Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 03:10 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,625,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/07/24/...fs-report.html

I thought trade wars were good and easy to win?
Don't be obtuse, unless you want America to lose.

To correct the trade imbalances and the unfair practices by countries who have taken advantage of us for decades, we need to supplement our businesses during the hard times. Once we get things back to a fair fight, the subsides can go away.
Many people do not realize how protectionist other countries are, how they manipulate their currencies, fund their state controlled oil companies, pay slave wages, steal intellectual properties that take our companies years and billions of dollars in R&D to come to market, etc., etc., etc.

Thank goodness Trump is finally doing something about it!

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 03:11 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,567,713 times
More welfare for the farmers. Will now have to stick it even more to the poor.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Yep, them Trump voters sure do love GOVERNMENT HANDOUTS, oops i mean WELFARE, Trumpers love taking WELFARE payments from fed, here we see Trump supporters taking tens of billions (it might go as high as 30 billion) in WELFARE from the federal gov and that is on TOP of the hundreds of billions in WELFARE Republicans are taking every year. Trumper deflect and pretend they don't get WELFARE, but this is just another in the long long list of WELFARE payments the Trump supporters ask for and receive.

It is what they do, Trump's supporters love to complain about federal handouts while they are getting lots and lots of WELFARE . I guess acting like victims is working for trumpers .
Don't be silly. It's not welfare if you're a Republican. Or white.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:18 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Don't be obtuse, unless you want America to lose.

To correct the trade imbalances and the unfair practices by countries who have taken advantage of us for decades, we need to supplement our businesses during the hard times. Once we get things back to a fair fight, the subsides can go away.
Many people do not realize how protectionist other countries are, how they manipulate their currencies, fund their state controlled oil companies, pay slave wages, steal intellectual properties that take our companies years and billions of dollars in R&D to come to market, etc., etc., etc.

Thank goodness Trump is finally doing something about it!`
Lose what? That's the problem with Trump and Cult 45. All they care about is being able to say they are winning. Winning what?

Our economy is doing fine and had been going upwards since Obama pulled us out of the Great Recession. Trump had no reason to start a trade war. And if he cannot enact his policies without paying people off (who happen to be his voters), his policies should be shelved.

But this is outrageous. If it hurt people who didn't vote for him, he would not care a bit. But he's got to hang on to that rural base, so gives them bribes (er subsidies) so they won't get hurt by his disastrous policies and be mad at him.

This is why so many people feel he is not their president.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:21 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Maine’s lobster industry, a staple of the state’s economy, is becoming a casualty in the burgeoning trade war between the U.S. and China.

Maine's lobster industry fears US-China trade war will hurt business, raise prices | Fox News

There aren't that many jobs in Maine to begin with. Now with Trump's tariffs, the Chinese are putting 25% tariffs on lobsters. Thanks for taking jobs away--the lobster catchers, the guys who make the traps, the people who make the hats, the guys who make the buoys and rope...20% of last years lobster came from the USA. Not so anymore.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maine’s lobster industry, a staple of the state’s economy, is becoming a casualty in the burgeoning trade war between the U.S. and China.

Maine's lobster industry fears US-China trade war will hurt business, raise prices | Fox News

There aren't that many jobs in Maine to begin with. Now with Trump's tariffs, the Chinese are putting 25% tariffs on lobsters. Thanks for taking jobs away--the lobster catchers, the guys who make the traps, the people who make the hats, the guys who make the buoys and rope...20% of last years lobster came from the USA. Not so anymore.
Don't worry--if enough people in Maine voted for him, he'll give them a few billion, too. If not--too bad.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:38 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Lose what? That's the problem with Trump and Cult 45. All they care about is being able to say they are winning. Winning what?

Our economy is doing fine and had been going upwards since Obama pulled us out of the Great Recession. Trump had no reason to start a trade war. And if he cannot enact his policies without paying people off (who happen to be his voters), his policies should be shelved.

But this is outrageous. If it hurt people who didn't vote for him, he would not care a bit. But he's got to hang on to that rural base, so gives them bribes (er subsidies) so they won't get hurt by his disastrous policies and be mad at him.

This is why so many people feel he is not their president.
Obviously tens of millions of people feel differently than you do.

However I find it hard to believe that if we are to square away our trade imbalances and other things I mentioned in my post you responded to, those who hate Trump cannot see the merit in keeping the industries afloat in the mean time.

---

BTW - Separate question, and try to take your partisan hat off for the moment.
China has apparently said they are targeting industries in states that supported Trump. Do you feel as if that is an attempt of a hostile foreign government to influence our elections?

---

Back to your post. Much of your view might be based on how you perceive what makes up our economy.
[I will note how you seem to give Obama credit for that. But I guess you must reluctantly give some credit to Trump, because liberal economists like your beloved Krugman were so wrong about where we would be today with Trump]
You are likely forgetting or ignoring that our countries industrial base has been decimated over 20+ years now, and while the stock market goes up and down, many Americans lost their jobs and in some cases their careers.
Trump is trying to rebuild some of it, and it will be a daunting challenge, unless we can even the playing field.

I just hope you are not one of these Bill Maher types where you hope for bad economic times in an effort to stop Trump;

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...recession.html

`

Old 07-24-2018, 03:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Obviously tens of millions of people feel differently than you do.

However I find it hard to believe that if we are to square away our trade imbalances and other things I mentioned in my post you responded to, those who hate Trump cannot see the merit in keeping the industries afloat in the mean time.

---

BTW - Separate question, and try to take your partisan hat off for the moment.
China has apparently said they are targeting industries in states that supported Trump. Do you feel as if that is an attempt of a hostile foreign government to influence our elections?

---

Back to your post. Much of your view might be based on how you perceive what makes up our economy.
[I will note how you seem to give Obama credit for that. But I guess you must reluctantly give some credit to Trump, because liberal economists like your beloved Krugman were so wrong about where we would be today with Trump]
You are likely forgetting or ignoring that our countries industrial base has been decimated over 20+ years now, and while the stock market goes up and down, many Americans lost their jobs and in some cases their careers.
Trump is trying to rebuild some of it, and it will be a daunting challenge, unless we can even the playing field.

I just hope you are not one of these Bill Maher types where you hope for bad economic times in an effort to stop Trump;

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...recession.html
I think China targeting Trump country is a beautiful thing and displays their understanding of where the problem lies.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
So the lefty nutjobs love China and their cheap subsidized goods, but when the US tries to level the playing field and obviously offers assistance to industries that will be damaged in the process they hate it.

Ok. Makes perfect sense. If you’re a lefty nut job.
Huh? Lefties love China? Please.

Excuse me, but it was the Congressional GOP nut jobs who quietly pulled back on restrictions for ZTE, because Trump plays favorites and wants to provide China with more jobs. And it was Donald Trump who bought Chinese steel and manufactured products in China. MCGA!

"...Congress is backing down from its threat to reinstate harsh penalties on China's ZTE. It's a win for President Donald Trump, who recently eased restrictions on the company..."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/23/polit...ill/index.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1KD04S

Old 07-24-2018, 03:52 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I think China targeting Trump country is a beautiful thing and displays their understanding of where the problem lies.
The USA initiated an economic war with a number of countries, and I believe all of them are retaliating with the same strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies