Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2018, 02:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
OK. What President has actually honored more of his campaign promises than Trump?
The Obameter: Campaign Promises that are Promise Kept | PolitiFact

Trump-O-Meter: Tracking Trump's Campaign Promises | PolitiFact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 11:28 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,590,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside
For crying out loud...this thread is still up? Libs and Trump haters, like it or not the majority of the country agrees with Trump on this stupid issue. It's a freaking game and Trump is cheerfully trolling you folks on possibly the least important issue this country has ever had to deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Source this please?
//www.city-data.com/forum/52021893-post184.html

Old 05-28-2018, 11:56 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,590,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
NH is the closest thing we have to a libertarian society in the U.S., along with western Montana.

Ever hear of the Free State Project?
thks ...

There is a huge problem (several really) though with the 'sovereign citizens' sub culture and their ideology. They do not recognize 'all' citizens as sovereign. It is a movement though that has spread world wide and the UN may be inadvertently helping, through the recognition of indigenous peoples. (this is the last I will mention this in this thread)

It is a culture prerogative to adopt symbols so as to express a belief in something, that goes as far back as to ancient civilizations. The Cross, is but one of those symbols, that not all people will unite under, but is one most will certainly understand. The American Flag ... is another.

Symbols don't create unity, only people can do that.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:55 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Rep +1 ......Drop....The.....Mic
Thank you. I think President Trump is a hypocrite. Or rather, his priorities are screwed up.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Vietnam era veteran here. As far as I'm concerned NFL players kneeling is way far down my list of things to be angry about. Stand or kneel; it doesn't make any difference to me. I find it laughable and and at the same time scary, how people on both sides have latched onto something so insignificant and blown it up all out of proportion.
Hello. Thank you for your service. And Happy Memorial Day. My uncle served in Vietnam too.

Part of this is more scary than laughable. For a President to suggest that NFL players should be kicked out of the country for kneeling, that is something to worry about. It seems like he's spouting off at the mouth. But what said NFL players have done isn't grounds for being kicked out of the USA.

I will stand when I hear the national anthem. I have just stayed out of this for a long time because it was nothing that affected me. Now, police brutality might affect me because that is a serious matter. However, when it comes to the matter of kneeling during the national anthem, this has been an issue I've seldom discussed. In fact, I've tried to focus on other stuff. Right now, I'm more worried about getting a job. I'm more worried about the sanity of certain individuals around me and elsewhere.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:12 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,366,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
He's trolling the libs and it works every time. Remember all Obama's lectures to the right? This is the same thing, except on Twitter. And when we'd complain you folks would tell us elections have consequences.
Well elections do have consequences. So does behaving in a manner your employer doesn't like when you are on the job. Those poooooor NFL players ........

Old 05-28-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I was mistaken about the riots.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about the hypotheticals.

I'm not defending the Confederates or their cause per se; I just believe in complete decentralization. The CSA was still a tyrannical would-be country with a central government; I wonder what would've happened down the road if, had they won, one or more of their states wanted to secede.
I know the North had its problems. I just base my hypotheticals on the prevailing social climate, what other countries were doing, and what the documents were saying.

In the case of the Confederacy, everything is about what cause your supporting. If you are defending yourself against tyranny, that is one reason for decentralization. However, in the case of the Confederacy, the cause was about keeping and maintaining slavery, and it was the big part of it. Based on what I've read, there was no real tyranny from the U.S. government towards the South. Just a region desperate to keep its slave-owning way of life. And to me it is personal, as someone who is the descendant of slaves. Owning slaves is the antithesis of being a libertarian. If libertarianism is about freedom, slavery is antithetical to that.

And all of this started over trying to debate the American Revolution vs the American Civil War (and the Confederate cause). Considering what I have read and learned from the very moment I've been in school, the two are not the same. Neither war was the same thing. One was about fighting tyranny. Another war was about fighting for the right to own human beings as property. One involved colonies that were being taxed without representation. They were under the rule of Britain without the full benefits of it.The other cause involved states which were fully part of the USA, had voting power and representation in the government, but feared the abolition of slavery so much, it was willing to secede, and wage war against America.

And it all went back to a post I made about the Confederate flag. My point was that you can fly the Confederate flag, the flag of traitors to the USA. However, it doesn't mean you should. My point was CAN does not mean SHOULD. I had a point to make, but the discussion went all the way to left field, to stuff I did not intend to discuss.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Well elections do have consequences. So does behaving in a manner your employer doesn't like when you are on the job. Those poooooor NFL players ........
Well, either way, what those NFL players do is none of Trump's business. They aren't being terrorists. They aren't waging a war against the USA. Just a protest.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:44 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,742 times
The easiest way to fix this nonsense is to fine them an entire game's salary every time they indulge in this disrespectful nonsense. Hitting people in the pocketbook always gets their attention. Mark my words. It will stop once those king's ransom paychecks get pulled back.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:11 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,082,970 times
Aaron Rodgers speaks out, tells people to ignore Trump and his attempts at making the issue about something it isn't.

Donald Trump wants to make this about the troops, the flag

I'm a Rams fan, but I've always liked Rodgers.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...09927285252097
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies