Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 03:46 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
It doesnt make the sexism and misogynist language any better though. Its just vile and obscene. And hypocritical.
In a way it is. But its mostly a radio track.

You can see when an artist is serious and when thryre not. He was just doing a feature for Kanye. More of a reflection that folks arent perfect. Even JCole acknowledges his setbacks.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:56 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
He's a powerful man with massive influence. Its disgraceful to be honest and he knows what he is doing. No reason to excuse him when he's trying to shame others.
Why do you keep bringing Trump into this?
This thread is about a well respected individual, not our President.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:58 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
It's an absolute joy to watch so many people infuriated by the fact that they can't say the word.
What do you mean, black people can do something that we can't?

That is the power that black people have given the word. They took what we used to hurt them, and they made it theirs, and now it infuriates some of us. They use it left, right, and center. They've made it cool (like they have so much in our culture), and we can't touch it.

It's tremendous.

Kendrick had a white guy on their before the girl, and he skipped the word with no issue. The girl also apologized and kept on going.
Kendrick brings people on at every show.

No one into hip-hop cares about this, mostly racists do.

it's like the threads about NY and Cali written by people from North Dakota. just hating on what can't be had.
I have not read the rest of this thread. Just bits and pieces. I haven't seen a lot of people mad that they cannot say any words. I think people are frustrated that it seems like this girl, a fan of his, was put on the spot and embarrassed by just being an enthusiastic fan.

I don't think she was there to demean anyone or hurl slurs. But, I guarantee she felt like she was being accused of it by the time she was called out. And of course she apologized. She didn't go there to offend people. I think she was wrong to sing along and he was wrong to put her up there without laying down any ground rules.

That, in my mind, it is the actual issue around this.

I do not use that word and I don't think anyone should, but I'm not black so black people can do whatever they want.

I just like to think about things in an academic sense and it strikes me that there is indeed room for confusion when it comes to works of art such as music, plays, film, and novels.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:07 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
I would like to join you on your magical planet.
The world that I live on; If black people stop using the word, it'll go right back to the bigoted racist, hillbilly confederate trash.
It won't disappear, it'll just go right back to being what it originally was. A word designed to dehumanize black people and put them down.

I obviously don't think you have bad intentions, but I think you're missing something here.
Do you know that for sure, though?

I mean, I do not doubt that some bigoted, racist pieces of trash would use it, but isn't it way easier to get all the decent people in this country to admonish those bigoted, racist pieces of trash for using it if NOBODY else thinks it is okay to use it?

Saying "it's okay here but not there" just sends mixed signals.

I mean, don't you think it might be worth trying out sometime? So many people of all races and ethnicities find that word offensive here in the US that you'd think we'd have retired it from polite conversation by now.

I'm not missing anything, I promise. I do see exactly where you are coming from.

But, at the end of the day, if you want the word to quit being tossed around, you have to extinguish it from daily discourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies