Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:16 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

That’ll teach her.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:18 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yes, lately white people have been jumping on the bandwagon to guilt other white people on their supposed racism, something like a witch hunt.
Or the more likely and logical explanation:

When you're so racist, that your own people have to call you out on that crap.

Last edited by Sactown4; 05-22-2018 at 08:41 AM..

Old 05-22-2018, 08:27 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
She was at a RAP concert. Proof enough that she was likely not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I didn't realize anyone still listened to that crap. He kids, the 1990s called, they want their "music" back.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:34 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
White kids liking rap and hip hop is a fad. It started back in the mid 90s. I would bet 10-20 yrs from now, they will be on to something different.

Yes, she should have skipped this particular word, even if on stage singing it, even though Im a white guy in my 40s, I realize I have NO business EVER using or saying that word in the same way black people do.
Mid 90s? Maybe out in the sticks. I grew up in the upscale white suburbs of NYC and white kids liked rap right from the beginning. All the way back to ‘Rapper’s Delight’ and ‘White Lines’.

Run DMC? Public Enemy? Naughty By Nature? Etc, etc, etc.....Hell, The Beastie Boys! All before the mid 90s.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:35 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
She was at a RAP concert. Proof enough that she was likely not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I didn't realize anyone still listened to that crap. He kids, the 1990s called, they want their "music" back.
Lol, Toyman, I know you're a little bit outside the demographic, but rap isn't going anywere.
I might not think it's as good as the 90's - early 2000's but it is even more ingrained in the culture now than it was then. Most innovation in music comes from hip hop, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:37 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Mid 90s? Maybe out in the sticks. I grew up in the upscale white suburbs of NYC and white kids liked rap right from the beginning. All the way back to ‘Rapper’s Delight’ and ‘White Lines’.

Run DMC? Public Enemy? Naughty By Nature? Etc, etc, etc.....Hell, The Beastie Boys! All before the mid 90s.
I grew up in NC and we were listening to the same stuff you were when it came out. So, yeah... definitely before the 90s... more like late 70s, early 80s for the most part.

My daughter thinks it's funny that I still remember all the lyrics to Rapper's Delight.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:38 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Or the more likely and logical explanation:

When you're so racist, that you're own people have to call you out on that crap.
No, scenarios with edited videos in which we never get to hear the victims side because they are hiding from death threats.

White people are not allowed to be a united group, so there is no "your own people".

Old 05-22-2018, 08:51 AM

21,145 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Transracialed white people.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:03 AM

I'm not sure why this was even done. Why ask anyone to come onstage and sing lyrics YOU wrote if you don't want them to sing part of the lyrics?

I completely agree that white people should not be calling black people by the N word, but come on. If you do not want white people singing some portion of the lyrics either don't invite them on state or tell them what you want them to do once they get there.

Some of the commentary is implying this girl rapping along with lyrics is the same as issuing racial slurs aimed at a person. I disagree. What she did, by rapping all his lyrics (like she was invited there to do) is the same as reading Huck Finn aloud and not censoring the content or quoting a line from Pulp Fiction.

If we are going to decide that word is not to be used, we all have to agree to quit putting it in books and in movies and in lyrics and leave it for conversational use among black people ONLY.

Because you cannot have it both ways.

I'm personally all for getting rid of it.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:03 AM

I'm not sure why this was even done. Why ask anyone to come onstage and sing lyrics YOU wrote if you don't want them to sing part of the lyrics?

I completely agree that white people should not be calling black people by the N word, but come on. If you do not want white people singing some portion of the lyrics either don't invite them on stage or tell them what you want them to do once they get there.

Some of the commentary is implying this girl rapping along with lyrics is the same as issuing racial slurs aimed at a person. I disagree. What she did, by rapping all his lyrics (like she was invited there to do) is the same as reading Huck Finn aloud and not censoring the content or quoting a line from Pulp Fiction.

If we are going to decide that word is not to be used, we all have to agree to quit putting it in books and in movies and in lyrics and leave it for conversational use among black people ONLY.

Because you cannot have it both ways.

I'm personally all for getting rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies