Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 12:06 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times

Advertisements

I always thought the teleprompter jabs were unjustified. The man was clearly eloquent. He also had the advantage of following GWB, who was not the greatest speaker by any measure.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:07 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I always thought the teleprompter jabs were unjustified. The man was clearly eloquent. He also had the advantage of following GWB, who was not the greatest speaker by any measure.
I couldn't care less who does or does not use a teleprompter.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-11-2018, 12:20 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Why would an individual that leans to the Right concerning politics have to be a moon shot hole in one to admit that they liked Obama?

It is the Dems and the Lefty media that is trying to put us all into categories. They would have us all stand to one side or the other with no one in the middle. On the Left we have the smart forward thinking good people that care about others and the earth. On the Right we have the hill billy, climate change denying deplorable rednecks that love their guns but hate minorities and think that women should be subservient to men.

I liked Obama enough to vote for him in 2008. I was not a fan of McCain (still not). I thought Obama was the right man for the job and over his terms I think he meant well and he did some good things and he also did some really stupid things that left us deplorables wondering if he even liked America.

Obama was probably the last vote I will ever cast for a Democrat.

There are many of us in the middle between the political extremes of either party and if the Dems keep up their pointless attacks and undermining of Trump our duly elected President I suspect the Left will be hearing from us again in 2020.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:24 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Not just no, Hell No!

Old 06-11-2018, 12:26 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Anyways. Let the bombs drop..
Personally I had no problem with him - he actually seemed like a decent guy.

Politically - totally different story - and I did find him to be fundamentally dishonest, although not has bad as either Clinton.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:27 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Makes two of us.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:28 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

There are many of us in the middle between the political extremes of either party and if the Dems keep up their pointless attacks and undermining of Trump our duly elected President I suspect the Left will be hearing from us again in 2020.
Trump undermines himself.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-11-2018, 12:29 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The country right now is more polarized than at any time during Obama's eight years. That's on Trump.

I think you are wrong on that. The country was quite polarized after Ferguson riots, Baltimore and the whole Traven debacle. Then , towards the end of his presidency all the comments from him and HRC just pushed many of us further right.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
me either. Why would anyone care?

Old 06-11-2018, 12:36 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
You are probably right on that one. Obama did NOT save the auto industry. Obama saved the current US automakers. The US auto industry, after the shake out of the reboot that even you agree was needed, likely would have come through just fine. GM and Ford, well, not so much.

I realize that you personally benefitted from Obama's actions in bailing out the legacy automakers. It's perfectly understandable that you'd therefore be inclined to look favorably upon those actions. I just don't think that those actions were necessarily what was beneficial long-term for the country as a whole. It is not the job of the government in a country with a capitalist economy to "save" specific corporations. If a certain company has put itself into a position where it cannot survive the current market conditions, then that company should go under to free up market share for newer companies that can compete more efficiently and profitably.

More to the point of this thread--I am a center-right individual who did vote for Trump. I don't feel beholden to either party, though. IMO, Obama was a mixed bag, much like most of the individuals who hold the office of President. Without getting too much into detail, I think in most cases he was generally well meaning, but really didn't achieve good results. Compared to the current occupant, he certainly is more knowledgeable, more articulate, and possesses MUCH more integrity and human decency.

My mistake, I should have specified the "US auto industry". And for the record I was against the bail out of both the auto companies and the banks. Working for one of the Detroit 3 now and I can still see many of the old bad habits still in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies