oklahoma being a retirement mecca, but it probably beats moving there hoping to find a decent job.

The Fox clip didn't say what his employment plans are, but hope he has something lined up as the employment situation in Oklahoma is not great.

There is a thread on this, so those who are interested could go there for details, but as I recall the tax base is declining as companies like Seimens relocate to other states.

The state's financial situation is not good. Cuts to school funding resulted 4 day school weeks in a number of districts.

Perhaps they are planning on homeschooling. Many in Oklahoma do this as public schools have never been more than marginal. Teacher salaries have always been near the bottom.

I've lived in Oklahoma and I wouldn't go back if you paid me. It has the worst weather of any place I've ever lived in my entire life

The only time the wind stop is when the temperature reaches 100 degrees.

In the winter, the wind whips across the prairie land and doesn't slow down no matter how cold it gets. Got in the -20s when we lived there. Ice storms that snap power lines are not an uncommon occurrence.

Then there are the tornadoes. In 2010, there were 90 tornadoes in May alone. Our neighbor's barn was destroyed one year. The following year it was their house.

Now, there are "clusters of earthquakes." Apparently, due to fracking.

There is a reason this couple was able to buy 10 acres for such a low price.
While true, Oklahoma is a bad state to live in, that California family did select one of the not so bad places. There is no talk of going to a 4 day school week there. The school district is well supported with work just begun on replacing a third old elementary with a sprawling new one. Oklahoma Legislature recently passed higher pay for teachers, but remains to be seen if opposition to the higher taxes required will be able to thwart it on the ballot in November. But much work remains to better support education.

If the family wants to visit California or go elsewhere out of state, they are only a few miles from an airport with free parking that offers jet passenger service to Dallas, but to Dallas only. If they want to visit a much bigger city in Oklahoma, they are just off from access to the turnpike to Tulsa, an hour's drive away. Oklahoma City is also an hour away.

Outside of the Oklahoma City and Tulsa areas there are really few not so bad places to live, unless one has low expectations. Most towns outside of the two big metros have been declining or at best stagnant.

When the weather is normal or average in Oklahoma, it's not all that terrible to endure. But too often the weather wants to venture to very unpleasant extremes. Several years ago, drought and day after day of highs in 100s all summer long was an extreme no permanent resident had lived through before. But, heck, Texas got it even worse. It's also rare for lows to drop below zero. But then sometimes the extremes strangely enough go off in the opposite direction. This year, Oklahoma has never in recorded history gone so long into a year without a tornado happening. At least the bad, often changeable weather makes Oklahoma a great place to study to become a meteorologist at OU.

True, how the employment situation isn't great in Oklahoma and is well reflected as such when you go into a fast food joint and see some of the workers there sure don't look high school or college age. The minimum wage is still $7.25.

To explain why Oklahoma might be a good retirement place, it does not tax Social Security. Also there is no estate or inheritance tax. Health care specialties are mostly limited to Oklahoma City and Tulsa, so people with serious ailments shouldn't locate too far from there.

Frequency of earthquakes have been on the decline in Oklahoma. But the California family picked fairly near some hot spots that still act up from time to time.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-29-2018 at 03:29 PM..

Old 04-29-2018, 03:40 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Last time I looked, differential in taxes paid vs take home pay has very much to do with COL when comparing different places to live.
NOTHING compares to the cost of housing in CA. That is the biggest reason people leave. Not being able to deduct taxes may factor in for a few people but by and large it's the astronomical cost of buying a home that causes people to leave.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:46 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Most Democrats aren't liberal, but they still vote for Democrats.

Democratic voters increasingly embrace the ‘liberal’ label
When there are only two real parties to chose from one has to pick the issues that are most important. I don't agree with the democratic party when it comes to gun control or immigration but there are other issues that mean more to me. I'd imagine many Republicans don't agree with some tenents of the party but have to make a choice based n what matters most to them.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:04 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
California has horrid traffic, smog and deserts.
California mainly has horrid traffic in the metro areas of large cities. Same traffic issue for many other large cities in other states. So really, the traffic is related to big cities, rather than entire states.

For example, traffic is bad in the metro Atlanta, GA area but not in other parts of Georgia. Atlanta has some bad smog pollution days in the summer too.

https://www.underthegeorgiasun.com/2...getting-worse/

Old 04-29-2018, 06:39 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
California mainly has horrid traffic in the metro areas of large cities. Same traffic issue for many other large cities in other states. So really, the traffic is related to big cities, rather than entire states.

For example, traffic is bad in the metro Atlanta, GA area but not in other parts of Georgia. Atlanta has some bad smog pollution days in the summer too.

https://www.underthegeorgiasun.com/2...getting-worse/

Atlanta traffic is bad.... REALLY BAD.

But it's a walk in the park compared to Los Angeles......HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER DOES LOS ANGELES SUCK!!

That being said, when you get out of California's metro areas, it does have some incredibly stunning scenery......the Redwoods, Pacific Coast Highway, Wine Country, etc.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:53 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times
The funniest part is that this is going to have the complete opposite effect of hurting Democrats in wealthy states and is going to do nothing more than turn once red States into blue ones. Actually, it might not be so bad if it encourages more dispersion of highly dense populated areas. Home prices will get a much needed decrease in many parts for the younger generations.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:56 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

That being said, when you get out of California's metro areas, it does have some incredibly stunning scenery......the Redwoods, Pacific Coast Highway, Wine Country, etc.
I agree. Even the California desert is stunning.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:53 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Atlanta traffic is bad.... REALLY BAD.

But it's a walk in the park compared to Los Angeles......HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER DOES LOS ANGELES SUCK!!

Well, if you want to stay on the east coast try DC. It'll match LA in some spots. I've never driven in LA but I have lived in the DC area for more than 40 years. Its traffic is horrible, bad, it sucks beyond belief. And thats on good days.

I inherited my fathers retirement home 13 years ago, sold my place in Bethesda and will never, ever live in that city or immediate surrounding areas again. Not ever. I never drive downtown. On trips, my wife and I are night people so if we have to we go thru there at midnight.

A few years ago the truckers were planning to go to DC, said they were going to drive at 55, clog the beltway. Everybody was saying do it, thats 4 times faster than the current speed.

Last edited by Weichert; 04-29-2018 at 08:07 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 06:08 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Well, if you want to stay on the east coast try DC. It'll match LA in some spots. I've never driven in LA but I have lived in the DC area for more than 40 years. Its traffic is horrible, bad, it sucks beyond belief. And thats on good days.

I inherited my fathers retirement home 13 years ago, sold my place in Bethesda and will never, ever live in that city or immediate surrounding areas again. Not ever. I never drive downtown. On trips, my wife and I are night people so if we have to we go thru there at midnight.

A few years ago the truckers were planning to go to DC, said they were going to drive at 55, clog the beltway. Everybody was saying do it, thats 4 times faster than the current speed.
" I've never driven in LA but I have lived in the DC area for more than 40 years>

Born in D.C,. commuted from MD for YEARS.

Have been to L.A..

Yes the Wash. beltway is VERY bad BUT, no where NEAR how bad L,A.is.

If you DON'T KNOW, DON't make ASSUMPTIONS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies