Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 02:47 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Californians are fleeing to Oklahoma of all places. You can buy 10 acres near the edge of town for $83,000 and less than that if you want to get further out in the middle nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WX7...&feature=share
Oklahoma?

I sincerely hope they’re happy there.

Not for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 05:09 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Oklahoma?

I sincerely hope they’re happy there.

Not for me
The guy said he got the idea to move to Oklahoma from an article about moving to Oklahoma for retirement. I've never heard of Oklahoma being a retirement mecca, but it probably beats moving there hoping to find a decent job.

The Fox clip didn't say what his employment plans are, but hope he has something lined up as the employment situation in Oklahoma is not great.

There is a thread on this, so those who are interested could go there for details, but as I recall the tax base is declining as companies like Seimens relocate to other states.

The state's financial situation is not good. Cuts to school funding resulted 4 day school weeks in a number of districts.

Perhaps they are planning on homeschooling. Many in Oklahoma do this as public schools have never been more than marginal. Teacher salaries have always been near the bottom.

I've lived in Oklahoma and I wouldn't go back if you paid me. It has the worst weather of any place I've ever lived in my entire life

The only time the wind stop is when the temperature reaches 100 degrees.

In the winter, the wind whips across the prairie land and doesn't slow down no matter how cold it gets. Got in the -20s when we lived there. Ice storms that snap power lines are not an uncommon occurrence.

Then there are the tornadoes. In 2010, there were 90 tornadoes in May alone. Our neighbor's barn was destroyed one year. The following year it was their house.

Now, there are "clusters of earthquakes." Apparently, due to fracking.

There is a reason this couple was able to buy 10 acres for such a low price.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:17 AM

Mass exodus from from areas with high state and local taxes to areas with lower taxes will likely mean more reasonable housing costs and more job opportunities for those who stay.

It's all good.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:25 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I'm not sure what planet you live on, but it is likely to have the opposite effect, since liberals from those higher tax states will move to the lower tax states, thus making the latter more blue. In fact, it's already started happening in Nevada, Arizona and probably North Carolina as people move away from high-tax California and New York.
OR, it could be the repubs in those high taxed states are the ones moving south to get away from the high property taxes when they retire.

I live in NC and MOST of the people I have met who have moved here from the north ARE repubs.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I've noticed a lot of right wing articles trying to drive the messaging that blue states are losing population due to the Trump tax plan that penalizes blue states by making their SALT non-deductible. The goal seems to be a veiled way to excuse the fact that Trump weaponized his own tax plan in order to penalize Democrats.

Now - we are coming up on midterm elections and Republicans in blue states should be kicked to the curb HARD. There is no reason a blue state should elect a Republican after the Trump tax plan. Republicans literally voted to increase taxes on their own constituents. And blue states contribute more in federal taxes than red states already! They already were contributing more. Blue states, especially coastal blue states, pay huge federal taxes because they tend to attract an educated populace and businesses are generated from that. California has the 6th largest economy in the world!!!

So, first, blue states need to punish every Republican in their respective states by kicking them out of office. Trump needs to be weakened politically first. And Republicans need to see just what happens when they weaponize the tax plan.

As for a blue state "exodus", a lot of blue states wouldn't mind seeing a bit of an exodus, our populations are extremely heavy as it is and if these people can tolerate moving to a state like Texas (which has extremely high property taxes by the way) then they should definitely do so.
There is no reason to get a FEDERAL tax break on your LOCAL PROPERTY TAXES.

Get your local politicians to LOWER the property taxes if you think they are too high.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
^
That's a good point. Not only will some liberals move to the lower-tax red states, thus making them bluer, the remaining red sections of the high-tax blue states will rebel again the republicans in their own districts because they raised taxes on them. Double whammy against the repubs.
Or maybe the people of those states will "rebel" against the HIGH property rates to their LOCAL politicians.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:34 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Come on. Are you really from Long Island? You cant tell me that you dont personally know plenty of non-retirees who moved down south for the lower cost of living.

I am a Long Island homeowner, but where I live it is mostly second homes, but I do read the forum. People are always talking about moving off the Island for cheaper pastures, just like here in NJ.
I didn't indicate otherwise, yes many people retire from NY to Fl but the OP insinuated that part of the exodus was for jobs in low tax states. The article is pretty lacking in a the breakdown of retirees vs young workers but retirees have very different priorities. They want access to medical service, some recreation, warm weather but they don't care about infrastructure like trains and highways, school districts. I don't see any mass exodus of young people heading to Fl for jobs in spite of the low cost of living nor do I see retirees heading for Mississippi because of lack of access to medical facilities.

Last edited by Goodnight; 04-29-2018 at 05:53 AM..

Old 04-29-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Yeah....great theory.

Except for one thing........

The people (like me), who move from high tax Blue States to low tax Red States, tend to be more conservative citizens who were fed up with the Blue States they moved out of.
BINGO, we have a WINNER!

Many on the left would NEVER come up with this.

They NEVER take responsibility for their actions.

Being the majority THEY voted in, time after time, the dems who have raised the property taxes to their current very high rates.

And NOW want to blame Trump and the repubs for THEIR predicament.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
They're not moving necessarily for tax purposes, they're moving for the climate. Just like they have been doing for many years now. I'm kind of surprised that this seems like a new concept to many of you.
"They're not moving necessarily for tax purposes, they're moving for the climate."

Are you making a claim of fact?

If so, how may of these people have you personally talked to?

Did it ever occur to you, obviously NOT, that it might be BOTH.

Many of these people CANNOT afford the excessively HIGH property taxes once they retire.

I have been here in N.C for over 10 years now and I KNOW a LOT of people who moved here for BOTH.

Myself INCLUDED!

I have friends who were paying $10,000 to $15,000 year and now are paying around $500 in property taxes.

It doesn't take a CPA to figure out $10,000 to $15,00 in retirement is big NUMBER to meet every year.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
OR, it could be the repubs in those high taxed states are the ones moving south to get away from the high property taxes when they retire.

I live in NC and MOST of the people I have met who have moved here from the north ARE repubs.
You must have a very limited social circle.

Most people moving to NC are moving to urban areas such as Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, etc., areas which largely vote for Democrats. Google it if you don't believe me.

There are more Republican voters in rural areas. But many retirees prefer to live in places with hospitals and doctors and these are gradually disappearing in rural areas of NC.

Also, it is one thing to hang out with Republicans in Connecticut. Quite another to hang out with them in NC. Whole different business here.

Gerrymandering is under court scrutiny in NC. Though Republicans are fighting to oppose fair districts, and continue their attempts to suppress the vote, the handwriting is on the wall.

Republicans who want to move to southern Republican states should probably consider Georgia, Mississippi, or Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies