Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 07:20 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Years ago, when I was a graduate student, it was not unusual for people to fall asleep studying just about anywhere on campus - the library, the couches in academic buildings, art or design studios - any place they could catch a few ZZZs before getting back to their projects or hitting the books again. This was particularly true when final exams were close at hand.
Except-she didn't "fall asleep studying". The lights were off in the room-she complained about the other woman (the caller) turning them on. This isn't someone that passed out with their head on their books.

Even so, not unreasonable for her to turn the lights off and take a nap. I used to crash on the floor of our engineering building from time to time-in those days we had 2 CAD stations booked 24 hours a day-you had to sign up for one hour blocks, often in the middle of the night. Questioned by security as well-was pretty simple to just show my ID and be done with it. But then, I didn't have a huge attitude and chip on my shoulder, nor an agenda to push over nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 07:23 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Would you care to explain this comment?

I agree that calling the police over this was stupid, but I don't see how that justifies such a generalization.
This is the how many in the past month or so?

Sounding less and less like a generalization.

Let’s recap shall we?
Starbucks
CSU
AirBNB
Yale

And likely Nordstrom.

I’ve little doubt now that this is a daily occurrence. We just don’t hear about it every time.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:24 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
More nonsense here of course...

Since a post-graduate student falls asleep in a common Yale room, the police get a hysterical phone call.

If the post-graduate student had also been white, I'm most certain that no phone call would have been placed.

It's not so much a problem of "calling the police while white", but more like a problem of falling asleep while black!

We should all expect more evidence of racial polarization from this Alt-Right Trump administration. It's like whites have been given the green light for all levels of overt racist behavior.
I take it your degree is in mind reading. There is nothing to indicate that the call was about race. A middle aged women is flopped out in a common area of an Ivy League university. What would indicate that she wasn't some bum sleeping there? Has there been any kind of history of that going on at the university?

Old 05-10-2018, 07:24 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Except-she didn't "fall asleep studying". The lights were off in the room-she complained about the other woman (the caller) turning them on. This isn't someone that passed out with their head on their books.

Even so, not unreasonable for her to turn the lights off and take a nap. I used to crash on the floor of our engineering building from time to time-in those days we had 2 CAD stations booked 24 hours a day-you had to sign up for one hour blocks, often in the middle of the night. Questioned by security as well-was pretty simple to just show my ID and be done with it. But then, I didn't have a huge attitude and chip on my shoulder, nor an agenda to push over nothing.
I didn't know there was a protocol for "falling asleep studying" that you had to follow be avoid being accused of trespassing. It's not like anyone ever says "I need a 20-min power nap, so let me just put my notes and books away until I come back."

People will make up any kind of scenario to justify Black people getting harassed. Suddenly there's a formal process to "falling asleep studying..."

Old 05-10-2018, 07:25 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Fell asleep with papers everywhere in the middle of the night. Dorms have limited access after hours. The chick that called the police was purposely making trouble.
This.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:28 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Read about this somewhere else.

Honestly, all these police calls for non-criminal things occuring, IMO more people need to be fined for calling the cops/911 for stuff like this.

I also don't see a problem with the way the police responded (not in this one or another recent story where Bob Marley's granddaughter had the police called on her because she didn't look "friendly" enough to a person in a neighborhood where she was renting an AirBnB).

Police, when called, have to check out the situation and the ID not working and them having to verify that a person is a student is an acceptable, common sense thing to do IMO.

They should fine the young woman who called the police. Evidently this is not the first time she has done something like this as she did it to another black student before per the article I read earlier.
Why not jail anyone who report suspicious activity and it turns out to be nothing?

Calling the cops unnecessarily = 1 year mandatory minimum prison sentence.

That will teach people a lesson. It will for sure make people think twice.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:31 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Offended Girl sound like some of the liberal posters on CD who wants to dictate who can hang around and post on certain threads.

You'll see them. They'll question why Mods allow threads to stay open when someone trash talks Hillary or Obama or Defends Trump.

They are the troublemaker girl in college who called the police and now report you on City Data for not being a Trump hater.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:34 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I take it your degree is in mind reading. There is nothing to indicate that the call was about race. A middle aged women is flopped out in a common area of an Ivy League university. What would indicate that she wasn't some bum sleeping there? Has there been any kind of history of that going on at the university?
The caller was white. What more evidence do we need!? As someone said earlier, if the caller had been another color, that person wouldnt have called the police! An Asian woman would have talked to the sleeper in a kind way and never called the police. We are told this, so it must be true!

Old 05-10-2018, 07:43 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This is the how many in the past month or so?

Sounding less and less like a generalization.

Let’s recap shall we?
Starbucks
CSU
AirBNB
Yale

And likely Nordstrom.

I’ve little doubt now that this is a daily occurrence. We just don’t hear about it every time.
I have little doubt that it also occurs with no white caller, but you don’t hear about that either. It’s like when the media puts a spotlight on something that wasn’t on it before people start thinking it’s an epidemic. They did it with kidnapping in the ‘90s, and now people are afraid to let their kids go outside alone. The incidents were no higher than before the media attention, but people feel like it is.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:45 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Why not jail anyone who report suspicious activity and it turns out to be nothing?

Calling the cops unnecessarily = 1 year mandatory minimum prison sentence.

That will teach people a lesson. It will for sure make people think twice.
Yeah, that’s not going overboard.

And now I get the sarcasm in your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies