Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 11:23 AM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Bos2Iad and BigD may have some respite finally now ( even though corporations know how to find a way to squeeze employees)

Now in retaliation will they impose some restrictions on amazon, uber, facebook etc to boost desi startups like ola, paytm etc?? that will be a true war then.
What the matter, shan? Aren't you going to "have some respite"? I figured that you already had a green card. Or are you still an H1-B?

Old 06-23-2019, 05:34 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Donald Trump is a blowhard. He hasn't done anything to restore jobs to Americans or to stem the torrent of low-skilled illegal immigrants AND "high-skilled" employment-based immigrants, not to mention the tidal wave of foreign students from India and China. All of these are a threat to our economic and social stability as a nation.

He's all talk.

His policy is such a mystery to me tbh. OTOH at times it's like he has taken some strong action, the H-1B rejections and requests for evidence did go up a lot under Trump and more and more of the Indians brought over clearly for cheap labor and indentured servitude, replacing Americans to earn slave wages (Disney, HP and Oracle-style) were sent home. OTOH his actions overall have been aggravating weak, he still hasn't gone forward and taken the simple step of repealing Obama's executive order on the H-4 H-1B visa spouses, he still hasn't taken the tough action to curb abuses and shut down the Indian body shops, he's still talking a path to citizenship rather than the smart move of making it clear the H-1B is a temporary work visa only, which would do a lot to reduce abuses by preventing the dangling carrot of the green card and so encouraging H-1B's to demand reasonable wages for their jobs.

I feel like a lot of the Trump admin's strong actions against the H-1B were due to Jeff Sessions and Francis Cissna. There are new personnel in those positions who are supposedly even tougher on the H-1B and immigration than Sessions and Cissna, but will they actually take the stronger action needed to shut down this abusive visa? We'll see. Trump should take a much stronger stand against this wildly unpopular visa, doing so will boost wages and jobs for Americans, across all states, and strongly improve Trump's reelection victory options. Simply political common sense.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:42 AM

550 posts, read 368,659 times
Excellent post Munna21977. Learned something.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
He is. May be he is not as extreme as you . Youvwant h1b s deported in 30 days. He may love to do it too, but thats why there are different branches of govt. While we are talking he is already going to deport millions of illegal aliens.
No he's not. He already backed down off his pledge to do so while AOC argues on Twitter about what constitutes a "concentration camp."

For the record, migrant detention centers are not concentration camps. AOC is an idiot.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:06 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
H1-B workers are entirely necessary. Try hiring an American software engineer, and you're going to have a lot of issues. Everytime we try to hire, the process takes 6 months or more. And the amount of qualified American born talent is insanely low.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
H1-B workers are entirely necessary. Try hiring an American software engineer, and you're going to have a lot of issues. Everytime we try to hire, the process takes 6 months or more. And the amount of qualified American born talent is insanely low.
I work in IT and I disagree.

To use the word "talent" when describing our H1Bs is somewhat of an exaggeration. They know how to type (kind of), they can turn on a computer, they can complete a set of instructions with some hand-holding.

I can count on one hand the number of H1B "engineers" I've worked with who could program their way out of a wet paper bag. They don't know what they're doing. I could write a book on how incompetent they are and how much technical debt they accumulate, which leads to millions of dollars wasted on faster processors, more memory, and more disk space to accommodate their terrible designs (not to mention the overhead of hiring people to manage the physical servers or paying for cloud services).

On the other hand, imagine you're 18 years old. One of your parents works in IT, or a friend's mom or dad does. You've heard the dinner table talk about what's happening in the industry. Maybe you've done an internship or summer job at one of those companies, or at least tagged along to the office for a day here and there over the years. You see that IT departments are predominantly south Asian and you hear Hindi or Telugu more than you hear English. Would you want to get into that field or would you maybe have second thoughts?

I'll say this much...if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have gotten into IT at all.

As for our American-born talent, it is going to waste. A very large percentage of US graduates with STEM degrees end up working outside of STEM. Why? It's not hard to see why...all the jobs are going to OPTs and H1Bs.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:42 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
His policy is such a mystery to me tbh. OTOH at times it's like he has taken some strong action, the H-1B rejections and requests for evidence did go up a lot under Trump and more and more of the Indians brought over clearly for cheap labor and indentured servitude, replacing Americans to earn slave wages (Disney, HP and Oracle-style) were sent home. OTOH his actions overall have been aggravating weak, he still hasn't gone forward and taken the simple step of repealing Obama's executive order on the H-4 H-1B visa spouses, he still hasn't taken the tough action to curb abuses and shut down the Indian body shops, he's still talking a path to citizenship rather than the smart move of making it clear the H-1B is a temporary work visa only, which would do a lot to reduce abuses by preventing the dangling carrot of the green card and so encouraging H-1B's to demand reasonable wages for their jobs.

I feel like a lot of the Trump admin's strong actions against the H-1B were due to Jeff Sessions and Francis Cissna. There are new personnel in those positions who are supposedly even tougher on the H-1B and immigration than Sessions and Cissna, but will they actually take the stronger action needed to shut down this abusive visa? We'll see. Trump should take a much stronger stand against this wildly unpopular visa, doing so will boost wages and jobs for Americans, across all states, and strongly improve Trump's reelection victory options. Simply political common sense.
You are talking as f they are some terrorists or some drug cartels. That needs to be shut down right away :d

But remember my friend, therevis lot of money in wars and outsourcing.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:50 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
No he's not. He already backed down off his pledge to do so while AOC argues on Twitter about what constitutes a "concentration camp."

For the record, migrant detention centers are not concentration camps. AOC is an idiot.
Even her top aide /advisor is indian and probably a h1b.

Concentration camp is too strong a word and exaggeration imo. usa has never been that way.
Typical liberal bs.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:00 PM

932 posts, read 543,590 times
Quote:
I work in IT and I disagree.

To use the word "talent" when describing our H1Bs is somewhat of an exaggeration. They know how to type (kind of), they can turn on a computer, they can complete a set of instructions with some hand-holding.

I can count on one hand the number of H1B "engineers" I've worked with who could program their way out of a wet paper bag. They don't know what they're doing. I could write a book on how incompetent they are and how much technical debt they accumulate, which leads to millions of dollars wasted on faster processors, more memory, and more disk space to accommodate their terrible designs (not to mention the overhead of hiring people to manage the physical servers or paying for cloud services).

On the other hand, imagine you're 18 years old. One of your parents works in IT, or a friend's mom or dad does. You've heard the dinner table talk about what's happening in the industry. Maybe you've done an internship or summer job at one of those companies, or at least tagged along to the office for a day here and there over the years. You see that IT departments are predominantly south Asian and you hear Hindi or Telugu more than you hear English. Would you want to get into that field or would you maybe have second thoughts?

I'll say this much...if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have gotten into IT at all.

As for our American-born talent, it is going to waste. A very large percentage of US graduates with STEM degrees end up working outside of STEM. Why? It's not hard to see why...all the jobs are going to OPTs and H1Bs.
Businesses are there to make money....not do charity work.
He is saying that it takes 6 months to fill a position. Thats his experience.
You can't out rightly say that its false.

If competent US workers are present, they should apply.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
Businesses are there to make money....not do charity work.
He is saying that it takes 6 months to fill a position. Thats his experience.
You can't out rightly say that its false.

If competent US workers are present, they should apply.
They do. Their resumes are sent straight to the trash can because IT work is becoming increasingly contractor-driven and project-driven. The number of FTEs here is far smaller than the number of contractors (we're outnumbered at least 2 to 1). The companies doing all the placement for contractors are either big Indian firms (like Infosys) or small boutique outfits run by alumni from big Indian firms. Once they learn the ropes of the OPT & H1B scam all they need to do is leverage connections, pay a lawyer, and spin up the company.

After doing that they'll stack as many H1B applications as they can afford to and pack their ranks with low-paid contract workers, filling in gaps with offshore workers back in India so they can "chase the sun."

I know you see this. Stop lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies