Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 06:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How many are retirees moving to Fla and AZ, seems to me this has a lot to do with baby boomers. Texas will be turning blue in a few years and AZ will probably follow, so much for your red wall for decades to come..

Texas and Florida, use to be Blue. The trend is not to go back there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 06:50 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
People retiring don't care much about good schools or roads anymore. Yes some blue states pay more for education, that is not hypocrisy as priorities in life change as you age.
But it isn't all retirees as was stated earlier. And if one thinks that the taxes one pays are worthwhile then why leave when you don't need the services any longer? Are they no longer worthwhile? If one is so altruistic about the necessity then one should stay to help out n'est-ce pas? Hence the hypocrisy or at the very least ironic. I am against exorbitantly high taxes no matter if I am paying them or no longer paying them.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:00 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
This will strengthen the Red Wall, by adding electoral votes to that block, for decades to come.

Having lived in the Red Wall 17 years, they welcome those refugees.

GOP's SALT cap may speed exodus from high-tax states, report says | Fox News
Are you so sure that Red State ppl want them?! I’m in Texas, and I surely don’t want them here. Our state also suffers from Trump’s new tax plan. Now limited to $10k SALT/yr in a high property tax state (2.5-3.0% of assessment).

Old 04-28-2018, 07:03 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I'm not sure what planet you live on, but it is likely to have the opposite effect, since liberals from those higher tax states will move to the lower tax states, thus making the latter more blue. In fact, it's already started happening in Nevada, Arizona and probably North Carolina as people move away from high-tax California and New York.
You are correct. They spread exactly like cancer.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Good schools can be found in any state. Good education begins and ends at home anyway.
Im not sure what services you speak of. Im not being obtuse as I have never lived in a place like Chicago or NYC.

What I do know is that the local cities near me rape their citizens with high taxes and they don't do anything extra.
For example. I pay a local garbage collector $30 a month. That's 4 pick ups a month up to 4 large bags, or 16 bags. I am paid for my recyclables.
My Brother has to buy his bags from the city at $4 a bag. Recycling is imposed, he is paid nothing for recyclables.

Water and sewer? Ill call that even. If my well pump fails that will be one expensive his, same with the septic.

Snow removal? Unfair contest. My neighbor is a township supervisor and our road is always plowed.

I agree with you, is all depends on priorities. I like clean air and space. I lived in the country surrounded by farms on a good sized piece of land.

Now I live abroad. In a small development, on a good sized piece of land, about 2 miles from a beach. My priorities did change. #1 was affordable health care and insurance. #2. Good standard of living. #3 good climate.
The language I can and am learning.
In our case, we stayed put in NY because of the autism services for my oldest child. I’m not sure how much it has improved in cheaper areas, but when we were looking at other areas 10 years ago, services were scarce and the waiting lists were long. My son has received top-notch care at no cost to us (well, aside from our tax dollars); any reduction in cost of living in a cheaper area would have been eaten up by the out-of-pocket costs of autism-related therapies.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
10,000 baby boomers turn 65 every single day. Many of them are retiring, and many of those retirees are moving south. Not 50 years from now, but today, tomorrow, next week, next month. In other words, it's happening right now.

If you think they magically become conservative the moment they cross the Mason-Dixon line you are simply whistling past the graveyard. Nope, those northerners are bringing their liberal/progressive beliefs with them, and they will vote accordingly.

The bluing of the South has begun. We're already seeing indications of it. You pretending it isn't happening doesn't change a thing.
I grew up progressive in red Texas and lived and voted for 15 years in blue California. I have become more conservative with years, but NOT conservative enough to vote for the fire-breathing socially retarded Repubs down here. I would however joyfully vote for a fiscally conservative, socially liberal conservative, but they don’t exist!! So, I vote default Dem or libertarian.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Texas and Florida, use to be Blue. The trend is not to go back there.
Dems in Texas were a big tent that ranged from progressive to moderate to conservative. The national identity of the Dem party delivered those voters into the repub party, especially after Reagan. Dem party in Texas has become too strongly tied to the progressive end of spectrum, which makes it difficult for a Dem to win statewide office since he must pass a sort of litmus test to support a pro-choice stance, pro gay rights stance, pro school funding stance, pro social programs stance, pro illegals stance etc. to win the Dem primary nomination. A modeRate can’t win the primary in supporting all of those. If he does, some of the progressives will stay home and not vote for him. When millennials take over and social wedge issues mean much less, Dems will be able to get more moderate candidates to win the statewide primaries. It’s only a matter of time.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
... the fact that Trump weaponized his own tax plan in order to penalize Democrats.
Everyone paying the same thing is not a penalty. If your federal income tax rose substantially because of this you need to direct complaints to your state legislators.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Decent pizza is still a struggle but getting better.
LOL... My Aunt and Uncle just visited us here in PA from NC. He pulls in the driveway and pops out of his truck with a pizza from a local place, said he was thinking about it since he left the driveway.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:13 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Everyone paying the same thing is not a penalty. If your federal income tax rose substantially because of this you need to direct complaints to your state legislators.
I'm all for everyone paying the same thing. Let's make that true for all states so we don't have blue states supplementing red states.

Red states more dependent on federal government - Business Insider

"High-tax, traditionally Democratic states (blue), subsidize low-tax, traditionally Republican states (red) — in a big way."

https://www.apnews.com/2f83c72de1bd440d92cdbc0d3b6bc08c

Trump and the GOP tax plan just increased that disparity so blue states pay even more to red states than they already did. Blue states need to kick every Republican member of congress out of their state. That alone will allow Democrats to take over Congress handily.

Blue state residents need to remember in November that Republicans voted to increase their taxes and increase the disparity that already existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies