Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 07:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,719,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Sorry I have too much personal knowledge on this subject having had to pay taxes on foreign earned income while living abroad for many years. You do in fact have to pay taxes for being a US citizen. There is an exemption on the first $100K.

Most countries follow the rule you mentioned but we are one of the exceptions that taxes foreign earned income.
Damn???? If you say so. I guess my dad never made enough.

Who the hell in their right mind would move away and pay the penalty to be triple taxed?
2005 must have been different times?????? and the statute of limitations.

No wonder Hollywood talked big about moving to Canada, New Zealand and Australia, but never left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:20 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,925,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Who the hell in their right mind would move away and pay the penalty to be triple taxed?
2005 must have been different times??????

No wonder Hollywood talked big about moving to Canada, New Zealand and Australia, but never left.
Ex-Pats definitely have it rough in that regard. I have multiple friends working abroad, and their taxes are a complete nightmare (especially since they're working FOR a US-based company, but physically living elsewhere).

Skirting taxes when abroad can be a serious issue.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He is a fair judges as are almost a complete majority at the federal level, something we can agree on.

Its not a rarity unless you are a Trump supporter.
This is par for the coarse of the Bunkerville Trial and the Oregon Standoff Trial.
The prosecution was backhanded by the Judge.... Eventually.
This is right off the bat.... Whoa!

Old 08-02-2018, 07:30 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,705,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
This trial in not about collusion it's about his lifestyle that he wanted to keep up with since he was going broke from all the expensive homes and things he bought and his Ukrainian money dried up. He was working for Trump for free and we know no one works for free so he sought out bank loans with false income documents and made promises of high level military position to the bank President.
Russian Money. Manafort was lobbying AGAINST a free Ukraine and for it to be a Russian Controlled state...that what was he was paid for.

"made more than $60 million consulting for a Russia-backed political party"

You are correct - this trial is for bank fraud only and I think the next one for money laundering. Serious charges. But there is a missing link here somewhere - or a bunch of them.

Anyone with 1/2 a brain knows "what are the odds?" of so much Russian money and Russia-tied insiders being closely involved in a campaign AND in an administration. One of them...OK. Maybe two of them...possible...but, dang, everything is Russia, Russia Russia.

Manafort had to have been promised returns FAR above the 60 million he took from the Russians...to work for FREE to get Trump elected. This is not a charitable individual....and being in debt for his crazy lifestyle, the last thing he would do is work for free.

Then you have Gates, a senior white house advisor. Then you have Flynn. Then you have the chick with the NRA funds. LOTS more of them....the Trump Tower meeting, etc.

Then you have Trump, admittedly, saying that the Russians are the biggest investors in their Empire. Then you have Trump getting "great deals" on flipping some real estate to a Russian (not a valid transaction) and making tens of millions instantly. On top of this you have the "legal" vast Trump connections to the thousands of Russians buying his condos in Sunny Isles Beach...the town is pretty much built with Russian money and populated by thousands of Russians and even used as "Russian Anchor Baby Incubator" - with Trump properties offering such.

https://therealdeal.com/miami/2018/0...sles-new-york/

Something smells in River City.....and it ain't fish!

We may never know the extent of all of this...or we may know it well after the fact, but this is not "Q" or "Pizzagate", but real world stuff happening in front of our eyes.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Ex-Pats definitely have it rough in that regard. I have multiple friends working abroad, and their taxes are a complete nightmare (especially since they're working FOR a US-based company, but physically living elsewhere).

Skirting taxes when abroad can be a serious issue.

I don't think that is fair, but that is just my opinion and feelings we should not be slave to our government.

It is like the bum on the corner, cleaning your care windshield and then demanding money from you. If you don't pay, he kicks your vehicle and puts a dent in it.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,705,805 times
Quote:

2005 must have been different times?????? and the statute of limitations.
Do you think Manafort paid taxes in Ukraine? I really doubt it. He was paid by underhanded Russians who were trying to take the Ukraine back. The money was likely direct from the Russian Treasury.

Hard to imagine that he paid ANY taxes on it.

You don't have to be too smart to understand that you can't make 10's of millions of dollars from a dubious russian source... and then just take it to the USA and buy things without ANY income tax....

After all, his company was in the USA, right? Yes. His company, his bookkeeper, accountants, etc - all here.

Heck, I have to break out foreign money even in my small brokerage accounts....

Old 08-02-2018, 07:38 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,741,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Calling it. The judge has no patience for the prosecutorial missteps. It will never reach the jury imho.
I said that after the first day of testimony. The case was weak when Muller finagled an indictment. He really thought Manafort would flip. It wouldn't surprise me if Gates is put on the stand and he has nothing.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:40 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,142,084 times
The scary thing here, at least to me, is that people don't recognize a strong courtroom which holds attorneys accountable. That is what is scary.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:40 PM

7,193 posts, read 4,778,775 times
Quote:
Manafort did not live in the USA and had not for a few years, when he had those bank accounts or made that money.

That money was then transferred into his US account and foreign accounts closed, once back in the USA and he set up a residence. (it was not immediate the day he returned, but a year afterward)
No, he is not required to pay income tax on that money.
He was not a US resident and you are not taxed for being a US Citizen.
Where did you get this from?

Please stop making stuff up.

Manafort filed taxes in the US and he lied on his tax forms.

He’s a tax cheat at the least.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:42 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,608,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

https://therealdeal.com/miami/2018/0...sles-new-york/

Something smells in River City.....and it ain't fish!

We may never know the extent of all of this...or we may know it well after the fact, but this is not "Q" or "Pizzagate", but real world stuff happening in front of our eyes.

And all the while, with this mountain of evidence becoming known, the Trump supporters are still denying, deflecting, whatabouting and trying to defend the indefensible. Are they like Energizer bunnies, that just keep going and going? Or will they grasp reality at some point and retreat into the shadows? The Manafort Trial, that is catching the headlines now, is just the preface to what is to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies