Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:57 AM

37,160 posts, read 39,441,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol. Their is information about this on the books about Clinton and immigration. Much of the practice came into affect after the creation of the DHS under George Bush Jr. The separating children from parents at the border is nothing new, and has been going on for decades. The US as a whole has been separating families for decades. FDR separated Japanese American families during WW2. Separated Native American families after taming the west. Wait for it, wait for it, lets not talk about separating families during slavery!

Again, I don't hold Trump into high regard, or not a fan of Trump. I'm just happy that such inhuman law is gone.
There is nothing in the books mandating this. Find the actual law mandating this. I think the misinformation usually cites the Flores settlement of 97, the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008, or Public Law 107-296 in 2002 (this meme is especially dumb because what's been passed around is a shot of the definitions used rather than what the actual law is doing). These are usually cited separately in the misinformation and in small pieces or without any actual attribution. Go through these and see if you can find where separation is mandated for families crossing with children. I'll go deep with you on this if you want. What's exciting is the effort people want to make to believe these rumors and the actual "proof" they cite is so wonderfully hot swappable.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:00 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There is nothing in the books mandating this. Find the actual law mandating this. I think the misinformation usually cites the Flores settlement of 97, the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008, or Public Law 107-296 in 2002 (this meme is especially dumb because what's been passed around is a shot of the definitions used rather than what the actual law is doing). These are usually cited separately in the misinformation and in small pieces or without any actual attribution. Go through these and see if you can find where separation is mandated for families crossing with children. I'll go deep with you on this if you want. What's exciting is the effort people want to make to believe these rumors and the actual "proof" they cite is so wonderfully hot swappable.
Yes it is the Flores act, like I said it was a typo. I can go in on it with you too. You wanna battle? Let me know. But this has been going on for a while now, why are people complaining now? The law has been passed in 2002 by congress. Law mandates that minors who enter the United States illegally, alone or with parents to be placed in a facility. Separate is just misinformation. However all I'm saying is this. Why all the hoopla now. This should have ended a decade ago. Are we cool now, or you still want to debate?

Old 06-23-2018, 07:03 AM

37,160 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Yes it is the Flores act, like I said it was a typo. I can go in on it with you too. You wanna battle? Let me know. But this has been going on for a while now, why are people complaining now?
Sure, let's look at the Flores settlement:

https://openjurist.org/521/us/507

Where is the mandate that families be separated? Where is the evidence that this was done so en masse prior to this? Was this procedurally, as in the actual justification and mechanism for how these families were separated?

Here's another logic puzzle--this wasn't happening en masse previously. Somehow without actual changing the law through the legislative branch or going through the court system for its interpretation in the judicial branch, this administration was single-handedly able to suddenly stop it. Why do you think that is? Did this administration's actions suddenly go from being within the bounds of law to being in violation of it?

Old 06-23-2018, 07:07 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What percentage of Latin America should we resettle each year until you believe we have "done enough?"

And then, once we have resettled Latin America, how do we turn a blind eye to all the desperate people from Africa that we should resettle? You know that Africa's population is set to explode in the next few decades, with no sign that their economies will be able to keep up.

How much of your way of life are you willing to give up? More importantly, why do you think it's your place to decide that your fellow citizens should sacrifice our hard-fought way of life in order to resettle the world's desperate populations during a time when our resources, land and environment is undergoing constant and increased stress?

Obviously (I hope) you see there must be a limit. Some people say we're at that limit. I'd suggest there's more evidence we're AT a limit than evidence that we can continue to import poverty AND sustain our ambitions for social welfare and equal opportunity.

Respect that.
I think the premise of your question is flawed from the get-go because you are acting as if any of us have said all people from all bad places should be brought here to America. That's not what anyone is saying.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What does credibility have to do with this?

Either the statement is true or it is not.

He is right. If you dont smuggle children over the border, the US government will not take the children away from you.

That seems like a great way to be sure to keep your children.

Are you trying to say that he is lying here? Is that why you are bringing up his credibility?

Do you think the US is sending operatives into Mexico to steal their children and bring them back here to fill our detention centers?
I guess the Tutsis wouldn't have murdered if they'd just stayed on their own side of the border too...

This is the problem with simplistic statements. They don't include context.

I could say, "White men rape and kill." Its a true statement, yes? Does it tell the whole story? Nope. And that's just what Sessions and his ilk bank on...supporters who refuse to look past a sentence to see how the action effects people.

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
A distasteful failed policy of separating families implemented by an incompetent DHS staffed by goons. And they are going to fix it themselves? It would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetically sad.

WWJD? Vote Democratic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, let's look at the Flores settlement:

https://openjurist.org/521/us/507

Where is the mandate that families be separated? Where is the evidence that this was done so en masse prior to this? Was this procedurally, as in the actual justification and mechanism for how these families were separated?

Here's another logic puzzle--this wasn't happening en masse previously. Somehow without actual changing the law through the legislative branch or going through the court system for its interpretation in the judicial branch, this administration was single-handedly able to suddenly stop it. Why do you think that is?

I read it already. I read the Flores case before you posted and the dissenting argument and reasons. This DHS stuff started under Bush which calls for illegal minors to be placed in detention centers. Why do I think that is? Your smart and I'm academically inferior. You tell me?

We can go back and forth. I already received two rep points against you already. We can drag this out. Let me know?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/do...ention-minors/

Old 06-23-2018, 07:13 AM

Just got to the pages and mock outrage over the TIME cover. Here we go. Glad the dogs got their bones...

Old 06-23-2018, 07:15 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
It's been claimed several times in various threads in the "Politics" forum that Japanese-American families were similarly separated when held in detention camps during WWII.

This is not true - children remained with their families. There were schools in the camps for kindergartners through high schoolers, and families were kept together.

One of my then-young relatives taught high school journalism in one of the camps, and she was not Japanese-American, but Caucasian. She lived in the camp, however, in a tarpaper-covered barrack, as did those incarcerated there.

It was a great wrong, but there were those at the time who tried to address that wrong as much as they could, in whatever ways they could. My relative was one of those kind people.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
It's been claimed several times that Japanese-American families were similarly separated when held in detention camps during WWII. This is incorrect - children remained with their families. There were schools in the camps for kindergartners through high schoolers, and families were kept together.

One of my then-young relatives taught high school journalism in one of the camps, and she was not Japanese-American, but Caucasian. She lived in the camp, however, in a tarpaper-covered barrack, as did those incarcerated there.

It was a great wrong, but there were those at the time who tried to address that wrong as much as they could, in whatever ways they could. My relative was one of those kind people.
I read an excerpt back in college about a family that was separated. After the war the family was reunited. Yes nearly all families remained intact during that era. But some did not, but reasons are unknown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies