Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 04:48 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
It was their land, they lived there, any aggression was started by us. Just like the Palestinians, they had a right to fight back and take back their land.

Who's "us"? Those people are all dead now. No, it wasn't their land it was a wide open frontier and anyone who migrated there had the right to settle here. There was no land to take back as the Amerindians didn't believe in land ownership and today they have their sovereign territories and are all full-fledged U.S. citizens with all the rights as the rest of us. Get over your victim mentality and bring yourself up to the present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 04:55 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
And under the rules of conquest prevalent at the time, might made right. Therefore it was correct under the operating morality of the era to take what was wanted and push primitive savages off land they were squatting on. And they were squatting. There was no system of private property rights. Therefore no ownership. Now, 300 years later, nobody is owed anything. Anyone born today is a fresh new individual who is DUE NOTHING. So let’s just drop it and stay in the present. The idea that my tax dollars are going to go to a present distant descendant of someone who was wronged, if they were wronged, from 300 years ago? Absolutely screw that. You only wrong past historical wrongs to direct victims. And in 2018 there are no victims, just free people. Some of whom want to whine and look to make themselves present day victims of the ancient wrongs of antiquity. Not happening. Descendants of slaves, or Indians, or anyone else are due nothing. They are born into a free country today and are responsible for themselves. No stealing from other current people who never did anything wrong and will not accept these phony fake fraudulent claims of debt.

Good post and I would only add that this also applies to Mexicans with a Reconquista agenda. Mexico was paid for any territories they held and forgiven many debts. They have no stake in what are U.S. territories now. Our government back then could have just taken it all by winning the war and without any compensation but they didn't.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
I agree but even more worried about the 4000 treaties they made and broke
These are the same guys tha cut my pension check every month

Old 09-17-2018, 05:24 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
And under the rules of conquest prevalent at the time, might made right. Therefore it was correct under the operating morality of the era to take what was wanted and push primitive savages off land they were squatting on. And they were squatting. There was no system of private property rights. Therefore no ownership. Now, 300 years later, nobody is owed anything. Anyone born today is a fresh new individual who is DUE NOTHING. So let’s just drop it and stay in the present. The idea that my tax dollars are going to go to a present distant descendant of someone who was wronged, if they were wronged, from 300 years ago? Absolutely screw that. You only wrong past historical wrongs to direct victims. And in 2018 there are no victims, just free people. Some of whom want to whine and look to make themselves present day victims of the ancient wrongs of antiquity. Not happening. Descendants of slaves, or Indians, or anyone else are due nothing. They are born into a free country today and are responsible for themselves. No stealing from other current people who never did anything wrong and will not accept these phony fake fraudulent claims of debt.
Might never makes right, it is used to justify genocide.

As for property rights, that is something on statist and authoritarians believe. The law doesn’t give someone invisible control over land they don’t operate on. Personal property is what nature is based on and we should have respected the natives operation of that land instead of butchering them and writing on a paper that this land is permanently ours.

Disgusting.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:25 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Good post and I would only add that this also applies to Mexicans with a Reconquista agenda. Mexico was paid for any territories they held and forgiven many debts. They have no stake in what are U.S. territories now. Our government back then could have just taken it all by winning the war and without any compensation but they didn't.
How about if Spain Reconquista Mexico since they claimed it before and for long than Mexico has lol.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:26 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
It was their land, they lived there, any aggression was started by us. Just like the Palestinians, they had a right to fight back and take back their land.
And before I moved into the house I live in now, it was owned by someone else. Me buying it (the same as the colonists did in the document I presented to you, but you readily ignored) is a transaction in which the ownership of the land changes. It no longer belongs to that person, but to me. Assuming I bought it legally, there was no "aggression" on my part. When you moved into whatever you live in now, was there aggression on your part toward the person who used to live there? Did you somehow "wrong" him or her?

Old 09-17-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who's "us"? Those people are all dead now. No, it wasn't their land it was a wide open frontier and anyone who migrated there had the right to settle here. There was no land to take back as the Amerindians didn't believe in land ownership and today they have their sovereign territories and are all full-fledged U.S. citizens with all the rights as the rest of us. Get over your victim mentality and bring yourself up to the present.
Such BS. Did we only settle on lands that were open prairies?

Or did we also destroy Native American settlements and replace them with our own.

I dare you to deny that happened.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And before I moved into the house I live in now, it was owned by someone else. Me buying it (the same as the colonists did in the document I presented to you, but you readily ignored) is a transaction in which the ownership of the land changes. It no longer belongs to that person, but to me. Assuming I bought it legally, there was no "aggression" on my part. When you moved into whatever you live in now, was there aggression on your part toward the person who used to live there? Did you somehow "wrong" him or her?
Legal documents don’t guarantee land, that policy is only acknowledged by authoritarians. What makes that house yours is your operation on it. Anything else is just authoritarian control that is meant to control the free movement and settlement of others.

Also, are you claiming that native settlements weren’t destroyed in favor of our own settlements. I dare you to make that argument.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Might never makes right, it is used to justify genocide.

As for property rights, that is something on statist and authoritarians believe. The law doesn’t give someone invisible control over land they don’t operate on. Personal property is what nature is based on and we should have respected the natives operation of that land instead of butchering them and writing on a paper that this land is permanently ours.

Disgusting.
The Americas and the whole world was operating under the right of conquest at the time. If members of one Indian tribe came across members of another tribe or an English settlement, they would often attack. Furthermore, an Indian tribe in operating in one area often took over the area by conquest of the previous tribe.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Such BS. Did we only settle on lands that were open prairies?

Or did we also destroy Native American settlements and replace them with our own.

I dare you to deny that happened.
Hey genius, Indians destroyed English settlements too. The very first settlement was wiped out with nary a trace by genocide. The next settlement at Jamestown was attacked within days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies