Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 09:36 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,848,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
It's not a war on men at all. It's a war on the system that allows jerks to rise up to power that don't belong there. They get there based not on merit, but because they are part of a system that allows it and even encourages their rise. Has nothing to do w/ Democrats or Republicans per say. Can be in both parties.
Who gets to determine who has earned merit to be where they are? You? Your opinion?

Old 10-01-2018, 09:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Actually there is but Fox News has convinced you that since Democrats aren't supportive of a patriarchal society where women are required by law to submit to the whims of their husbands that we are trying to discriminate against men.

In the Fox News world there's no middle ground. It's just like the fact that apparently we've banned "Merry Christmas" because we don't have laws that prevent retailers from using the more inclusive "Happy Holidays."
As an aside, the Christian Puritan immigrants were the first to wage a war on Christmas when they banned public acknowledgement and merrymaking. Took nearly 250 years and tens of millions of immigrants who refused to assimilate for Christmas to become a Federal holiday.

Fast forward to 2005 when Bill O’ Reilly featured a guy hawking his book about the Liberal War on Christmas, citing things like a snowman stamp, some school districts choosing “ WinterBreak” to Christmas Break and amazon daring to wish its customers “ Happy Holidays”.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:43 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
This is fake news, I'm a man, vote Democrat, and don't feel there are any attacks on men

Old 10-01-2018, 09:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It doesn't make much difference, if half of them don't vote.
If “ I did not vote” was a candidate in 2016, it would have won by a landslide.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,848,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

In the 70’s...

I am old enough to remember being told there were ( office) jobs women could not do and males being awarded higher raises because they had families to support. Same deal for promotions.

I am old enough to remember customers declining training because the trainer was black.

I am old enough to remember restaurants declining entry to women during lunch.

I am old enough to remember the “ businessman’s lunch special.

I am old enough to remember corporate travel policies that required females to share hotel rooms.

I am old enough to remember males attributing any woman in a more senior position as having slept her way to the spot.

I could go on for pages.
So you believe no white males have ever been discriminated against?

Have you experienced or witnessed first hand the things you listed above or were you "informed" of it?

I have heard more females accuse other females of "sleeping their way to the top"than I have heard men do so.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:12 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I understand what you are saying here. But I also had men try to grope or act or speak inappropriately to me, but always knew they were just ignorant jerks, and the vast majority of men weren’t. The Dems are making it into all men.
There were horrible acts women did to men also — the main one being getting pregnant on purpose to force a boyfriend into marriage — I knew at least two young women doing that.

You are correct that the pendulum is swinging back, but I don’t believe in two wrongs making a right.....
No, we are not. I do not know a single woman or a single Democrat who has anything whatsoever against "all men."

I like most men, and I trust most men. Most men are decent and honorable. Those that are not, and those who defend them, or who express blanket dislike of women? Nope. Not so much. I do not like them or trust them. Why should I, if they dislike and distrust me?

I agree that it's awful for a young woman to get pregnant to try and trap a boyfriend, but I also think that men have just as much responsibility for avoiding an unwanted pregnancy as women, and in any case, are "shotgun weddings" still even a thing?

Old 10-01-2018, 10:49 AM

301 posts, read 189,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Wrong! To the Democrats (progressives) ALL Men are guilty just for being male.
Wrong.

Not all men are guilty of treating women like objects, property, or a means to a sexual end.

All men, however, have benefitted at some point in their lives from the systemic institution of patriarchy and privilege that being born male afforded them. I was born female and so it's a part of my every day life to be on-guard and hyper-aware of my surroundings at all times, specifically to avoid being assaulted or worse by a man on the street. The vast majority of men do not and will not ever experience this. It's a power dynamic bought and paid for by societal norms amassed over hundreds of years.

So, yes - "not all men" is absolutely correct. But with that said, it's important that all men do their best to understand this privilege, recognize it for what it is and choose to behave differently. It's important that all men be willing to listen to the experiences of women without automatically and defiantly exclaiming that they should not be lumped in. It's important for all men to be willing to shut their own mouths, take a seat, and give women the opportunity to tell their own stories.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:01 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
Wrong.

Not all men are guilty of treating women like objects, property, or a means to a sexual end.

All men, however, have benefitted at some point in their lives from the systemic institution of patriarchy and privilege that being born male afforded them. I was born female and so it's a part of my every day life to be on-guard and hyper-aware of my surroundings at all times, specifically to avoid being assaulted or worse by a man on the street. The vast majority of men do not and will not ever experience this. It's a power dynamic bought and paid for by societal norms amassed over hundreds of years.
I agree that the threat of assault/rape on women is a big problem, but how is it an institution? I don’t know if any organizations that support the threatening of women. If there are, shame on those specific organizations.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:18 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Both the accuser and the accused gave strong coached performances.

It’s possible both misremember.

Don’t think FBI is going to turn up anything beyond “ he said/ she said”.
It'll no doubt be interesting/entertaining to see what they find.

Ford welcomes the investigation.

Kavanaugh? Not so much.

He's already been caught in lies.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:20 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It isn't like that ANYMORE, and hasn't been for years. Stop living in the PAST. The past is gone, and can't be changed. Stop doing things to the people of TODAY to make up for things in the PAST.

If the left-wingers of today would internalize this message, a vast amount of the strife we're experiencing in this country would vanish into thin air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies