Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 07:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Just an honest question from a person who has no stake in this fight (male).

How many states will make abortion totally or at least very hard to get once Roe vs. Wade gets overturned? Will it be instant, or gradual? (laws having to be passed and so forth.) My guess this will take place at the end of the current term, which is June of next year - seven months away.

I don't believe this talk of "stare decisis" and a "gradual" transformation of the Supreme Court. With five solid conservatives in there, it's full speed ahead to accomplish what the conservatives have struggled to do for decades - reverse the fateful Roe vs Wade decision of 1973. Cases are already in the pipeline to accomplish this objective.

Another question - assuming that I'm right and this indeed happens, how will this affect the 2020 elections? Great joy and celebration for the Republicans, as they roll on to historic victories in all three branches of government? Or will the tide turn and the Blue Wave engulfs all? (except for the S.C., of course!)
I still don't believe that Roe vs. Wade will be overturned. I think that the more conservative states will try to chip away at the ability to get an abortion and this may result in some kind of challenge but not sure Roe vs. Wade itself will be overturned.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:18 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
More paranoia. No one is overturning Roe v. Wade. To answer the question, the southern and middle country states would place the most restrictions on killings.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:20 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I still don't believe that Roe vs. Wade will be overturned. I think that the more conservative states will try to chip away at the ability to get an abortion and this may result in some kind of challenge but not sure Roe vs. Wade itself will be overturned.
You’ll see more good sense laws being upheld, like those requiring doctors who perform abortion surgery to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:27 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Just an honest question from a person who has no stake in this fight (male).

How many states will make abortion totally or at least very hard to get once Roe vs. Wade gets overturned? Will it be instant, or gradual? (laws having to be passed and so forth.) My guess this will take place at the end of the current term, which is June of next year - seven months away.

I don't believe this talk of "stare decisis" and a "gradual" transformation of the Supreme Court. With five solid conservatives in there, it's full speed ahead to accomplish what the conservatives have struggled to do for decades - reverse the fateful Roe vs Wade decision of 1973. Cases are already in the pipeline to accomplish this objective.

Another question - assuming that I'm right and this indeed happens, how will this affect the 2020 elections? Great joy and celebration for the Republicans, as they roll on to historic victories in all three branches of government? Or will the tide turn and the Blue Wave engulfs all? (except for the S.C., of course!)
You have a "stake" in it. Directly because of your wife, girlfriend, sister and female friends. And, men who will be "forced" to have children they may not want or be able to care for--emotionally or financially. We all do.
They can move full speed ahead. They will get full speed opposition, too. I'm guessing, too, an "underground" system for abortions. Many health care professionals would help so "back alley" abortions wouldn't occur and women who could die from infection, hemorrhage, etc.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:27 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Oh stop.
Roe vs Wade will NOT be overturned by the SC and you Dems know it.
You use this to stir up anger, division and fear.....shame on you Dems
Five years is my guess. Not a question of “if” but “when”. The new supreme court has been the primary goal of hard core right wingers for decades and, what are their biggest concerns aside from getting richer? Abortion and guns. Roe vs. Wade will ultimately be overturned within the next decade. Kananaugh’s confirmation marks the beginning of a massive change in our nations law, particularly those dealing with right to privacy and 2nd amendment rights. Let’s be honest, Trump’s victory in 2016 was a turning point for this country and the resulting make up of conservative justices in the majority are the nails in the coffin. A very sad reality.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:32 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
For God's sake, it's not getting overturned. Who fed you liberals this garbage?
Ah...conservative Christians.

Quote:
One of President Trump's evangelical advisers says America's evangelical Christians are more confident than ever that the landmark abortion case Roe V. Wade could be overturned under Trump's presidency.
https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-of-confidence

Quote:
Evangelicals are hopeful that with the retirement of Justice Anthony Kennedy, President Donald Trump's second Supreme Court nominee is not only pro-life but will fight to overturn Roe v. Wade.

A conservative justice would give the high court a 5-4 majority in favor of backtracking on abortion rights.
Here's How the Supreme Court Can Overturn Roe v Wade | CBN News

Old 10-07-2018, 07:33 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,169,313 times
It may not be overturned but for the states chomping at the bit with new rules it will in effect be overturned. For example the heartbeat bill in some states. Well with technology you can hear the heartbeat very soon.

This will impact poor people especially those living in conservative states. However the rich will have the money to travel to another state to have the procedure done. I’m not too naive to think those in the Bible Belt don’t have unplanned pregnancies that they carry to term. Young adults are careless, and that will never change.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:33 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,933 times
All of the southern and midwest states will. The result will be those states will have thousands of unwanted babies thrust onto their public payroll and the red states will have to suck off the teet of the blue states even more than they do now.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:35 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You’ll see more good sense laws being upheld, like those requiring doctors who perform abortion surgery to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital.
Doctors who perform abortions are all associated w/ a hospital or clinic. They have medical licenses, too. The facilities where they are performed have to meet standards, etc.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:37 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
I would say don't let them get you into a state of hysteria and have a fainting couch if things get too much for you to handle.
And if you think the far far far left doesn't want unwanted babies...., well, I envy your naivete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies