Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 06:27 PM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
You're right. Liberals who insist on higher taxes are hypocrites who relocate just as they always have been. No harm in trying to save a buck and it is a free country.
People retiring don't care much about good schools or roads anymore. Yes some blue states pay more for education, that is not hypocrisy as priorities in life change as you age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 06:27 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
There will always be people in blue states who realize that they belong in a red state, that they would be more comfortable surrounded by folks similar to them.

They'll carry on about high taxes, expensive homes, and liberal policies and they are right. They would likely find more kindred spirits in Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi.

So be it.

But there are also people who want to move to a place with warmer winters and since they are retired and can live anywhere, why not?

If hey can sell their home in Boston and buy a decent one for half the price in North Carolina, why not?

To think that all the Republicans are leaving high COL areas is just as foolish as believing that no Democrats are moving to the south.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:28 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Personally, I wasn’t talking about the retirees. I was talking about all of the working age people from NJ who have made a mass exodus for primarily North Carolina, as well as other states to the south for a lower cost of living. I have been seeing it for years. I personally know quite a few. Many of these people are democrats, which always struck me as ironic.

It’s a free country, and as I said, hypocrisy isn’t illegal.

Before you know it, North Carolina is going to have decent pizza and bagels....

...along with higher taxes.
Decent pizza is still a struggle but getting better. Tax rates are still low here. Why? Republicans control the legislature. Hopefully a trend that will continue.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:28 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The article was lacking on how many and what percentage was young people relocating for new jobs, we need more than anecdotes. Who are these supposed young people moving to Fla for jobs.

If they want good bagels and pizza they will need to import some water.
Raleigh is getting Wegmanns.

Just saying.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:29 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
The article was lacking on how many and what percentage was young people relocating for new jobs, we need more than anecdotes. Who are these supposed young people moving to Fla for jobs.
~50k people moved to FL from Puerto Rico in 2018 due to Hurricane Maria. They tend to vote Democratic, although some are still too young to vote. Many more moved to other states. Some will fill the D slots in SALT states like NJ, when the NJ baby boomers retire and move south.

How many Puerto Ricans have moved to Florida? State's numbers questioned - Orlando Sentinel

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/21/us/pu...nvs/index.html

Last edited by sware2cod; 04-28-2018 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-28-2018, 06:32 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
In fact, it's already started happening in Nevada, Arizona and probably North Carolina as people move away from high-tax California and New York.
NC has a state income tax and also assesses annual vehicle property taxes. It's not a low-tax state. Not a high-tax state either, very much in the national average.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:33 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Well, as I said, that wasn't one of the more obvious ones. AZ and NV are more obvious with an influx of Californians.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:34 PM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Looking at the top 15 highest SALT states, I don't see a damn thing that makes them a better place to live than there neighbors who have lower taxes. The only reason that I would live in such a place is employment.
It all depends on priorities, if you like education and services many blue states are superior but if you enjoy a more rural atmosphere with lower taxes and less services that's your choice. The largest changes haven't been retirees to red states, it has been the rural/semi-rural migration to cities for jobs mostly by young people.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:35 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:

If they want good bagels and pizza they will need to import some water.
Come on. Are you really from Long Island? You cant tell me that you dont personally know plenty of non-retirees who moved down south for the lower cost of living.

I am a Long Island homeowner, but where I live it is mostly second homes, but I do read the forum. People are always talking about moving off the Island for cheaper pastures, just like here in NJ.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:47 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
It all depends on priorities, if you like education and services many blue states are superior but if you enjoy a more rural atmosphere with lower taxes and less services that's your choice. The largest changes haven't been retirees to red states, it has been the rural/semi-rural migration to cities for jobs mostly by young people.
Good schools can be found in any state. Good education begins and ends at home anyway.
Im not sure what services you speak of. Im not being obtuse as I have never lived in a place like Chicago or NYC.
What I do know is that the local cities near me rape their citizens with high taxes and they don't do anything extra.
For example. I pay a local garbage collector $30 a month. That's 4 pick ups a month up to 4 large bags, or 16 bags. I am paid for my recyclables.
My Brother has to buy his bags from the city at $4 a bag. Recycling is imposed, he is paid nothing for recyclables.

Water and sewer? Ill call that even. If my well pump fails that will be one expensive his, same with the septic.

Snow removal? Unfair contest. My neighbor is a township supervisor and our road is always plowed.

I agree with you, is all depends on priorities. I like clean air and space. I lived in the country surrounded by farms on a good sized piece of land.

Now I live abroad. In a small development, on a good sized piece of land, about 2 miles from a beach. My priorities did change. #1 was affordable health care and insurance. #2. Good standard of living. #3 good climate.
The language I can and am learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies