Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 07:55 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,038,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I get what you are saying but living in a red state already sucks for those of us who don't support Trump and who don't fit in with the dominant religious culture. I would like nothing more than to move but I can't afford to right now.

I am interested to see though what happens with the religious right and the GOP after Roe is reversed. Abortion is primarily the reason many vote Republican and while there are other issues like gay marriage and getting prayer/Bible reading back into public schools that will drive religious voters, none of them quite have the "rally the troops" effect that abortion does.
It's going to be such a disgusting mess. The far-right pretends to be "pro-life," but they really are just "pro-fetus." After you're born, they couldn't care less about you, particularly if you are poor, a minority, or even just working class. They'll toss you a gun and say "figure it out!" and then act shocked when violence and poverty overruns everything.

At this point, I'd happily cede the right-wing thugs the deep south after allowing plenty of time and funding for people to move to the nation of their choice. They can have their disgusting, gun-riddled, ignorance-driven theocracy, and we can have a sane nation where everyone has human rights and no clowns are mouthing off about the dangers of "Shariah law" while trying to put "bible law" into place. Their theocracy will be broke within a decade, and we'll have to build a wall (ironically!) to keep the red-neck plague out of the actual United States, but that may be the best solution to prevent them from ruining everything.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:06 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,788,713 times
Well, it's going to suck for those of us who live in conservative states. At least I live in a liberal city - so it'll be more tolerable when things turn South.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:29 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Tyranny of the majority? Republicans remind us endlessly the the minority rule we have now is more patriotic.

You don't even know what I am talking about.

Quote:
I truly want and expect Roe V. Wade to be overturned and Republicans to own it. Time will tell, so all the anger and rage of taking Trump at his word is misplaced.
So do I, but competently alien to many, based upon the basic principle of law not a few judges for life.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Well, it's going to suck for those of us who live in conservative states. At least I live in a liberal city - so it'll be more tolerable when things turn South.

It will if you need an abortion. But you have all those generous liberals who really care about this issue who will no doubt assist. I mean I really hope they have not become complacent having the federal da guberment and other people's money take care of it all.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
It's going to be such a disgusting mess. The far-right pretends to be "pro-life," but they really are just "pro-fetus." After you're born, they couldn't care less about you, particularly if you are poor, a minority, or even just working class. They'll toss you a gun and say "figure it out!" and then act shocked when violence and poverty overruns everything.
What are you babbling about now? The "far-right" doesn't think it should be legal to murder new born babies either. Expanding this into cradle to grave leftest blow hard BS just makes the left look like the fools they are. This is why the left are complete losers. You prop up emotional charged far flung arguments. This is coming from me, a pro choice position.

Quote:
At this point, I'd happily cede the right-wing thugs the deep south after allowing plenty of time and funding for people to move to the nation of their choice. They can have their disgusting, gun-riddled, ignorance-driven theocracy, and we can have a sane nation where everyone has human rights and no clowns are mouthing off about the dangers of "Shariah law" while trying to put "bible law" into place. Their theocracy will be broke within a decade, and we'll have to build a wall (ironically!) to keep the red-neck plague out of the actual United States, but that may be the best solution to prevent them from ruining everything.
At this point I am not expecting much from the brained drained left that is trying to import the very thing they claim to hate. Hispanics and Islam are socially conservative. They are not into women's rights and abortion on demand . They are going to do exactly what you hate. They are also far more big da guberment then I am so I will hate their politics as well. The religious right and tea party was swept aside by the left you lost in the rust belt. Yet you still fail to understand this , even today when its blatantly obvious . Do you think it was white evangelicals in California that blocked gay marriage? No, it was blacks, yet you have this simplistic us vs them mythology that will continue to destroy you political position. I thought the Republicans were the most pathetic losers ever. I was wrong.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:07 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,788,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
It will if you need an abortion. But you have all those generous liberals who really care about this issue who will no doubt assist. I mean I really hope they have not become complacent having the federal da guberment and other people's money take care of it all.
Abortion is only one issue. I expect that social conservatives will become even more emboldened in the coming years.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:12 AM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
...Do you have any idea of the simple principle of state government over a federal tyranny of the majority?
I’ve never understood, why at the state level, “da guberment” is OK, while at the federal level, it’s pernicious and evil. OK, my state restricts such-and-such, so if that irritates me, I can move. Right? Well, selling my house and finding a new job is no easier if I move from Ohio to Michigan, than if I move from Ohio to Monaco. I still pay the same real-estate sales commission, and I still use the internet to find a job. Why then not use similar reasoning, to say that if the federal government does something that annoys me, I could just move abroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And their goal is to make it murder as per federal law, and outlaw it for everyone from conception on.
The concern is that the anti-abortion lobby wants to ban abortion nationwide, using the power and gravitas of the federal government. “States’ Rights” is a fine thing, in matters where the desire is for one’s state to do a certain thing, that the feds prohibit. But “States’ Rights” is discarded, when some state out there, does a thing that’s offensive to the sensibilities of advocates in another state.

Take for example the drinking-age, of 21. In theory, this is set by the states. Yet is there any state in America, where the drinking-age is under 21? No, because setting a lower age-barrier would cut federal highway funding for said state. The same weapon could be wielded in the matter of abortion: go ahead, blue-state, and keep abortion legal… but consequently forego federal healthcare assistance, education-assistance and the like.

Quote:
I don't understand the repeated phrase "da guberment". What does that mean exactly?
It evidently means that them there scientists at NIH in Atlanta, and career-diplomats in DC. As opposed to our local government, who are righteous farming-folk, who meet in the local assembly only in those brief respites from walking behind the ox pulling the plow.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:46 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
You want something that will not happen.
Not only won't the SC overturn Roe, but the op must not know there are Republican Governors and legislatures in states that usually go blue in prez elections. What about the purple states that go strong R in a particular election. The op and others must think the blue states they live in will forever be blue, and must figure they and all the women they know will always live in 'choice' states. And they don't give a rat's behind about the millions of women who for one reason or another live in red and purple states. I give this whole notion an A+++++ for cockamamieness.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:41 AM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Think about this. Republicans have been using abortion as a rallying cry for decades. They fundraise off it, they legislate off it, it is their goofsraba.

If abortion goes back to the states, eight states have already made it legal outside of Roe V. Wade. To find out where a specific state stands, a chart is available at the bottom of this link.

https://www.guttmacher.org/state-pol...cy-absence-roe

Now think about this further. Trump supporters get what they want, abortion illegal in red states and their dreams of a theocracy. Trump promised them abortion would go back to the states and they said the Supreme Court was their biggest driver. Let them have abortion.

After abortion is illegal in red states, and maybe they add some restrictions to businesses serving gays, the red states will set themselves up to being very unappealing to larger companies such as tech. Red states bleed from the eyes at the thought of a tech company moving there but their own draconian policies will keep them away.

Further, won't it be such a pleasure at not hearing about abortion from these people?

Won't it be a delight to see Republicans lose the abortion fundraiser motivation?

That alone is beautiful. Who are they going to scaremonger if they themselves control abortion in their states?

Let Republicans have abortion. I promise, it will hurt them more than help them.

As it is, Republicans control all aspects of American government. There is no one they can blame for anything.

Taking their big abortion motivator is like draining their gas tank.
No. Are you thinking about the women who will be denied abortions,have no safe place to go to, and end up in botched attempts and dying from it. NO WAY. It is not a political issue, it is about women's lives, it is about children born unwanted and abused.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:42 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

The left (they're all far left these days) sees nothing wrong with beating a baby to death - you have absolutely no moral high ground to complain about anyone.

Woman Has Boyfriend Punch Stomach Repeatedly To Kill Unborn Baby, County won't charge with murder

It's so funny to see liberals rant about things they know nothing about except what CNN told them. Red neck plague? Your liberal cities are the cancer killing America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies