Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 03:55 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The USA entered into an economic war with a number of countries, and I believe all of them are retaliating with the same strategy.
I give them a ton of credit for doing it that way. When Trump pulled the US from the Paris Accord, blue states agreed to continue supporting the principles of the agreement. Seattle is only two hours from Vancouver and we go back and forth constantly. They know blue states don't agree with the way Trump is treating Canada. The most logical thing for these countries is to target Trump supporters specifically, which is why it's especially amusing that they put a large tariff on Kentucky bourbon with a big smooch to Mitch McConnell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 04:09 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,960,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I give them a ton of credit for doing it that way. When Trump pulled the US from the Paris Accord, blue states agreed to continue supporting the principles of the agreement. Seattle is only two hours from Vancouver and we go back and forth constantly. They know blue states don't agree with the way Trump is treating Canada. The most logical thing for these countries is to target Trump supporters specifically, which is why it's especially amusing that they put a large tariff on Kentucky bourbon with a big smooch to Mitch McConnell.
Absolutely, and Heintz ketchup too. Trump is now digging a deeper hole by increasing the farm subsidies by 50%, which many would think means that all industry impacted by his tariff war should be equally subsidized. It's a huge financial mess.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
The old party of being against government picking winners and losers, for free trade, morality, decreased spending, fiscal responsibility, fighting back against those that attack us, strong alliances, are no longer for any of those things. What a difference one candidate makes to show the world you never had any real core principles to begin with
This, exactly.

There is absolutely no way for 45’s supporters to justify this. None.
And any attempts to do so will be seen as ignorance and/or hypocrisy.
The end.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:28 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Republican senators react:

“President Donald Trump set off a wave of outrage on Tuesday among Republican lawmakers, who accused the president of authorizing a “bailout” and “welfare” for Americans caught in the crosshairs of his own tariffs.
Sen. John Thune (R-SD) said the Department of Agriculture’s decision is an acknowledgement of the “unintended consequences” and “collateral damage” of Trump’s protectionist policies, while Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) said Trump was creating a “Soviet type economy.””

https://www.thedailybeast.com/republ...-work?ref=home

Old 07-24-2018, 04:29 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Huh? Lefties love China? Please.
You need to think like a Trumpista: China bad. Lefties bad. Hence, Lefties and China in cahoots.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:37 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
It's welfare cheese all over again. Except this time will be fruits, nuts, rice, legumes, and some meats.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:37 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Obviously tens of millions of people feel differently than you do.
And tens of millions of people agree with me.

Quote:
However I find it hard to believe that if we are to square away our trade imbalances and other things I mentioned in my post you responded to, those who hate Trump cannot see the merit in keeping the industries afloat in the mean time.
Why should my taxes go to welfare for farmers, that need that welfare because of Trump's insecurity and need to fight wars--any wars? Trade wars will do.

Did he consider who would be hurt by his headstrong policies that many advised against? No. Did he think, or does he ever think about consequences? No.

Should there be consequences? Yes. He's already done what he can to destroy the environment, alienate our allies, take away land and resources to build an unnecessary wall, play to corporate greed, cage children and hurt his non-voters in blue states any way he can (e.g. making sure they get screwed by his tax policies). He doesn't give a damn who is hurt, unless it is his rural voting base.

No I do not believe we the taxpayers should pay for Trump's mistakes and bad policies just to keep his voters afloat.

Quote:
BTW - Separate question, and try to take your partisan hat off for the moment. China has apparently said they are targeting industries in states that supported Trump. Do you feel as if that is an attempt of a hostile foreign government to influence our elections?
No--I think China is protecting themselves and beating Trump at his own game. They funded the Iraq War for us--maybe they don't like being attacked with a trade war. Interfering with our election? How?

Quote:
Back to your post. Much of your view might be based on how you perceive what makes up our economy.[I will note how you seem to give Obama credit for that. But I guess you must reluctantly give some credit to Trump, because liberal economists like your beloved Krugman were so wrong about where we would be today with Trump] You are likely forgetting or ignoring that our countries industrial base has been decimated over 20+ years now, and while the stock market goes up and down, many Americans lost their jobs and in some cases their careers. Trump is trying to rebuild some of it, and it will be a daunting challenge, unless we can even the playing field.
They are losing those jobs because they are working in dying industries and refuse to retrain or take lower wages, like many others have in order to have employment. It is called progress.

Quote:
I just hope you are not one of these Bill Maher types where you hope for bad economic times in an effort to stop Trump;
I'm not hoping for anything. Trump has already destroyed things that I care about, so the economy? Whatever. I've fortunately done well under Obama and still am--Trump cannot hurt me economically, and I feel sorry for those that he does hurt. But if his policies hurt his voters--that's the way the cookie crumbles. I didn't vote for him. If he sinks us with his fragile ego, so be it. I am hoping for a blue wave this fall to control him, as I consider him to be an ignorant fool who governs like a boy king, while the spineless GOP cowards in Congress lap it up.[/quote]

Old 07-24-2018, 04:38 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) said Trump was creating a “Soviet type economy.”
Come now comrade, we know that this is a great thing! Under comrade Putins Soviet type economy leadership he is making Russia Great Again! MRGA! MRGA!

Seriously though....ouch. The wording of that response says that even the Republicans are starting to get nervous about trump and Russia.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:40 PM

1,896 posts, read 812,494 times
Quote:
Don't be obtuse, unless you want America to lose.

To correct the trade imbalances and the unfair practices by countries who have taken advantage of us for decades, we need to supplement our businesses during the hard times. Once we get things back to a fair fight, the subsides can go away.
Many people do not realize how protectionist other countries are, how they manipulate their currencies, fund their state controlled oil companies, pay slave wages, steal intellectual properties that take our companies years and billions of dollars in R&D to come to market, etc., etc., etc.

Thank goodness Trump is finally doing something about it!

`

Many do not realize how protectionist the US is and how the US govt tilts the favor over to US industries.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:40 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Don't be obtuse, unless you want America to lose.

To correct the trade imbalances and the unfair practices by countries who have taken advantage of us for decades, we need to supplement our businesses during the hard times. Once we get things back to a fair fight, the subsides can go away.
Many people do not realize how protectionist other countries are, how they manipulate their currencies, fund their state controlled oil companies, pay slave wages, steal intellectual properties that take our companies years and billions of dollars in R&D to come to market, etc., etc., etc.

Thank goodness Trump is finally doing something about it!

`
That's all well and good except no bailouts! Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies