Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2018, 04:58 PM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Trump might have had more credibility criticizing the players for lack of patriotism if he hadn't dodged the draft during Nam with an ingrown toenail.
True. And there is more.

His wife, who is from Slovenia, had to tell him to put his hand over his heart during the anthem. President Trump is showing so much hypocrisy right now. Not to mention he is suggesting doing something that is unconstitutional.

President Trump also took a job at John McCain. While there are some things I disagree with McCain on, I give McCain his props. He served this country. He served and got hurt in the process. He could have dodged the draft but he served. I won't talk down to someone who dodges the draft. However, when you talk crap about a soldier, saying something like "I like soldiers who weren't captured", that is the utmost disrespect.

President Trump has no room to talk. After some of the things I've seen out of him, saying something like "NFL players who kneel shouldn't be in the country" is quite hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
NFL players think Trump should not be in the country.
Well, those NFL players have not committed treason, so there's nothing President Trump can do. President Trump is best served keeping his mouth shut.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:22 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,123,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is a big difference between what the American Revolution was about and what the Confederate cause was about. Last time I checked, we're no longer England. We are the USA. And the Confederate state cause was a disgusting cause.
Quote:
One difference. This isn't England anymore. And the American Revolution was for reasons far more noble than the Confederate cause. Big difference between fighting taxation without representation, and fighting to keep slavery around. The Confederate cause was the latter cause. Furthermore, the Confederates got their rear end handed to them (and I'm glad they did). After that, it was back in the USA.
Slavery was only one aspect of the Civil War. One of many.

Technology would have eventually ended slavery anyway. In addition, if the CSA would have won the right to secede, many other nations would not have traded with them if they kept slavery legal, and they would have been destroyed economically. Remember, the Industrial Revolution was right around the corner, and a plantation-based, agrarian economy would have failed spectacularly. They would've come crawling back to the U.S. begging to be readmitted. They would have had to modernize.

Remember also, blacks were still 3rd-class citizens in the North; the worst race riots happened in the North.

Little nuances like that are what's not taught in school.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Slavery was only one aspect of the Civil War. One of many.

Technology would have eventually ended slavery anyway. In addition, if the CSA would have won the right to secede, many other nations would not have traded with them if they kept slavery legal, and they would have been destroyed economically. Remember, the Industrial Revolution was right around the corner, and a plantation-based, agrarian economy would have failed spectacularly. They would've come crawling back to the U.S. begging to be readmitted. They would have had to modernize.

Remember also, blacks were still 3rd-class citizens in the North; the worst race riots happened in the North.

Little nuances like that are what's not taught in school.
Slavery was a major aspect of the Civil War. It was one of the biggest aspects of all. Why else would the Confederates draft their own constitution, with a clause literally protecting the institution of slavery? Why else would slavery be mentioned alot in the Articles of Secession? Anyone who says slavery was only small part of it, or try to downplay it altogether, is being dishonest.

I don't think technology would have ended slavery. The Southern states were invested in slavery to the point of fighting to keep it. It was more than just an economic lifestyle. It was social status. As for the Industrial Revolution, the planter class was very disdainful of industrial ways. And furthermore, there were some textile mills that existed in the South. Slaves were working in them. Look up industrial slave.

Slavery was not limited to the agricultural sector in the South. Cotton mills, sugar refineries, railroads, they used slaves in the South. Furthermore, even with the arrival of industry in the South, agriculture still dominated.

If the CSA won, there were still countries that would have had slavery. The CSA would have resumed the slave trade. Cuba and Brazil would have traded with the CSA. Cuba and Brazil would have gotten cotton from the CSA while the CSA could get sugar cane from Cuba and Brazil. And the Industrial Revolution created wage laborers in the UK. People who were already free could work for a wage. The Industrial Revolution mostly went to places where the vast majority of people were already free. Slavery held back any industrial progress in the South.

I know Blacks were not treated well in the North. I never said the North was so much better than the South. I wasn't talking about the North at all. I was talking about the Confederate cause and its goals. Its goals were to keep the institution of slavery around. As someone who is the descendant of slaves, there is no "let the South secede and keep slavery around a little longer". There is no "Let the South figure it out for themselves". To me, it is "Live Free or Die". I'd rather be dead than be a slave.

Something else. There were race riots throughout the USA. North, South, East, and West.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:18 PM

231 posts, read 156,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Welcome to Germany 1939.

There is no comparison to Germany at all.

Just using CNN talking points.

So Trump wants people to love and respect America, if you dont you can leave
and somehow you turn this into a comparison to Germany.

Or we could go Obama route, find ways to get mass shootings going to we can take
away our lawful right to own guns and protect ourselves so the Government then can
take total control. Now that sounds a lot like Germany and other place. Thanks to Obama.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:24 PM

231 posts, read 156,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
As to why, I can think of a few reasons.

1. He has an opportunity to be self-righteous and bullying.

2. He has an opportunity to insult black people.

3. He has an opportunity to ignore genuine grievances.

4. He has the opportunity to seem patriotic - important for a draft-dodger.

5. He has an opportunity to distract from the Russia investigation.

Not bullying. This is what veterans died for and we owe them the respect to have people respect our flag and anthem.

LOL insult black people. Total BS. Trump promised to help blacks gain employment because Obama left them out in the cold, he has delivered. Lowest unemployment in the black community ever!

He is extremely patriotic. Bill Clinton was the true draft dodger.

Distract from a fake investigation that in 14 months has zero evidence.

All your point are total BS.

LOL

Obama
1. Self righteous me, me and me who bullied anyone who did not like his stupid decisions.
2. He and his wife hated whites and took every shot he could at white people.
3. Bengazi and many others where something always happened to hide the fact he is an ignorant idiot.
4. Obama had the opportunity to serve in our military but could not get in because the man hates American, our flag and our heros.
5. Bengazi, fast and furious, Black Hawks with Seal team members killed, all stories that were purposely buried to keep us from looking at the moron he truly was.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Slavery was a major aspect of the Civil War. It was one of the biggest aspects of all. Why else would the Confederates draft their own constitution, with a clause literally protecting the institution of slavery? Why else would slavery be mentioned alot in the Articles of Secession? Anyone who says slavery was only small part of it, or try to downplay it altogether, is being dishonest.

I don't think technology would have ended slavery. The Southern states were invested in slavery to the point of fighting to keep it. It was more than just an economic lifestyle. It was social status. As for the Industrial Revolution, the planter class was very disdainful of industrial ways. And furthermore, there were some textile mills that existed in the South. Slaves were working in them. Look up industrial slave.

Slavery was not limited to the agricultural sector in the South. Cotton mills, sugar refineries, railroads, they used slaves in the South. Furthermore, even with the arrival of industry in the South, agriculture still dominated.

If the CSA won, there were still countries that would have had slavery. The CSA would have resumed the slave trade. Cuba and Brazil would have traded with the CSA. Cuba and Brazil would have gotten cotton from the CSA while the CSA could get sugar cane from Cuba and Brazil. And the Industrial Revolution created wage laborers in the UK. People who were already free could work for a wage. The Industrial Revolution mostly went to places where the vast majority of people were already free. Slavery held back any industrial progress in the South.

I know Blacks were not treated well in the North. I never said the North was so much better than the South. I wasn't talking about the North at all. I was talking about the Confederate cause and its goals. Its goals were to keep the institution of slavery around. As someone who is the descendant of slaves, there is no "let the South secede and keep slavery around a little longer". There is no "Let the South figure it out for themselves". To me, it is "Live Free or Die". I'd rather be dead than be a slave.

Something else. There were race riots throughout the USA. North, South, East, and West.
I just don't think human nature would have allowed slavery to continue in its then-current form. European countries wouldn't have traded with them. The CSA would have been mostly isolated.

Sharecropping existed until the mid-20th century; was that really any different? The CSA could've technically abolished slavery but kept the same system they ended up having anyway.

I did mention the Industrial Revolution would have bypassed the CSA, which is another reason why that country wouldn't have lasted very long if they didn't abolish slavery.

The deadliest race riot in U.S. history happened in Manhattan in 1863; the Draft Riots. 120 dead.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
...the man hates American, our flag and our heros.
He hates business owners?

Old 05-26-2018, 06:57 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
He hates business owners?
I don't think Obama put that much thought into it. I could be wrong ... However, the one we have now in the white house ... he knows to follow the money back to 1913, in the history of u.s finance.

I knew (don't ask me how, cause I won't say) Trump would win, even before it dwindled down to the few.

The NFL? Trump definitely knows how to 'steer' the focus of the American people. He can make a mountain out of a mole hill. But there will be a few, that will say ... what should we be looking at?

Old 05-26-2018, 07:04 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The NFL? Trump definitely knows how to 'steer' the focus of the American people. He can make a mountain out of a mole hill. But there will be a few, that will say ... what should we be looking at?

Of course, the NFL is just another tRump attempt at deflection.

We need to keep our eyes on the ball.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies