Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 11:04 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
There should be an amendment to the constitution that state and city governments have to have a balance of conservative representatives along with what other whack a mole party that wants to give everything away to people who do nothing.

Echo chambers are really bad for Democracy.

One of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

If the people wants 80% Democrats, they should get it. It's called Democracy. I know many conservatives have a problem with democracy, but that's too bad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 11:07 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
it's supposed to be a republic - not a democracy.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:08 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Washington state is a good example, when the Rs were in control the state struggled and the joke slowly became "out one out of seattle turn off the lights." But as the dems gained more power and the cons moderated the state kept doing better.

Now WA is 100% controlled by dems and it its economy is doing great. It is not that the dems have some magic it is that they encourage education , long term investment and strong social safety nets.
Yep.

Educated, competent people are attracted to states that encourage education, and offer a high quality of life.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:08 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

If the people wants 80% Democrats, they should get it. It's called Democracy. I know many conservatives have a problem with democracy, but that's too bad.

How about the farmers and ranchers in California. People who employ thousands of people and are deeply affected by the politics of Sacramento who are essentially unrepresented in state government?

I have a good friend who owns a large walnut/pecan farm in California. Very wealthy guy and his is so abused by the taxes and government. His vote means nothing there. He is completely taxed without representation and he is paying the bills. He pays more in property and income tax per month than most people's income per year.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:19 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Minnesota is a known as a high tax state with a good quality of living and apparently that attracts competent individuals and businesses whose success depends on competent employees.

For example, I don't believe there is anything comparable to the Mayo Clinic in Wisconsin.

The Mayo clinic was founded in 1864 and has major locations in Minnesota, Florida, and Arizona..... it also has multiple hospitals in Wisconsin, and Iowa........... .so what is your point

Old 05-14-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

That suggestion that there should be a Constitutional amendment requiring a certain percentage of conservatives representatives "who don't want to give away things to people who do nothing" is an eye opener.

If you want to live in a state full of conservatives who don't want to offer a helping hand to the less fortunate, Louisiana looks like a winner.

Louisiana Department of Health Deputy Secretary Michelle Alletto stated about 37,000 Medicaid recipients will receive notices that their eligibility to receive the benefit could end on July 1.

Recipients are elderly in nursing homes, and assisted living facilities as well as those with developmental disabilities living in group homes.

"We cannot provide services with no money to pay for them," agency Secretary Dr. Rebekah Gee told reporters.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/09/us/lo...ons/index.html

Good times, eh?

Old 05-14-2018, 11:25 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
Quote:
"We cannot provide services with no money to pay for them," agency Secretary Dr. Rebekah Gee told reporters.
imagine that.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:26 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
We could compare compare Texas and Illinois I suppose.
Minnesota was doing better than Wisconsin long before it went red and Scott Walker.
The two states are quite a bit more different than people assume.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:30 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
people who believe liberals are better at the economy should just move to those states. every report can be spun one way or another.
they are.

The is exactly what has been happening for the last 50 years.

Washington state has a steady inflow of folks from conservative states moving here to enjoy the good life.

example... Alex Jones, he moved to a deep blue part of texas so that he could enjoy all the benefits of a liberal city and region while he attacks liberals day after day after day.

in fact i think they have a word for it... hypocritic....

Old 05-14-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
The Mayo clinic was founded in 1864 and has major locations in Minnesota, Florida, and Arizona..... it also has multiple hospitals in Wisconsin, and Iowa........... .so what is your point
I'm surprised it was so difficult to figure out. But in the interest of helping the less fortunate, I'll give it another go

The Mayo Clinic is a nonprofit academic medical center based in Rochester, Minnesota. It is focused on integrated clinical practice, education, and research. It is a huge campus where people fly in from all over the world for diagnosis and treatment.

The Mayo Clinic Health System has expanded to include outreach clinics, many which seem to deal with specific ailments. But there is nothing like the Mayo Clinic in Wisconsin, not even close.

The UW medical center in Madison has a fine reputation. But it doesn't hold a candle to the Mayo Clinic.

FYI: Madison, WI is liberal area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies